Once And For All - Refrigerate Fondant?

Decorating By Karenelli Updated 8 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm by lisasweeta

Karenelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karenelli Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 7

Can you refrigerate a fondant covered cake? I love making the fondant cakes, but am afraid to place them in the fridge which really leaves the timing of decorating a cake tricky. I would love to be able to place in the fridge and make ahead of time.
Karen

6 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 7

I buy my fondant and you CAN refrigerate the style that is made with tempered chocolate. It doesn't go sticky or gummy or wet at all when it's chilled/brought back to room temp. I buy my ivory white chocolate fondant from this place. The flavour kicks @ss too!! YUMMMY!!

http://www.mccalls-cakes.com

It goes into the fridge without any problems...but it can't be frozen or it does do the gummy/wet/sticky thing! ick!! icon_razz.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 7

lol icon_biggrin.gif
once and for all...yes! but when you take it out it will form condensation, do not touch it until it dries

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:24pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia74

I buy my fondant and you CAN refrigerate the style that is made with tempered chocolate. It doesn't go sticky or gummy or wet at all when it's chilled/brought back to room temp. I buy my ivory white chocolate fondant from this place. The flavour kicks @ss too!! YUMMMY!!

http://www.mccalls-cakes.com

It goes into the fridge without any problems...but it can't be frozen or it does do the gummy/wet/sticky thing! ick!! icon_razz.gif

Is this the same thing as Chocopan??? Just curious. TIA

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:14am
post #5 of 7

I have refridgerated MMF and Stain ice with no problems at all. I do not wrap them tightly or anything. They are loosely covered so air circulates around them.

I also have found out I can not put fondant on a cake with chilled buttercream or it just doesn't work. I know some people do but for me I have nothing but problems.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:24am
post #6 of 7

I buy the same type as Antonia74...it is what I will use for my DS's wedding cake in a couple of months....and as she says the taste is awesome.

Their plain white fondant is great as well and I regularly put it in the fridge....any fondant cake you see in my gallery as been in the fridge and i take the pics when it comes out of it so you can see there are no ill effects...
The plain white will have slight condensation on it but it evaporates and all is fine...and it also tastes super mild and lovely..NO chemical taste at all

The dark chocolate fondant is great and very easy to work with...tastes super and it also was in the fridge overnight...

I was buying it from Golda's Kitchen but they have now started sticking their own label on it...I did a taste test and it seems the same but I am going to start buying direct from McCalls...

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 8 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 7

I use Stain Ice and refrigerate it all the time, so YES!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%