How Much Batter Per Box Of Mix And Satin Ice Question...

Decorating By fytar Updated 3 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm by fytar

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 6

I know there are many topics in the past on this subject, but I have looked for a topic that tells me these answers on the batter but I haven't found one yet and time is running out on me. I usually use one DH mix for a 13X9...sometimes it is enough and other times it's not. I'm trying to figure out a price for a lady who is wanting me to price her a wedding cake.

I don't want to go into the whole "mix v. scratch" argument, so please stick with answering the above question (sorry, I use scratch on certain cakes like pound cake and chocolate cake but I always get tastier results when doing white and yellow cakes from a mix).

ANOTHER QUESTION: I went to the Satin Ice website and can't get any pricing information and when I contacted them via their request form, the information won't go through, it just gives me an error. Who do you order your Satin Ice from?

Thanks so much for your help in this matter.

Tarina

5 replies
fytar Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

bump - sorry...for some reason, my posts never show up on the home page unless I respond to someone else's post, never when I am the author of a new post.

Any answers to my questions?

kisha311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisha311 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 6

My recommendation is to do the usual cost per slice for the wedding cake. It is easiest and you don't have to worry about an exact amount for the number of mixes it would take each time around per pan.

As for the Satin Ice, I use bakedeco.com. They are having a sale on their fondant right now and I have stocked up on the 20lb containers. I like that size because I was able to complete an entire wedding cake with it and still had some left.

Good luck!

fytar Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for that website...I'm going to check it out.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 6

Though I havent made any sheet cakes, the guide from wilton says that a 9x13 2 inch deep should take 7 cups of batter. A box mix only is about 4 1/2-5 cups. so I would say 1 box really isnt enough. I have found the batter measurement guides to be pretty accurate. What I would do is to make an extender and then you will have enough.

fytar Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, I was thinking the extender would give me enough to make up the batter amount needed. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%