Note To Self: Fbct Doesn't Work In Humidity

Decorating By missmeg Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 2:01am by caprica

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

I made a really cool "baseball diamond" cake this weekend. For those who have pics of them in the gallery - thank you!!! I used many different ideas to come up with the design.

The Birthday Boy (turning 37) is a Red Sox fan, so I did a really cool FBCT of the logo, planning on putting it on the side of the cake. I was so proud of myself.

Unfortunately, I failed to take into consideration that 93 degree weather (and only one window AC unit to cool the entire house) would not be a friend to the FBCT. Considering I was trying to put it on the *side* of the cake, not the top.

Whole thing melted and broke apart in the 12 seconds from freezer-to-counter. It was a mess and unsalvagable icon_cry.gif.

I had to scrape what had stuck to the icing and write a messy "PLAY BALL!" to try and cover up the mess.

And to make matters worse...I forgot to take a picture of the cake icon_cry.gif . Other than the FBCT problem, the cake turned out really great thumbs_up.gif .

And it turned into an order (the cake was a surprise for a friend), because they want to have a similar cake for a 50th surprise party in October.

4 replies
Maria071 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria071 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry that happened. I'm in NH too and we don't have central air or anyting making a cake when it's humid is awful even standard buttercream can be hard to work with.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 5

When the heat and humidity are bad and i need to do a BCT i take the waxed paper transfer, position on the cake then pop the whole cake in the fridge until the transfer is solid Then with the cake in the fridge peal the paper off the transfer. Of course i have never done them on the side of the cake so i don't know if the fridge would work with the transfer on the side.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria071

I'm sorry that happened. I'm in NH too and we don't have central air or anyting making a cake when it's humid is awful even standard buttercream can be hard to work with.

I remember a graduation cake I did a few years ago in high NH humidity (90 degrees & 70% humidity). The BC was sweating so bad I kept having to blot it with paper towels icon_surprised.gif. It looked like the cake had been rained on.

caprica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caprica Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 2:01am
post #5 of 5

ok, so this problem isn't just me... the melting icing thing- I was starting to think that physics ceased to exist within my kitchen.

It sounds like a really cool cake- and we are also BIG Red Sox Fans here in Maine. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%