Antonia74's Icing...question

Baking By TiffTurtle Updated 8 Oct 2006 , 11:53pm by flavacakes

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 21

i was wondering if anyone could tell me if this icing gets hard like regular royal icing? i want to use and icing that people can eat with out breaking teeth on it ...plus my kids wont even eat the flowers that i have done in royal icing before and thats bad cause they eat pretty much anything. lol

Thanks yall!!

20 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 21

It sets hard enough to stack the cookies, but not so hard that you'll break your teeth. It tastes wonderful too! I'll never use royal again on a cookie!

SweetInspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetInspirations Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 21

What is Antonia74 icing? Sorry newbie here.....

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 21
SweetInspirations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetInspirations Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 21

Thank you so much "jstritt"!

flavacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flavacakes Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 21

Does anyone know if you add flavor to it if you need to cut down the liquid or not? Or maybe it doesn't need flavor?

lcdmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcdmarie Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 21

I thought Antonia74 recipe was royal icing
I am confused??

flavacakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:55am
post #8 of 21

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's royal icing. icon_smile.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:25am
post #9 of 21

I don't know why you guys don't want to PM me directly to ask icon_sad.gif , but I am always available to answer any questions you have about my recipe! I hope it's okay to butt in here to help out? icon_confused.gif

My recipe is a royal icing, but the technique is to thin it with water to make it easy to use and to eat. It is not a rock-hard, break your teeth icing. It takes to the cookie and is hard to the touch on top, so you can pack or stack the cookies when dry BUT it stays soft underneath because of the butter content in the cookies you are decorating.

antonia74 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:29am
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavacakes

Does anyone know if you add flavor to it if you need to cut down the liquid or not? Or maybe it doesn't need flavor?

The meringue powder I purchase from a wholesaler has vanilla flavouring already built into it, so i don't add it to my recipe. You can certainly add flavouring though. I suggest a non-oil-based extract like vanilla, but I don't recommend an oil-based extract. Oil mixed with royal icing is warned to "break down" the icing and to not allow it to dry as quickly or fully at all.

ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:33am
post #11 of 21

So how does your icing hold up for flowers, etc. I was going to try it but didn't have any cream of tarter handy, so went with the Wilton recipe this time, but might try it next batch.

antonia74 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 21

I use it for flowers in the thick consistency, i.e. not thinned with the extra water. It's perfect for me.

flavacakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 7:39pm
post #13 of 21

antonia74, of coarse you can butt in!!! The reason I didn't pm you was because I thought you might be busy seeing all the beautiful work you do!! But it's nice to know you don't mind if we pm you because I probably will! Thank you!

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 12:23am
post #14 of 21

I just want to tell you all who haven't used antonia's icing, it's extremely good. I did cookies for the first time back in may for a baby shower and the mother ( which is my cousin), told me for x-mas all she wanted was those cookies with that frosting. It is an excellent recipe.

antonia74 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:37am
post #15 of 21

Please do PM me anytime. I'm on here at least once (okay okay, maybe even twice!) per day and I absolutely ADORE helping and learning from everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 6:17am
post #16 of 21

Thanks yall. Im going to make some icing tomorrow to decorate the cookies that i made tonight.

and Antonia...im sorry that i didnt Pm you...until i read this i didnt even know that you could do that. :S

mysonshines Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonshines Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 11:46pm
post #17 of 21

I used Antonia's icing on cookies last week (the texas bandana ones in my photos). I used red mmf on the bottom and piped with Antonia's. It was so easy to use and held up perfectly! I want to try making letters/words (ie Happy Birthday) ahead of time, let harden and transfer to the cake. I'm wondering if this recipe is the one to use for this, too.

debrab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrab Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 11:54pm
post #18 of 21

I was curious is there was a subsitute for the cream of tartar? What happens if you don't use it?

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 9:20am
post #19 of 21

Hi,
I just wanted to add that I have been adding a little lemon extract to the icing and it is YUMMY!!
JoAnn

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 7:11pm
post #20 of 21

I added about a tsp of Creme Bouquet to antonia74's recipe and it is awesome! Not to sweet! thumbs_up.gif I've also added Lemon, Orange, and Vanilla to it before. They all taste great. But Creme Bouquet is my new fave! icon_biggrin.gif

flavacakes Posted 8 Oct 2006 , 11:53pm
post #21 of 21

Where do you get creme bouquet? I've never seen it anywhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%