Spots In My Icing

Decorating By CakeNewbie Updated 9 Jul 2005 , 8:16pm by melissablack

CakeNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeNewbie Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 6

What did I do wrong? I decorated a cake last night using all shortening buttercream. I tinited the icing teal, and my cake looked good last night. But today when I got home from work, there were spots in my icing! It's little round white spots. Not like mold, but more like the color just dissapered in those spots. What happened???

5 replies
msbask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbask Posted 7 Jul 2005 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 6

Sounds like maybe the icing just wasn't mixed long enough.

DesignsbyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsbyD Posted 8 Jul 2005 , 12:28am
post #3 of 6

Did you sift the sugar? I never sifted until that one time I got spots in my frosting. Now I sift, sift, and mix well

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 6

Did you use salt in your BC recipe?? If so that is probably your culprit!!! Salt will react with different minerals etc stemming from your water supply...assuming you may have used water in your recipe.Try dissolving the salt first.I don't use salt in my BC recipe to cut down the sweetness(personal preference) as I feel you don't need to but try omitting the salt or doing what I suggested!

Misska21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misska21 Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 6

Yes, my guess would also be the salt. That is a good tip to dissolve the salt in the water!

Jess

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 9 Jul 2005 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, I was going to say it's probably the salt. I had this happen to me when I started using a new BC recipe with salt in it. It tastes SO much better than my old one, but the white spots would appear the second day. I put the salt in with the boiling water in my recipe, which dissolves it, and I haven't had any problems with white spots ever since.

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%