Signs In Your Yard

Business By Bubsmoma Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 1:21am by southerncake

Bubsmoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubsmoma Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 17

If I wanted to put a sign in my yard in NC do you have to have a Tax ID #?? Im just doing cakes as a hobby.

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 17

It's likely to be more of a zoning issue.

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 17

In MO, I am a licensed homebased bakery and still can not advertise in my yard.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 17

yep I'd call your town hall and speak to someone in zoning. Your tax id# shouldn't have anything at all to do with it.

ivykate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivykate Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 17

this is totally off subject but kinda the same idea. I live in NY and have a home day care, when I put up a sign i was told by my local telephone co. that i was now being charged a business rate($40 more a month) just for having a sign, and the sign didin't have my phone # on it !!! So be careful how you advertise. The sign did come down immediately.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 17

the minute you put sign -- that's advertising ...

and that means -- it's a business

and that means:

1) MUST be inspected by Dept. of Ag (they cover home cake bakers in NC)

2) have a business license for local authority (town, county, etc.)

3) must have in NC at least state Tax ID -- must collect and pay sales tax

4) do check w/ local zoning -- you may not be allowed to do a home business in your area (this varies considerably location to location)

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

the minute you put sign -- that's advertising ...

and that means -- it's a business

and that means:

1) MUST be inspected by Dept. of Ag (they cover home cake bakers in NC)

2) have a business license for local authority (town, county, etc.)

3) must have in NC at least state Tax ID -- must collect and pay sales tax

You beat me to it Doug!!! I was also going to add, if you are in a rural area, you probably can just put out a sign if you meet the criteria above. I am not within the city limits, so I could put out a sign without a permit. If I were in the city limits, I would have to purchase a sign permit.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 17

Ummm......a sign is considered a form of 'advertisement'. I am legal, therefore, I put my sign in my front yard, as well as on my vehicle doors......and I live in the country. I am not zoned where I am......so no problems there. It's easy to get licensed in NC.....check into it. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 17

If you live in a subdivision, also check your homeowners assoc rules. In our subdivision, no signs of any kind are allowed except "for sale" signs.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 17

OH GOOD LORD, gimme my sign I clicked on to see who was singing in the yard. nevermind!!!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 17

Doug is 100% right. I am liscensed and can't have a sign because

1. Raleigh zoning doesn't allow it.
2. My homeowners' association doesn't allow it.

Also, in Raleigh at least, if you want to have a sign on your car, it needs to be approved as part of your business license application. I'm not sure if that is part of the zoning, too, I just thought I'd mention it.

Kathi

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Also, in Raleigh at least, if you want to have a sign on your car, it needs to be approved as part of your business license application. I'm not sure if that is part of the zoning, too, I just thought I'd mention it.

Kathi

more likely just another way for the city/county to put it's hands on your money! icon_rolleyes.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin

OH GOOD LORD, gimme my sign I clicked on to see who was singing in the yard. nevermind!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Ladybug6509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug6509 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 17

Even if you live in a rural part, you should check with the county. I live in rural Hope Mills, which doesn't care what I do, but Cumberland County requires that I have a home office permit. I am allowed to have a sign, up to a certain size but I haven't bothered with it.

southerncake Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Kathi

more likely just another way for the city/county to put it's hands on your money! icon_rolleyes.gif

So, so true!! In our city limits, your sign permit $$ is based on the size of the sign, ## of signs, etc. It is crazy!!!

Also, on another note regarding if you live in a community -- I am way out in the country now and the county I live in doesn't have a lot of rules regarding businesses; however, the community/development I lived in previously had a lot of restrictive covenants -- one of which was no home-based businesses of any kind!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:14am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

however, the community/development I lived in previously had a lot of restrictive covenants -- one of which was no home-based businesses of any kind!

You mean no Avon ladies? icon_surprised.gif

southerncake Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncake

however, the community/development I lived in previously had a lot of restrictive covenants -- one of which was no home-based businesses of any kind!

You mean no Avon ladies? icon_surprised.gif

That was exactly what one of my neighbors asked icon_wink.gif !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%