Silly Question - Buying Cake Flour?

Decorating By allie73 Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm by alimonkey

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:40am
post #1 of 7

Hello all,

I've never tried baking with cake flour as the price deters me - I just take 3 Tbs. out of every cup of a/p flour I use.

In any case, I checked a HUGE supermarket in my area and the only cake flour they sell is Softasilk and it's almost $3.00 for an 8 cup box. Is there any other place to get cake flour at a more reasonable price, and in a larger quantity? Thanks a bunch!

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:15am
post #2 of 7

I buy it in 50lb bags from GFS. It's really inexpensive, around $12 or so, if I remember correctly. It's called a "9" item, they have to order in in special, but the manager I deal with says it's no problem.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

karateka - what's GFS?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 7

GFS stands for Gordon Food Service. They have good prices and you can buy in bulk. I don't know if they have one in your area, but I love mine.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 7

I've read that White Lily is a good second to Softasilk. Its a soft wheat flour that is also made by pillsbury. I used in in a recipe (I've never used cake flour before) and it had a very fine delicate crumb as many describe cake flour to produce. Its sold in 5lb bags right next to the all pupose flour and is comparable in price to all purpose as well.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much! I will check with the Gordon's that's near my parents' house and also check for the White Lily brand.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 7

Alana - White Lily is a great idea. I don't know why I never thought of it. It's considered biscuit flour because it's softer flour than all purpose and makes a more tender biscuit. Brilliant! And so much cheaper than Swan's Down.

We don't have GFS here, but I'm going to give White Lily a try and see how it turns out.

Thanks all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%