"search" Feature In Forums

Decorating By MicheleH Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 7:05pm by MicheleH

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:44am
post #1 of 8

I can't for the life of me figure out how to search for a topic in the forums section. I'll type in something like, "tall wedding cakes" to see what others have posted and it brings up all sorts of weird topics. I'm sure I'm just not doing it right, but it is very frustrating!!

7 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:50am
post #2 of 8

make sure you click the spot where it says search for all terms (2nd one under the box where you type your query). If you search for any terms, then any time the word "cake" or "tall" or "wedding" appears in a post that would be a result for your search. Another option lower down in the search page is to "search topic title only". I usually try this first because you'll get far fewer returns than searching the title and the message text. It is a less than perfect system, by far.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:52am
post #3 of 8

I agree with what alanahodgson said. Also, don't put "" around your text. I don't know why but it doesn't work when you do that.

Letmebeurdesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Letmebeurdesignr Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:53am
post #4 of 8

i have that same problem...i cant get what i want to come up

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #5 of 8

I want to know JanH secrets....I am beginning to think she has all of CC memorized icon_confused.gif Come on Jan ---spill it

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:06am
post #6 of 8

My theory on JanH is that she's got those links organized off the server. I think she's got this awesome database of her own where she stores this stuff and can just call it up at the touch of a button. Come on JanH, come clean!!! Well, if that's not the case, I was thinking about creating my own such filing system for the stuff I want to save because this system is too difficult to navigate quickly.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:29am
post #7 of 8

The best way to get results on tall wedding cakes would be to enter tall wedding cakes (no "", it confuses the search engine and pulls up results from all threads) and click search all terms and click search topic only. Also sometimes it's better to be more vague. Just enter tall in the search line and click the same 2 functions and you'll get a little bit different options.

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks to all for guidance, that seems to work much better!! Now I hope to look up things FASTER!! I am a woman with noooo patience!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%