Whipped Cream Frosting - Which Is Best?????

Decorating By chelleb1974 Updated 7 Oct 2006 , 1:16am by jwm296

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all! I am looking for a whipped cream frosting that I can also use to pipe shells and ruffles with. I have looked in the recipes section and read through and printed out the ones for whipped cream frosting. I was wondering if anyone has tried them and what your opinions are on them. I was also wondering how the whipped cream buttercream was.

Thank you all for your opinions and comments.

~Chelle

10 replies
debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 11

whipped cream buttercream is delish. you can find many posts on this frosting. most of the cakes in my photos were done with whipped cream buttercream. its not overly sweet at all and you can still pipe with it.

danette62602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danette62602 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 11

Bumping this one!!!

I have a cake coming up in a few weeks and the customer wants the "whipped" type frosting and I have neer tried any of them so I would love to see what people like the best!!!

luv2giggls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2giggls Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 11

i would love to know the answer to this too. Great question. Here's a bump.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 11

Debbie,

Thank you for your opinion. Does the whipped cream BC taste more like BC or more like whipped cream????

Thanks a bunch,
Chelle

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #6 of 11

I posted a reply with a recipe to a post titled "Crusting whipped cream frosting " about a week or two ago. You'll have no problem with shells. You may have to add a little more sugar to stiffen it for ruffles, or it may work fine the way it is. I have no problem with it doing basketweave. If you can't find the post, let me know and i'll post the recipe again

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:39am
post #7 of 11

I have tried 2 different types of whip cream frosting. It was the Wilton whip cream frosting(it is in a box) and Rich's whip topping non-dairy. The rich's is in a can . I liked them box and they did a good job with decorating. I have not made whip cream from scratch. Have not found a recipe that was stabilized whip cream.

Monique icon_smile.gif [/b]

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:18am
post #8 of 11

chelleb1974 its not as sweet as buttercream. I havent made any other whipped cream frostings but this has a very smooth texture and its fluffy and it does crust enough if you let it sit for about 10 mins to use the viva method. I'm sorry if i didnt totally answer your question but i havent had buttercream in such a long time. i've kinda been sticking to whipped cream buttercream because its like the bakery frosting and we love it. if you wanted you could do 1/2 the batch just to try it out but i havent had any complaints. the recipe says approx 3 cups but its actually 8 cups of frosting with the recipe. Just asked hubby to describe the frosting and he said "sweet & creamy". hth

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 11

I'm still new and trying to figure it out, but how do you find a recipe based on who wrote it? I couldn't find the message that was mentioned of the whipped cream recipe mentioned either! Help!

Melissa

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks for posting chelleb1974.

I wanted to know the answer to this question too!

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 7 Oct 2006 , 1:16am
post #11 of 11

Hi
Sorry for the delay on posting...........been a hectic week. Here's the recipe I use:

2 pounds conf. sugar
2 cups shortening
1 - 2 tsps clear vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup whipping cream

Cream shortening. Add vanilla and salt. With mixer on a low speed, add sugar in about 1 - 1 1/2 cup increments, letting it mix well each time. After you have mixed abot 3/4 of the sugar, the mixture will start to get thick and pasty. I usually add a little cream so the mixer doesn't work too hard. After all the sugar has been added, pour in the remaing cream letting it mix well for a few minutes, then increase the mixer speed to a high setting and let it whip for about 8 - 10 minutes.

This will give you a pure white whipped cream frosting that will not be greasy or overly sweet. It's also easy to do shells and other borders, but too soft to make roses with.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%