Silver Help

Decorating By agroeve Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 11:50pm by miriel

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 5

i've been asked to make a replica of a car for a lads 18th birthday. he's got personalized plates so the car has to be 3d. unfortunatley the car is all silver can anyone tell me the best way to get this effect. i have silver dusts but its going to be 10" and i'm worried that everyone will be glittery when trying to cut and eat it.
i hope someone can help as its due this saturday

4 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 5

Use your silver luster dust, and mix it w/ some lemon extract. You may have to do a couple coats, to get a nice consistant coverage, but it works. I just posted a picture in my gallery, with bows that I painted silver.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 5

I would cover the cake in grey, then add some silver and pearl luster dust for some shine. Buff it with a brush (someone suggested a large make up brush).

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 5

Sometimes that's a side effect, I had an order on the weekend and had to hand paint the cake to get close to the right blue, I warned her as soon as i delivered the cake that everyone's mouth would probably be blue! icon_biggrin.gif

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 5

If you apply the luster dust wet (using vodka or extract) OR if steamed when applied dry, the luster dust is less likely to come off during serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%