Anyone Visited Dallas/ft.worth. Where To Go? What To Do?

Lounge By 1234me Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 2:06am by cakemomne

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 7

as crazy as it sounds, I live in the DFW area so I know the towns both well. I am having a group of friends come into town and we will have one day for touristy things. I am not sure where to take them. We don't want to go to Six Flags or anything like that but show them more of what DFW is about. It is hard for me to think since I have lived here. Any ideas or suggestions from others in the area who have had visitors or from anyone who has visited Dallas. I am going to go look at their visitors sites but thought I would look for ideas here too.

Thanks!

6 replies
cc7190 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cc7190 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 7

We go to Dallas about once a month to visit my mother and never have a shortage of things to do! We have been to the Dallas World Aquarium a few times, and love it every time we go. We also went to Grapevine a few months ago. They have an old train district that was pretty neat. We took a little train ride, saw the museum, and then wandered around the shops. There was even a glass blowing studio where you could watch them blow the glass!! So cool! And no trip is complete for us without a trip to Ikea! icon_lol.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 7

I've live in DFW for 13 years and find it the most boring area anywhere. I'm originally from Chicago, then lived in San Antonio. DFW doesn't come close to either of those cities as far as sightseeing and touristy stuff.

Now that I'm done complaining icon_wink.gif I also recommend Grapevine. You might be able to do a Delaney winery tour, lots of cute little shops up and down Main Street, including a chocolate shop. Visit the Gaylord Texan but be sure to buy something or eat something inside so you can get your parking validated. The train museum on Main Street is kind of interesting. You can take the train to the FW Stockyards. I've never done it, but I've heard it's really boring. LOL

Then, you can spend the night at Main Street Blues Room in Grapevine for live music and EXCELLENT food.

There's also Grapevine Mills Mall and Bass Pro, if your friends are into lots of dead, stuffed animals (at Bass Pro, not Grapevine Mills LOL).

Cynda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynda Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 7

I live in Dallas and there are somethings to do but it is so hot that its better just to stay inside- not a fan of the heat icon_sad.gif
It is fun to go inside the Reunion Tower to look out- the big ball in Downtown Dallas. They have binoculars that you can see all the way to Ft. Worth!
The Aquarium is also fun. I like the Ft. Worth zoo of course thats an day event. Grapevine is also fun been there once with my sister for the grape fest- we had a blast!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 7

I love the FW zoo, too. But, it's so hot right now, all the animals do is sleep.

The aquarium is cool. It's always under construction, tho, so it's a good idea to check and see if any of the good exhibits are closed. It's happened to me twice!

You could kill 10 minutes visiting Southfork Ranch. Bleh! LOL

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 7

I'm with ya' Diane, not a great place for visiting the sites! If you like heat, traffic, construction and chain restaurants, they'll love Dallas! I'm not all that familiar with Ft. Worth, but heard the downtown area was fun. If they like to shop, the Galleria is nice, or Grapevine Mills is fun. A fun place to have lunch on Sunday is the Blue Goose, on lower Greenville. A movie and dinner at The Shops at Legacy - the Angelika theater is nice, and highly recommned dining at Jaspers! It's just so blasted hot out now, I try to stay indoors or at the pool!

cakemomne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemomne Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:06am
post #7 of 7

My friends and I hit Dallas for weekend trips, the first time we went, we wanted to see the grassy knoll etc. We have been to a Mystery dinner, and to the Medieval Times both sort of hoaky but fun if you are in the right mood. Shopping is always good, but we are all small town girls who do not often have the opportunity to shop without our kids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%