First Time Wedding Cake, Best Decorating Medium?

Decorating By evilsmiley16 Updated 5 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm by Relznik

evilsmiley16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evilsmiley16 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 6

Need recipes, Should I use Fondant, it doesn't taste very good, or Frosting, which will spread smooth and not be too runny? i Also heard about a type of chocolate you make that can be used instead of fondant? Help! the wedding is only a couple of weeks away!

5 replies
katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

I would find out what the bride wants first. Did she specify anything?

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:37am
post #3 of 6

some other things to consider: is the reception outdoors in the heat and sun? What do you feel confortable working with?

Modeling chocolate is similar to fondant and can be rolled out and used to cover a cake. Also, rolled butter cream can be used to cover a cake (my personal favorite). And you can make yue own fondant (MMF) and add whatever flavoring you like.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 6

What the bride wants plus what you are more skilled at and what you prefer to work with. Some are fondant only ..... I'm BC only.

In this industry, I don't think there is a "best" ..... only many, many opinions that take in many, many factors.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with Debi, what is your area of expertise? That is the best medium to work with icon_wink.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6

It depends what you're used to. If this is your first wedding cake, perhaps you might feel less stressed if you use what you're most used to.

I mean, I wouldn't know where to start with frostings or buttercream - but that's because I've only ever used sugarpaste. But, that's the 'norm' in the UK... I don't think I've seen any UK cake websites with cakes covered in anything other than sugarpaste (fondant).

Good luck - hope it goes well for you.

Suzanne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%