My First Edible Image...check It Out

Decorating By stephanie214 Updated 4 Oct 2006 , 5:00am by veejaytx

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 22

I did my first one yesterday for the September Birthdays cake posted in my photos.

I've already downloaded some pictures that I will hopefully be able to use for my next one...can't wait.

The image didn't soak in because I forgot to mist the cake before applying. Also, I didn't trim off the edge on the right so that it wouldn't be seen. Oh well, live and learn; I was still excited!! icon_lol.gif

If you see any other mistakes, please let me know thumbs_up.gif

21 replies
subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 22

Very pretty! I like how the cake board and the border around the names match. And my favorite color combo is pink and white, so I just love it!

SweetMery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMery Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 12:58am
post #3 of 22

I think you did an awesome job with the decorations... the borders and the roses very pretty... the cake board and the borders of the names awesome....

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 1:01am
post #4 of 22

I really love it! The reverse shell border is perfect and I love the rose corners too. How did you get the sparkle all over it?

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 2:17am
post #5 of 22

Very pretty cake. I really like the swirl pattern in the icing and the sparkles.

CShields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CShields Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 2:50am
post #6 of 22

Hi Stephanie:

You did a nice job on you first trial transfer. Since I have been in the business of making edible transfers for over five years for customers and myself, and have a website business, I have one suggestion when you do a cake with edible transfers. After frosting your cake, while the frosting is still damp lay your transfer on the cake and when you have it positioned correctly, use a fondant smoother on the transfer to smooth out any bubbles or air pockets that may have collected under the transfer. Only use the fondant smoother in about the first 15 seconds or so after you have laid it over the cake. Once the transfer begins to blend into the frosting, don't touch it or you will either make finger prints on it or even worse pull up some of the transfer that will be starting to adhere to the cake. Then, do a small border of piping on the edge of the transfer because it will give the cake a more finished look. I am attaching a photo of a cake I did for my boss' birthday that illustrates the idea that I am stating.
LL

stephanie214 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 22

Thanks so much everyone.

CakeDiva73'

I used the Disco Dust foer the sparkles.

CShields,

Thanks for the tips. I love your cake...is it airbrushed also?

*Questions*

Do I wait to smooth my icing after applying the image?. Can I lay the Viva on the image to smooth?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 22

Hi Stephanie. I get my BCI as smooth as possible before I apply the edible image, you really can't smooth it much afterward as CShields said.

My very first one (Sponge Bob in my photos), I touched it to try to smooth a bubble, it tore, and then when I tried to repair the rip it was impossible to match the color and fix it with BC.

No, I would not use the viva towels on it, especially not if it is at all damp. Janice

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 22

stephanie214 Awesome job for your first transfer. I agree with CShields you have to pipe a border around the transfer. It looks better. The first time I did one for my daugther's birthday I did it like you did but I did not like how I saw the edge of the transfer. When I Did my second one I liked it a lot better. As CShialds said it gives it a more dinished look.

All in all Great work. I always love your cakes.

stephanie214 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

I can't believe how much fun I had. I even found designs on my Microsoft Picture It software that I didn't even know I had.

thumbs_up.gif

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:54pm
post #11 of 22

nice job!

CShields Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Thanks so much everyone.

CakeDiva73'

I used the Disco Dust foer the sparkles.

CShields,

Thanks for the tips. I love your cake...is it airbrushed also?

*Questions*

Do I wait to smooth my icing after applying the image?. Can I lay the Viva on the image to smooth?

TIA thumbs_up.gif

Yes, Stephanie, I airbrushed the planes on the sides and top of the cake. I noticed a posting after my e-mail that somehow implied that I stated you lay the edible transfer on a lumpy, frosted surface of the cake and then use a fondant smoother to "iron" it out. Please do not get the impression that I said that! I naturally thought that you and everyone else would first completely smooth the surface of your iced cake as flat, dip-free, or hole-free as possible . . . then you lay the transfer down on that surface and carefully smooth the transfer's surface with your fondant smoother. The smoother will push out any air pockets or bubbles that many times gets trapped between the transfer and the cake's surface when you place that transfer on the cake. After smoothing the transfer and cake's top, please do not use the Viva towel method on the area you have just laid the transfer on. When the transfer sets you will see that your transfer has melted into your icing and will be smooth and not have any ugly bubbles trapped between the edible transfer and the cake. thumbs_up.gif

stephanie214 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 12:48am
post #13 of 22

No problem icon_wink.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:31am
post #14 of 22

You did an awesome job.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 3:53am
post #15 of 22

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 6:32am
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

I noticed a posting after my e-mail that somehow implied that I stated you lay the edible transfer on a lumpy, frosted surface of the cake and then use a fondant smoother to "iron" it out. Please do not get the impression that I said that! I naturally thought that you and everyone else would first completely smooth the surface of your iced cake as flat, dip-free, or hole-free as possible . . . then you lay the transfer down on that surface and carefully smooth the transfer's surface with your fondant smoother. The smoother will push out any air pockets or bubbles that many times gets trapped between the transfer and the cake's surface when you place that transfer on the cake. After smoothing the transfer and cake's top, please do not use the Viva towel method on the area you have just laid the transfer on. When the transfer sets you will see that your transfer has melted into your icing and will be smooth and not have any ugly bubbles trapped between the edible transfer and the cake. thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I get my BCI as smooth as possible before I apply the edible image, you really can't smooth it much afterward as CShields said.

It looks like this is one of those deals where one person reads a sentence one way and another person reads it 180 in the opposite direction.

It didn't read to me like you were being doubted CShields. It read (to me) like she was agreeing with you. Type can cause misunderstandings because you can't see or hear the person's tone and facial expression. thumbs_up.gif

veejaytx Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 6:37am
post #17 of 22

Thanks morg, you definitely interpreted my comment correctly, thanks for the reply. Janice

morg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morg Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 22

No problemo veejay. icon_biggrin.gif I've run forums for over a decade, and I've see this happen oh so many times...its an easy thing to happen. (Including to me, lol) I just hope CShields doesn't think I'm being a smart alec 'cause that wasn't my intent.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 22

Stephanie,

Great job on your image...I am addicted to them! icon_biggrin.gif

veejaytx Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:37pm
post #20 of 22

Hi Morg...well she took what I said wrong, lets hope she doesn't do that to you too. Thanks again for clarifying for me, I hadn't even seen her reply and I wouldn't have wanted to leave it that way. I sure didn't feel like you were being anything but helpful, and I appreciate it. Janice

CShields Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 1:09am
post #21 of 22

My apologies to "veejaytx" and "morg" for my misinterpretation. Please accept my most sincere expression to you both for my brash style and say that I am sorry. When I wrote the second note to this forum, I was trying to clarify my first unclear directions on laying an edible transfer on a cake. I jumped in with my instructions and should have first stated the most important and first rule of decorating cakes - to lay your base icing smooth like an artist's uncluttered surface to put your art and decorations on. Please know that I was not slapping anyone's hands. If anything, in the second address to the forum, I was trying to undo a bad job on my part of making my instructions unclear in the first place.

veejaytx Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:00am
post #22 of 22

Hi CShields, no harm done, but thanks for the follow-up. I wouldn't have stepped in, but Stephanie evidently posted at the same time you did and asked about smoothing before or after the image was applied. I really was agreeing with your comments, and wanted to answer Stephanie's question at the same time.

Thanks. Janice

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%