Would You Ask

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 3 Oct 2006 , 12:41am by littleredtonya

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 28

for a specific Christmas present if you know you didn't want anything else but cake decorating supplies?

I have plenty of supplies but want other things like the new cake stands, new mini or petite muffin pans, etc. I was thinking of telling all of my family to get me gift cards to Michael's or even Kroger or Walmart so I can stock up on cake mix, butter, pans, etc.

I think I will suggest it only if asked. What would you do?

27 replies
cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 28

I'm sure they would love that suggestion! I asked for a some supplies last year, and got them - I was so happy! (So was my husband, easy shopping list for him!)

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 28

My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I have let family know I'd love Michael's gift cards....combine the gift card with one of there 40% or 50% coupon and you'll have nice supplies!!!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 28

I just got a michaels card for my bday from mom in law. They have bridal and baby registrys, what about a cake registry? LOL You go on and pick what you want, and presto!
Just a thought.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 28

I think your family would love getting a list like that. I gave a ''want'' list to a couple of dear friends and received fantasic moulds!! If any, I thought I might get one or two but was treated to several!!!
So go on with your list and make shopping easy for every one!!!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 28

I also think that your family would be delighted to know what you would really like to have. I know that I would much prefer to give someone something they will use and enjoy! Give them a selection to choose from - that way, you'll still be surprised.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 28

Oh, heck yeah! I have been known to email my mom with the exact pictures, description and links, if necessary! She loves it - then she doesn't have to worry about me liking it.

I really want some more expensive goodies this year but after I took the 4 kids to Costco yesterday ( try to envision the Brady's flying down the stair..."Kids, we're going to SEARS!!" ) and we fell in love with the karaoke machine with built-in tv and the standing keyboard..... icon_redface.gif My neighbors are incredibly understanding people! icon_lol.gif

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:21pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Oh, heck yeah! I have been known to email my mom with the exact pictures, description and links, if necessary! She loves it - then she doesn't have to worry about me liking it.

I really want some more expensive goodies this year but after I took the 4 kids to Costco yesterday ( try to envision the Brady's flying down the stair..."Kids, we're going to SEARS!!" ) and we fell in love with the karaoke machine with built-in tv and the standing keyboard..... icon_redface.gif My neighbors are incredibly understanding people! icon_lol.gif

You sure they aren't just hard of hearing?? icon_lol.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 28

They WISH they were hard of hearing! icon_cool.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 28

I would not hesitate to tell people what you want. I told my sisters that I wanted a new 6qt bowl for my KA mixer and that is what I got. My daughter has bought me several cake dec books too. It just makes it easier on everyone to do that.

For Christmas we draw names since we have such an enormous family. We set a 25.00 limit. We do adults and then one for the kids. We always put down 3 suggestions on our list with our name and then throw them ina basket and draw. It is so much easier and a whole lot less expensive then trying to buy for everyone. There really is no need for that. So this year I will put down cake books or classes to something.

At least by telling people what you want they know it will not go to waste,sit idle on a shelf, be regifted OR need to go back because its the wrong size!! icon_lol.gif

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 28

I totally agree with everyone, I finally have a craft/sewing/cake storage room ALL TO MYSELF!! I would very much like to ask for Micheal's gift certificates for christmas...I love my cake decorating hobby, but I have to admit I've been flirting with scrapbooking, but it's soooooo expensive. With gift certificates I can justify it a little easier.

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 28

I really do agree.... I would rather get someone what they want instead of surprising them with something they hate.

We went a bit nuts last year for Christmas (ex-dh and I had reconciled and I think we were trying to make that "perfect" Christmas for the kids icon_confused.gif .....didn't work) so this year shall be frugal but I am looking forward to it. I already discussed with the kids and are going to do the popcorn-on-a-string-thing and some homemade gifts, etc...

I really, really want that karaoke machine, though...it has a camera so you can sing and be on the TV at the same time..... icon_redface.gif I mean the kids really want it....yeah, the kids.

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:44pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiberge

I totally agree with everyone, I finally have a craft/sewing/cake storage room ALL TO MYSELF!! I would very much like to ask for Micheal's gift certificates for christmas...I love my cake decorating hobby, but I have to admit I've been flirting with scrapbooking, but it's soooooo expensive. With gift certificates I can justify it a little easier.

I got the scrap bug a while back so now I have every tool known to man and no time to play with them....our Costco had a set of 40 alphabet or symbol punches for $14.99 and they have a memory bag on wheels for $21 - it could totally be used for carrying caek decorating supplies back and for too...

Can you tell I am trying to justify that purchase? I liked coluzzle but then I gave them all to my friend and bought the lighthouse set. Coluzzle is simple and easy and if you use a 40% off michael's coupon for each template, you will have good stuff in no time at all. PM if you ever want to "talk scrap"... I really would love to get motivated and back into that again....it was such fun!

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 28

Does costco do gift certificates??? LOL You know..."for the kids..."

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 28

Gift Cards...... yes, m'aam they do! icon_lol.gif

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 12:31am
post #16 of 28

With family and close friends (and even co-workers sometimes) I always say what I want, I told my mom in August that I wanted a KA and I know she's getting it for me (yeah!!). I already told DH that I want jewelry, I'm even going to visit the jeweler and pick out what I want!! Call me spoiled or whatever but I love to get what i want!

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 12:45am
post #17 of 28

My family and I always make a list for birthday and Christmas gifts. I've started my Christmas list already.

I want:

A cheep plastic travel steam iron. For my gumpaste flowers.

A pasta attachement for my KA. Again for gumpaste flowers.

That's all I got so far. But I will add to it as I think of things.

Joanne

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 1:24am
post #18 of 28

I told my sisters that I wanted cake decorating supplies for Christmas and they were very happy to know what to get.
I am glad that the Coluzzle was mentioned. I bought some of those items awhile back. We could use the templates to cut out fondant too couldn't we?

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 1:43am
post #19 of 28

Yes, Costco DOES do gift cards! icon_wink.gif

My family always makes a wish list for Christmas and birthdays. Why just let the kids have all the fun?? We put a bunch of stuff on there with various prices, so anyone can choose something within their budget. I think my dad even put an RV on his wish list last year. Well, he's still wishing for that! LOL

I love getting lists from everyone too. It really takes the guess-work out of trying to find that "perfect" present. I'd say go ahead and put a list together - especially for the decorating tools. Someone who isn't familiar with decorating would have no idea what you're talking about unless you specified exactly what you want.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 1:52am
post #20 of 28

I agree with everyone...my family loves a list of things that I want....already started my list (and got my turntable for my b-day this past week).....

jaitee69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaitee69 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 1:59am
post #21 of 28

We always do lists, too. I think it makes life easier for everyone, especially the husbands - they take their list and do one long shopping day and they're pretty much done! If I get a list, at least I know that I'll be giving some gifts that they asked for.

Speaking of which, anybody have any suggestions for cake, cookie or chocolate books? I don't have any yet, and I want to give some specifics for my wish list this year! If you know of any, please PM me with the names.

My final suggestion - give a list! Everyone will thank you for it, and you'll get things you really want!

Deanna

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 2:09am
post #22 of 28

I would definitely ask. i think it's interesting that some families "ask" and others don't . my family is the kind that exchanges lists at Thanksgiving for christmas, and they always want a list from the kids for their b-days. my husband's family does not do this. so it was an adjustment when we first started getting gifts for each other icon_lol.gif

MeloMiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeloMiMi Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 2:17am
post #23 of 28

I also make a list of items I expect to receive. If someone ask me for a particular gift I buy what they ask for unless I absolutey cannot find it.

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 2:25am
post #24 of 28

My family used to exchange lists for gift giving. We did away with the "lists" last year though. Really, if your family doesn't know you well enough to know your likes and dislikes, needs and wants, then what kind of gift is it really? It then becomes a present without any thought behind it.

Please don't flame me. There's nothing wrong with lists, it's just for us it took away the "thought" behind it.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 5:01am
post #25 of 28

For us, the lists are a starting point. It gives you an idea of the type of things the person wants. Although the kids might disagree - I don't read minds. icon_biggrin.gif
( edited to add: I reread this and it sounded as though I WAS flaming you. Certainly NOT my intention. The kids DO claim I can read minds - especially when they want to do something I don't want them to...)

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 6:00pm
post #26 of 28

its your family. you should be able to tell them anything. i tell my family...only thing is we do not exchange gifts anymore. just a family decision taken...nothing to do with the season.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:47pm
post #27 of 28

Great, thanks everyone for all the help.

Last year I did tell my dad that he could get me a KA mixer for my birthday and Christmas gift together since my b-day is Dec 9th. He did but I wasn't sure if I should do it again. Now I'll just let them know what I want. I want gift cards so I can get everything myself.

Thanks again!

littleredtonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleredtonya Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 12:41am
post #28 of 28

It's funny how this question came up. When not more than an hour ago my aunt called because she has my name for christmas, and was wanting to know what I was wanting. Not being very brilliant I said "I don't have a clue", and wham I get on and read this post. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. I will have to call her back tomorrow and let her know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%