Cracks In Fondant

Decorating By Jasra Updated 5 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm by SweetArt

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone have any advice? My fondant always seems to crack around the edges and it drives me batty! I am doing my first wedding cake this weekend and hope to avoid this. I use Virgin Ice, I already have a pail and would like to use it up.

6 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 7

I have heard two ways to fix this.

1. Rub some Crisco on it. (Don't know how well this works as I haven't tried it yet.

2. If the cake is already covered, cover the crack with similar colored royal.

Good luck!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 9:21am
post #3 of 7

If the rolled fondant is cracking when it is applied, then either

1. the paste is not sufficently kneaded
or
2. it is too dry a mixture and it requires a dab of hi-ratio shortening to restore flexibility.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 7

Here is a site I found that has a few little videos on doing fondant. They are short but being a newbie with no schooling they helped me a lot.

http://www.atecousa.net/learn/index.shtml

rach1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rach1 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 9:44am
post #5 of 7

To get rid of cracks get some icing sugar on your finger and gently rub it into the crack on the cake then with a damp finger smooth over it and the sugar and moisture bring the crack together makes it virtually invisable..You can touch up abit more withmore icing sugar on your finger and smooth over..so then you get no stickiness..

Hope that helps

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:23pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

1. Rub some Crisco on it. (Don't know how well this works as I haven't tried it yet.

I tried this and nothing was repaired. Does it keep it from tearing more perhaps? A day later, it was still Crisco-y- it didnt harden or set.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 7

If your bought fondant is cracking when applied, it needs to be kneaded more before rolling it out. I alway knead with shortening and roll out with powdered sugar to ensure it doesn't get too dry, which will also cause cracking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%