Chocolate Buttercream

Baking By andi28 Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 9:39pm by andi28

andi28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andi28 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 14

What is the best chocolate buttercream to use. There are so many in the recipe section I do not no where to start. Or what is the most popular that everyone uses.

Thank you,
Andi

13 replies
andi28 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 14

please some one tell me what is the best chocolate buttercream

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 14

Hmmm.. well it depends on what you are looking for? My favorite chocolate BC is SMBC (swiss meringue buttercream) with melted chocolate added to it... OMG.. it's to die for!! But if you use a powdered sugar based BC then I have made Toba Garrett's Chocolate BC.. it was good.. but nothing like chocolate SMBC.

beetle1948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beetle1948 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 14

Then tell me........LOL

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 14

I also love SMBC with melted Callebault chocolate and choc liqueur added to it...heavenly and sort of like mousse.

My second would also be Toba's chocolate bc as well.

If I wasn't using bc, then I would use Sarah Bernhardt Chocolate glaze which is ShirleyW's recipe..absolutely fabulous.

FromScratch Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 14

Ooooh!! I just made soem chocolate SMBC *and* I have godiva chocolate liquer in the cabinet.. I am going to have to try that!! Sounds too good to be true!

andi28 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 9:50pm
post #7 of 14

thank you i think i may try the chocolate smbc. it sounds really good

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 14

Oh I gotta get me some of that Godiva liqueur. Mm!

Anyway I am partial to IMBC so of course chocolate IMBC is soo good;. However I just this second finished a batch of ganache buttercream from the baking911 site. I must say, it is yummmy! It is easier than IMBC and I would guess a tad more durable (no refrigeration needed), kind of has the flavor of a standard powdered sugar/butter BC, but without that powdered-sugar "crunch". It's silky smooth. I'm supposed to ice a cake with it but I'd much rather eat it out of the bowl!

I would certainly recommend using 71% or higher chocolate if attempting this recipe, as it's sweet enough right now and I didn't add all of the p.s. I think if I make it again I may even make the ganache with half 71%, half unsweetened. I'm looking forward to seeing if this will crust...have no idea if the ps ratio is high enough.

Here's the url: http://www.baking911.com/recipes/chocolate/ganache.htm (sorry but it looks like CC doesn't allow it to actually link, it deletes the http and www?) - you have to look in the box off to the right, it says "Ganache Icing".

Now I have to go get back to eating--I mean icing--my cake.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 14

I Love Toba Garret's Chocolate buttercream. I don't use the liqueur I just use heavy whipping cream. It is sooooooo rich and yummy.

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 14

I just made Toba's Chocolate Buttercream today for the first time. OH MY GOD!!! It's soooooooooo delicious! It's taste like chocolate mouse.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:18am
post #11 of 14

i love the wilton chocolote buttercream, i just add extra cocoa powder in it

andi28 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 14

Where can you find the recipe for Toba's chocolate buttercream. I would love to try it, since everyone raves about it. It sounds really good.

FromScratch Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi28

Where can you find the recipe for Toba's chocolate buttercream. I would love to try it, since everyone raves about it. It sounds really good.

Here you go! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/109248

andi28 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:39pm
post #14 of 14

thank you jkalman for the recipe, it sounds so good. cant wait to try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%