Good Idea Or Not...please Advise

Decorating By newlywedws Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 6:32am by jlh

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:13am
post #1 of 13

Today, was surfing around some classified requests...and wonder of wonders I stumbled across the following advertisement:

"Need someone to bake and decorate a birthday cake: I'm combining my kids' birthday parties this year and want a cake decorated with both Tinkerbell AND the Disney Cars theme in a CREATIVE way, not just placing cake toppers on it (I can do THAT!). Or even if cupcakes can be done in an awesome way, that'd be cool...Tinkerbell cupcakes and Cars cupcakes...or two smaller cakes, one for each? ... Contact me with prices and possible pics of past cakes you've done. Thanks!...

I am contemplating answering the ad...but just wondered if I'm out of my mind - should I offer or not, they did provide some sample pics for ideas

*IF this person and I reached an agreement -what would you charge?

the "cars cake" looks like this Image

and the "tinkerbell cake" looks like Image

12 replies
keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:18am
post #2 of 13

How interesting is this ad? I would never think to post something like that, but hey, what do I know? I would say, if you are going to do something like these cakes, I'd say a MINIMUM of $70 per cake. I say, call her, what do you have to lose? It will be interesting to see what she has to say! The Tinkerbell cake is really cute!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:25am
post #3 of 13

Unless she works for Disney and is checking to make sure no one makes/sells copyrighted cakes.

Do they do that? I mean, would someone really stoop so low as to do something like that?

I think it would be a great opportunity, if it's for real, though. Sorry for looking at the negative side of things. I would just hate to see someone get in trouble. I think it's awful Disney is so obsessed over such things. It isn't like they don't have enough money. icon_sad.gif

newlywedws Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:31am
post #4 of 13

You know the thing about the cakes that were given as ideas...I have found some Tinkerbell/Cars on CC that I like even better thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:31am
post #5 of 13

These aren't the days of Robin Hood where it's ok to steal from the rich. It doesn't matter how much money they have. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:34am
post #6 of 13

I would be really afraid to answer that. Those are copyrighted images and who knows what this person might be up to? I also find it funny that they don't want the "toppers" when those can be purchased and placed on a cake legally. I might be very wrong but I smell trouble.

mccorda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mccorda Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:41am
post #7 of 13

If you go by the pictures the lady provided, they did use cake toppers on a well decorated cake. I would think that Disney would be okay with that because they get the money from the sale of the toppers/toys. If you do decide to do it, tell her you can creatively decorate the cakes and use the toys/toppers to tie into the theme.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:43am
post #8 of 13

I know there are attorney's who look for things which they know go against copyrights. After they have purchased the item or their order has been accepted....they contact the copyright holders and let them know. Puts a little money in their pocket. I personally would not answer an ad like that and agree to do a copyrighted design.

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:01am
post #9 of 13

Forget the Licensing issue---What kind of person combines a boy and girl cake? How cheap can she possibly be? -----yet still impossibly demanding. She sounds like a pain to work with. I wouldn't want to work with someone who starts out with a bizarre and unreasonable request. Why else is she putting it out there? Probably because 5 bakeries have already turned her down.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:45am
post #10 of 13

I wouldn't touch that with a 200 foot pole and then some.

If she's cheap enough to advertise for a cake she's not about to pay
good money for a good cake.

Disney... I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. They do things exactly like this to see if people will break the copyright law on their images. Before you know it you will have their lawyers knocking on your door. You will probably be sued for a nice tidy sum that has at least two comma's in it before the decimal point.

If you follow it up I'd tell her you can do a racing theme cake and a flower cake and she can buy her own toppers or Disney items and place them on it. Get that deal in writing because if it's a trap you have signed & dated proof of your agreement.

Remember if it looks to good to be true, it probably is to good to be true.

newlywedws Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:02am
post #11 of 13

Well I did reply to her (shocking she was up this time of am) and she said that she figured she would have to get a topper but found someone else who is going to help her...so no loss on my end. Thanks for the fast replies!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:13am
post #12 of 13

If you are going to answer, I too would say that you can design a cake to showpiece the perfect toys to complement the theme. You could even recommend the toys to buy! icon_lol.gif

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 6:32am
post #13 of 13

I think the woman probably just wanted a very special cake for her kids' bday. We only get a few years to really make our little ones birthday special. It sounded like a great and exciting opportunity to show off your creativity ...and get paid for it. Sorry it didn't work out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%