Help, Help, Help.....fast!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By lardbutt Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 5:55pm by doreen1092

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:13am
post #1 of 31

I messed up 3 dozen cupcakes and had to rebake them from scratch today. Then my 11x15 sheet cake sunk in the middle for some reason. Had to rebake!

Now I am trying to get Hot Pink icing! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I can't get it! I bought Americolor fushia and it really wasn't hot pink to me. I tried adding red and what not, now I have a DOUBLE batch of buttercream icing that looks like puke!

I have to start over fast! What should I do to get hot pink????

HELP, PLEASE!!!!

Thanks, Sherri

30 replies
beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:16am
post #2 of 31

okay, heres the only help i have. i accidently made hot pink with plain old wilton pink that comes in the pack. i think its called rose pink? anyway, i put in more than i needed, and wow was it hot pink! i had to scoop half of it out and add a ton of white icing to get it soft pink, which is what i wanted.

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:17am
post #3 of 31

I can't help you in the coloring dept. but I wanted to tell you I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble!

I am beginning to think that being pregnant is somehow messing up my cakes...I baked 2 sheets today and they both fell in the middle! Every cake I have done since I found out that I was pregnant again, has had some issue going on with it...

Hope someone can help you...I just use wilton pink and don't try for hot pink and usually end up with it..LOL

GL!
Ashlee icon_eek.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:19am
post #4 of 31

Ditto on the PP; Wilton rose pink just add 'too much' icon_razz.gif I've had tons of hot pink when I didn't need it either... Hope it works out! thumbs_up.gif

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:23am
post #5 of 31

I have used just the wilton pink and added too much and it came out WAY HOT PINK!!!!

Also, on the sinking cakes, mine did the same thing yesterday and I'm not pregnant!!!! At least I hope not!!!! icon_surprised.gif So maybe its the weather....

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:25am
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersoave

Also, on the sinking cakes, mine did the same thing yesterday and I'm not pregnant!!!! At least I hope not!!!! icon_surprised.gif So maybe its the weather....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:26am
post #7 of 31

I agree with beccakelly...Wilton's rose pink will definitely give you a hot pink color.

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #8 of 31

This is a icing cheat sheet that I got from a thread a few weeks ago, I think it was kansaslaura that posted it. Hot Pink isn't on here, but yes use the wilton, and for the future, this info has been sooo great for me for all those weird inbetween colors that are so hard to get!!

Apricot 5 parts lemon yellow, 2 parts pink

Aqua 3 parts royal blue, 1 part leaf green

Avocado 3 parts lemon yellow, 1 part royal blue, 2 parts leaf green

Bright Red 1 part lemon yellow, 5 parts red-red

Brown 4 parts lemon yellow, 3 parts pink, 1 part leaf green

Burgundy 5 parts pink, 1 part royal blue

Burnt Orange copper paste color, plus yellow liquid food coloring

Chartreuse 9 parts lemon yellow, 1 part leaf green

Coral 2 parts lemon yellow, 3 parts pink

Egg Yellow 8 parts lemon yellow, 1 part Christmas red

Golden Yellow 6 parts lemon yellow, 1 part Christmas red

Lavender 2 parts pink, 1p art royal blue

Lilac 3 parts pink, 1 part royal blue

Lime 3 parts lemon yellow, 1 part leaf green

Mint 1 part lemon yellow, 1 part royal blue,1 part leaf green

Moss 6 parts lemon yellow, 1 part Christmas red, 3 parts leaf green

Old Rose 8 parts pink, 1 part royal blue, 1 part leaf green

Peach 4 parts lemon yellow, 2 parts pink

Pistachio 1 part lemon yellow, 3 parts leaf green

Purple 3 parts Christmas red, 3 parts royal blue

Rust 1 part lemon yellow, 3 parts Christmas red, 2 parts royal blue

Strawberry 3 parts lemon yellow, 5 parts Christmas red

Turquoise 4 parts royal blue, 1 part leaf green

Maroon burgundy, red-red, black

Gold start with 9.5 parts lemon yellow, .5 parts red-red, .25 parts Kelly green

Silver start with 1 part black, 1 part sky blue, added to white icing.

Vivid colors Use half margarine, and half vegetable shortening in butter-crème recipe.

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:31am
post #9 of 31

I used a lot of Wilton pink color to make hot pink frosting. There is a pic of it in my photos. Sorry, wasn't able to add the photo in this reply. Good luck

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:32am
post #10 of 31

Thank you !!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm off to try now. I'm just gonna stick my head in the oven if I go to the kitchen and don't have any Wilton rose color!!!!! Might as well, the oven has been on most of the day and shouldn't take long to preheat! icon_cry.gif

I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks again everybody! thumbs_up.gif

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:34am
post #11 of 31

Wow! Thank-you Cassie.

I copy and pasted that list.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:37am
post #12 of 31

I agree Rose pink will make hot pink or a s I think it looks like pepto bismol pink.

Cassie1686... OMG, thanks so much for posting the color chart!! How wonderful
icon_biggrin.gif

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #13 of 31

Yall, I'm starting to cry, seriously! I don't have rose, but I have plain pink. Should I try this? I'm running out of butter and shortening, not to mention nerves!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:44am
post #14 of 31

Don't throw out all the other icing that's all ugly now... I was recently informed if you take all your left over colors mix them together and add some chocolate syrup or melted chocolate to it you'll get a very nice pretty chocolate butter cream icing icon_wink.gif

lynda-bob Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #15 of 31

The plain pink works just as well--Don't worry icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:47am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGoodies

Don't throw out all the other icing that's all ugly now... I was recently informed if you take all your left over colors mix them together and add some chocolate syrup or melted chocolate to it you'll get a very nice pretty chocolate butter cream icing icon_wink.gif

Great idea! thanks!

Anybody on the plain pink?

lynda-bob Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:53am
post #17 of 31

I wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

The plain pink works just as well--Don't worry

icon_razz.gif Just making sure you saw... hehehe icon_smile.gif

katwomen1up Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:00am
post #18 of 31

You need a couple deep breaths and to just sit for about 5 minutes. You're getting too stressed. Maybe a cup a tea or ice water, something. Please relax it will be fine, really. Just walk away for a few.

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:09am
post #19 of 31

Thanks yall! I just colored it using plain pink and it came out good! I can't wait to see how it looks after sitting for a while!

This cake and cupcakes were supposed to be picked up at 3:00 today! I called and they are coming at 8:30 in the morning now.

It's all working out, but doesn't it always? icon_lol.gif

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:07am
post #20 of 31

Cassie... I didn't get the chance to thank you for that great chart! That will be very useful!

The cake and cupcakes are finished! I just have to write the name of the salon on it. (kids are still coming downstairs and bugging me every few minutes. I can't do my writing until they are asleep!)

I am so sorry that I have no idea how to put a picture on my computer, much less on here. My digital camera is on my mini recorder. I can barely figure out how to tape the kids. icon_lol.gif

Thanks again for ALL your help. I don't take it for granted! I can't believe there is a place I can go and ask questions and get answers right in my own home. CC ROCKS!!!!

Cassie1686 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:19am
post #21 of 31

No problem gals - I don't want to take credit for that chart though - I think it was kansaslaura that posted it a couple of weeks back. Much thanks to her!!

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:47am
post #22 of 31

Here's the cake, I hope this works! A special thank you to tdleath for inspiration! I loved your cake!
LL

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:49am
post #23 of 31

Yeah!! It worked!
LL

Cassie1686 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:53am
post #24 of 31

OMG it turned out sooo cute! I love the zebra print with hot pink . . . I made a cake with those colors and it just so perfectly girly!

katwomen1up Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 11:50am
post #25 of 31

It looks great, how cool. Is that the grass tip you used on the boarder?

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:27pm
post #26 of 31

Cute cake! It came out great. I also love how you matched your board.

Sorry you had so much trouble... here is a hug (( ))

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:40pm
post #27 of 31

Thanks for the color chart!!!!!!! My cakes have been sinking in the middle....... why does this happen? Is it the mix I'm using?

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:32pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwomen1up

It looks great, how cool. Is that the grass tip you used on the boarder?

Yes it was the grass tip.. And again I want to thank tdleath for the inspiration!

lardbutt Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:39pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by crablegs

Thanks for the color chart!!!!!!! My cakes have been sinking in the middle....... why does this happen? Is it the mix I'm using?

I'm sure there could be an entire thread on the subject of fallen cakes, there probaly is and I just havn't checked.

For me I havem started baking at 325 instead of 350, but yesterday, I forgot and used 350 again! i had a flower nail, but didn't use the bake even strips fron wilton either... icon_confused.gif ....Arggg!

My edges were done before the middle and as I am no expert.....that causes problems!

I rebaked at 325 with a flower nail and the bake even strips and it was perfect.....well maybe not perfect!

These are the mistakes I made, but over mixing, under mixing, and I guess a whole lot of other things could cause it to fall.

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 5:02pm
post #30 of 31

Your cake is beautiful-love the color and the "feather boa" border ! Sorry you had so many problems, but that's how we learn. Now you are an official cake expert !! (and your're pregnant--YOU ROCK)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%