Wow! Word Of Mouth Does Work!

Decorating By birdgirl Updated 4 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm by peacockplace

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 13

I have been giving a few cakes away here and there to businesses, the local baseball program, nursing home and fire department in hopes of getting business--well it worked! October is booked up and I have orders for next May already! I have a few orders for the next few months also, but it seems everyone is waiting until the last minute! So hopefully this helps those who think word of mouth doesn't work! I have orders from a city 55 miles away so yes word travels! I did not spend a penny on advertising of any kind--I used the cakes themselves.

12 replies
cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 13

Excellent! Hope you are very prosperous. Word of mouth does work.

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 13

That is great!! Word of mouth is what I am using for advertising also.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 13

word of mouth is the best form of advertising. congrats too on the future business.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Oct 2006 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 13

Congratulations!

Did you know anyone of the people that were at the fire station, nursing home, etc.? I don't think I have the guts to just walk in with a cake. Maybe I should try it.

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:00am
post #6 of 13

Congratulations!!! That's awesome!!!!!

Aztec9206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aztec9206 Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:04am
post #7 of 13

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! That's wonderful!!!!!

Keep on baking!!!!!!!

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:08am
post #8 of 13

I have gotten about half of my customers from word of mouth. It makes you feel great when someone is so pleased with what you have done for them and they talk about it to other people. I have one customer whose husband if the golf pro at one of the high-end golf courses in town and he thinks that I should make a golf themed cake and sit it on the counter in his pro-shop with some cards. He's confident that I will get orders from it. I'm seriously considering it.

Congratulations to you on your new business and I too would like to know if you knew anyone at the places you took cakes or if you just walked in with them?

Jenn

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 13

Thats wonderful!!! And thanks for the tip, I need to get some cakes out there icon_smile.gif

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 13

I admit connections to the fire department, and ball club, and to one nursing home. Through those word spread to other communities and even from one nursing home to another. I used to be shy and am ashamed to say that is not the case anymore. I have just made a cake and dropped it off at a business with a card to see what would happen--everyone was shocked to get a "gift" and they enjoyed every bite of it. I don't want to sound "braggy" but wanted to share an experience that it doesn't cost a lot of money to get going--although I have a lot to learn so that is why I hang out here!

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 13

When you drop off a cake, do you also drop off plates and spoons and stuff or just the cake?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 12:56pm
post #12 of 13

Word of mouth is almost all of my business.I have a great client base now!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:21pm
post #13 of 13

It has been great for me... maybe too great. I'm working on getting liscensed right now because I'm getting too much interest!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%