How To Do Shiny Beadwork?

Decorating By albumangel Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 2:02pm by pinkbox

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 30

My first wedding cake for my sister's wedding! I'm getting nervous...

It will be a bc iced cake with fondant drapes to look like her dress. On the drapes I'm going to use RI to pipe the design that's on her dress (see attached pic). There are shiny, crystal beads in the design- any ideas for how to replicate this with icing?

Will pearl dust, or clear piping gel mixed with the white RI work? Is there a better technique to use?

Thanks for any ideas!
LL

29 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:10am
post #2 of 30

Sadly, mixing the pearl dust with piping gel will not give you the look you want. It will be cloudy and kind of strange looking.

Try piping the "pearls" with royal icing, let them dry and then paint them with pearl dust mixed with vodka or Everclear. It's more time consuming, but you will get the look you want.

HTH

Michele

albumangel Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:28am
post #3 of 30

Thanks! I just did a test run, and used straight piping gel to put the clear "beads" in the scrollwork. I was concerned it wouldn't stay in place, but it seems to be fine. It looks OK, but maybe I'll try painting RI beads on my next practice run.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by albumangel

My first wedding cake for my sister's wedding! I'm getting nervous...

It will be a bc iced cake with fondant drapes to look like her dress. On the drapes I'm going to use RI to pipe the design that's on her dress (see attached pic). There are shiny, crystal beads in the design- any ideas for how to replicate this with icing?

Will , or clear mixed with the white RI work? Is there a better technique to use?

Thanks for any ideas!

I think I saw somewhere that Wilton is now making a piping gel with sparkles in it... check the Wilton site....

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:45am
post #5 of 30

You could use pearl dragees if you don't mind guests crunching their way through the cake!

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:00am
post #6 of 30

I have made gelatin sheets and punched holes with a hole punch and attached with a drop of piping gel then put a bead of piping gel on top... it gives it a sparkle and looks exceptionally beautiful in the dimmed lighting.

Hope this might help

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:09am
post #7 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

I have made gelatin sheets and punched holes with a hole punch and attached with a drop of then put a bead of on top... it gives it a sparkle and looks exceptionally beautiful in the dimmed lighting.

Hope this might help

May I ask, how do you make your gelatine sheets?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:13am
post #8 of 30

Yes, I'd like to know how to make gelatin sheets also. And you attach them with a drop of______?

pinkbox Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:26am
post #9 of 30

Sorry for the delay... had to run to my car..(Im at work playing)

Sheet Gelatin

Combine:
1 packet of Knox Gelatin (tried generic--not good results)
1/4 cup plain tap water

Let it sit about 5 minutes. Then over low heat, heat until completely dissolved (Make sure it doesnt boil) Do not stir vigorously.. just gently..because you will get lots of air bubbles which are not good

Pour the mixture on a sheet of acetate or other slick plastic surface, acetate (Hobby Lobby or craft store) is just competly smooth and easier to peel off. Tap on counter or smoooth with spatula.

Let dry a few days... it is ready when you notice it starting to peel away from the surface.

The place I got this recipe (cant remember where jsut printed it out) said they use it for butterfly wings too.

Hope it helps... you can also buy gelatin sheets online at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&ref=ti&id=1447&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ingredients&utm_content=thickeners&utm_term=sheet+gelatin&gclid=CMWW0rPm2o0CFQUoZAodNhgMmQ

if its easier to by icon_smile.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:27am
post #10 of 30

What about making some clear hard candy that is crushed to give it a sparkle...kind of like "ice"....You would only need slivers right?...might work...

pinkbox Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:28am
post #11 of 30

Sorry handymama... with a drop of piping gel... just let it get tacky (little dry) then it sticks right on... it really has a beautiful effect on a cake.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #12 of 30

What about making some clear hard candy that is crushed to give it a sparkle...kind of like "ice"....You would only need slivers right?...might work...

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:32am
post #13 of 30

That's so cool, pinkbox! Do you have any pictures of the effect?

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:46am
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbox

I have made gelatin sheets and punched holes with a hole punch and attached with a drop of then put a bead of on top... it gives it a sparkle and looks exceptionally beautiful in the dimmed lighting.

Hope this might help

Pinkbox, we don;t have this brand in Australia - can you please tell me how much powdered gelatin there is in "1 packet"
Thank you!!

pinkbox Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:47am
post #15 of 30

Im sorry I don't right off hand... I learned this from watching Miss Janette and helping her with a wedding cake where she used embroidery and attached this technique... then I went home and toyed with making the gelatin sheets and practicing this technique on my kids cakes... but didnt take pix.. sorry

NOw Kicking myself (ouch ouch ouch)

pinkbox Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:51am
post #16 of 30

OzCookie its 2 tsp per packet of gelatin here

albumangel Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:25am
post #17 of 30

Wow! Thanks, everyone!

I never would have thought of gelatin- what a cool idea! I will give it a try this weekend and post some pics if I get it to work.

The clear hard candy is a great idea, too! thumbs_up.gif

OzCookie Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 8:10am
post #18 of 30

Thank you, Pinkbox - I'm dying to give it a try!

pinkbox Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 4:57pm
post #19 of 30

awesome... let me know how it goes!!

(Ps What a great sis you are to do her wedding cake icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 2:23am
post #20 of 30

Yes, thanks from me also pinkbox. Can't wait to try this!

albumangel Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 4:16am
post #21 of 30

My homemade gelatin sheets are drying right now! Poured them onto the acetate this morning, so it will probably be a few more days before I see how it comes together on the cake. I did buy pre-made gelatin sheets from my local cake supply store yesterday, and they were VERY thin- the punched circles were super-thin "sequins," so I'm hoping the homemade sheets will stand out a bit more when punched.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 12:15pm
post #22 of 30

I've never made gelatin sheets so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about here, but an idea came to mind while reading this thread, why not sprinkle some super sparkle dust into the gelatin while it is wet, I would think when it dried it would give it the crystal look you might want??

albumangel Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 7:11pm
post #23 of 30

So I tried again with punching out the pre-made gelatin sheets. My piping needs some work, but I do like the way the gelatin "sequins" make the drops of piping gel on top of them glisten.
LL
LL

OzCookie Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 11:25pm
post #24 of 30

That does look good!
I'm really looking forward to seeing the full effect - your sister is SO lucky to have someone who cares so much about her, and is so talented as well! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:01pm
post #25 of 30

Have to try this. Thanks

pinkbox Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:11pm
post #26 of 30

Your gelatin sequins look awesome!! See dont cha love that effect? I do haha Thx for posting the pix

pinkbox Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:13pm
post #27 of 30

I learned a new thing this weekend at the Day of Sharing. Hologram dust. put piping gel dot and put some hologram dust and it makes it look like the sparkle of a diamond.

I just had to buy some now will play play play haha

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:35pm
post #28 of 30

I have not heard of hologram dust. Where do you get it? It sounds interesting. I have a large wedding type cake to do next month, but since I can't get dragees here in Cal. I need to find something else to get that bead look. I have got a lot of ideas from this thread. Thanks to all of you.

pinkbox Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #29 of 30

I picked it up from a vendor at one of the days of sharing... this is the website.

It had a different one on each bottle top. I got silver code (H-1icon_cool.gif and rainbow (H-21). One of the ladies had a demo cake and that effect was striking. She walked me over to where they were selling these items and showed me what to get. so Voila.

one website is www.thesugarart.com other is www.europeancakegallery.us

on both bottles the phone number is 817-297-2240.

Kim

pinkbox Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:02pm
post #30 of 30

CakesOnly made an observation. Hologram dust and Pixie Dust are the same thing. sorry if I confused anyone icon_smile.gif

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%