The First Cake You Ever Decorated

Decorating By morg Updated 13 Mar 2007 , 4:13pm by acholloway

sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 2:48pm
post #31 of 33

you'll love this...
I was about 16 and my mom turned 40. Her birthday is Oct 30th so I made her a tombstone cake from a 9x13. It had cookies for dirt, some grass (attempted grass I should clarify) and some red gel icing for blood. I also TRIED to write on the tombstone, that went real well. I can still remember that cake, although I have no pic of it anywhere.
Great forum idea!

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 3:06pm
post #32 of 33

Here's mine! I made it in November. Copied directly from the Wilton Cake decorating book... Believe it or not, it WAS a 2 layer cake.

It was a cake mix and canned frosting. My pans were from the grocery store and made all my cakes burn around the edges, and the frosting was so gooey. What a world of difference this web site has made for me!!!
LL

acholloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acholloway Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 4:13pm
post #33 of 33

My first cake was in October of last year. I am a registered nurse, but it is not my passion. For several years I have wanted to start a business of my own, but just didn't know what kind of business. I have always loved to bake, and am pretty good at it (well, at least my family says so, LOL). My mother always baked when I was growing up, so I guess I get that from her. Anyway, I decided, Hey, I think I could do this baking thing, seeing how I am always baking for friends and family anyway, now I will just charge them (LOL).
My first cake was a Halloween cake. Of course, I thought it was beautiful. It really did turn out better than I expected. At that time I had no "formal" training. I have had one Wilton Class since then, but mostly self taught and friends who decorate giving me tips, and of course this site is EXCELLENT!
As most of you have stated, after that first cake, I was hooked. I think I have finally found something I enjoy doing and am fairly good at (hope to get better). It has taken me all of my 36 years to figure out what I am good at. There is a saying, and I cannot quote it exactly, but the gist of it is, If you are doing what you love, work will never seem like work!
Wish I had thought of this about 18 years ago. Would have saved me lots of money on student loans!

I LOVE THIS SITE. Everyone has been great and very helpful.

Thanks. Sorry it was so long, just got to going and couldn't stop!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%