Brushed Embroidery

Decorating By adriandrea Updated 4 Aug 2007 , 9:32pm by alwayscake

adriandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adriandrea Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 9

Hello you all!!! I just saw two quite beautiful cakes using this technique and I have No clue How to do that ... Do you know where i can find info about that ? or tell how to the Embroidery?
I`m kind of new of cake decorating i do that once a year for my daughter birthday but I become absolutely addicted to this site.
Thanks in Advance for all your help icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 9

adriandria, welcome to cake central.

I have done a brushed embroidery cake in my photos:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=47595
You can't see the technique too well; but here's how it is done.

You pipe only one or two flowers at a time. Just the outline of the flower with tip 3. Then you take a wet paintbrush and immediately draw the brush through the petals inward so that you're sort of sunbursting the lines. I did another cake which is not in my photos that I will try to post: It's not white on white so it might show up better:
LL

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 9

Here's a great post I had saved on the technique - good advice from some seasoned experts:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/brushed-embroidery-ftopicp-4510623.html#4510623

(LittleLinda - your cake is lovely!)

cindycakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindycakes2 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 9

You can also visit wilton.com and go to decorating techniques and look under brush techniques...gives pics and informatin on how to do it. The biggest advice I could give is to only do 1 petal at a time on a flower so it will not dry on you, and you want the petals outlined in a nice 3-d rounded line, so that when you brush the icing in towards the middle of the flower, you still leave an outline. You can see a pic in my photos of a 2 tier purple cake with the embroidery technique on it to get an idea of how it looks. Good Luck, you will like this!

adriandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adriandrea Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you both for your response Hmm it sounds tricky do.... icon_confused.gif I will try and see how it comes icon_rolleyes.gif

GREAT JOB ON YOUR CAKES BY THE WAY!!! thumbs_up.gif

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 9

I just posted a cake that I used this technique on - my 2007 Fair Entry cake - I just piped the flower with a tip 2 (I think the smaller the tip, the more elegant the brushed embroidery looks) - I also think it works best with very distinct colors because its a very subtle look. Then I took a dry brush and just pulled the inside edge of the flower inward (i wasn't sure if it should be wet or dry, but in my cake, the wet brush pulled the color from underneath and smeared in my embroidery, so I went with dry).

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriandrea

Hmm it sounds tricky do.... icon_confused.gif

It's not tricky. It's easy. Mine, by the way were both done in buttercream.

I'm personally curious about using a wet or dry brush.

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 9

about using the wet or dry brush,when i was taking the wilton classes,our instructor told us to use wet,but not tooo wet either so what u would do is dip the end of the brush in water,n then dab the excess off,becasue if its too wet ull smear the icing but if the brush is dry,u risk pulling more icing away then u want,and that has actually happened to me where because the dry brush is so stiff/coarse,i end up wrecking the outline.lol,m not an expert or anything so id love to hear what other ppl think!icon_smile.gif

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 9:32pm
post #9 of 9

just make sure you keep clean-up the brush. when there is too much icing on it. It is not really that difficult, give it a try, I was surprisingly get good result on my attempt. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%