Puzzled About Gum Paste And Fondant

Decorating By karriearmstrong Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 4:10pm by edencakes

karriearmstrong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karriearmstrong Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, I really want/need to learn how to use gum paste and fondant. I have never seen it used, or even touched the stuff. However, I did read that most people don't like the taste, is that true?
Anyway, is there a thread on here about this topic, or can you all start giving pointers?
Thank you for your time.

2 replies
ME2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ME2 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 3

There are all kinds of threads on fondant. Just search the forums and you'll learn lots!

Also, check out the article on using Marshmallow Fondant (mmf). It's cheap to make and doesn't taste too bad (many people actually like it!)

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 3

First of all, welcome to CC!

You should know that gumpaste and fondant are essentially two different versions of the same basic thing: a paste made from sugar. The most important thing to know is that while they are both edible, fondant is made to be eaten, while gumpaste is typically made to use for decorations only. It dries very hard, which makes it ideal for modelling, but not very tasty.

As for fondant, there are many different types and brands and recipes. Everyone you ask will give you a different favorite, but I believe most people agree that Wilton brand is fairly revolting.

Some people like the taste of certain brands, while some people will not like fondant no matter the taste, usually because they dislike the texture. Whether you and the people you know will like it, is purely up to chance. The only way to know is to try!

I personally have never tried MMF (Marshmallow fondant), which is fondant you make at home. Some people swear by it though, and it does seem an economical option, particularly if you are just starting out and don't know if you will like working with fondant yet.

My best advice is to read up on it (if you search past threads, there are MANY covering most topics, including all things gumpaste and fondant), but more importantly, just give it a go! Nothing beats trying something with your own hands.

And remember: we're here if you need us! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%