Actual Cake Or Gc For One?

Decorating By peajay66 Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 6:57pm by bakincakin

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:58pm
post #1 of 17

My church is having their annual Oktoberfest celebration in a few weeks. As a fundraiser they always have a Silent Auction and are always in need of donations. I'd like to donate a cake.

My dilema is.....do I actually make a cake that can be eaten right away? Or do I offer a Gift Certificate to be used for an "occasion cake" at some time in the next year? Of course there would be "limits and conditions" to the GC like 'no less than 2 weeks notice before the cake is needed' and 'size limit of 12 inches' and such.

Would people rather have instant gratification or know that they won't need to worry about that cake for confirmation/graduation?

Which would you rather do?

Which would you rather bid on? (if you didn't know how to do your own)

TIA!

Peajay

16 replies
vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 17

If I'm bidding, I want to SEE what I'm bidding on! I say do one now. The gift cert. is a really nice idea, but people don't understand what's involved with baking/decorating cakes and this could get out of hand even with stipulations. Bake a nice one now and be done with it.

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 17

I too, would prefer to bid and eat now. So, I say make and take the cake!

ablksapphire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ablksapphire Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:35pm
post #4 of 17

the gift certificate is a good idea but most people I think will want to see the finished product so that they know what they're bidding on and gain instant gratification. icon_smile.gif

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 17

I concur, make it now - not only do people like to see what they're bidding on (and enjoy immediate gratification), it also means that more people will see your finished work - much better advertising for you!

Also, as others have said, a free cake at a later time could get out of hand, so to speak.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 17

I also vote for a cake now. A gift cirt is wonderful but can be a big problem for YOU later on.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 17

I usually do a gift certificate. I do it for a $$ amount - $25, 50, etc. - depending on what I want to donate. I usually put a one-year expiration date and "Order must be placed at least two weeks in advance." I include a brochure and business card.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 17

You could also just make a mini cake and include the gift certificate with it. That way people might order for a special occasion. I would put stipulations on the certificate though. Expiration date, two week notice and any thing else you can think of. I gave out some certificates about 2 years ago when I was catering for free meals and never heard from the winners.

Make sure to also stipulate that it is for "this type of cake - any additional decorations & etc. are extra."

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 17

I do a gift certificate for a certain amount, but use my mini photo album portfolio to show people ideas of what they can expect...you could also include a menu of cake and filling flavor choices (I have not printed mine up yet)...

qwww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qwww Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:51pm
post #10 of 17

Unless I know the person and their work I would rather bid on a finished item rather than a gift certificate. This is just how I think icon_biggrin.gif
Good Luck and God bless your big heart!
--Anu

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 17

Wow, I must jump back into this.....
all these stipulations, books, samples, etc.
THIS IS A DONATION!!!!
Gosh, I sure wouldn't want all that headache at a later time!!

I still say: BAKE IT NOW AND BE DONE WITH IT!!

I know all you professionals are so generous with your ideas for cakes to make it special for someone bidding, but what if the winner wants it at a time when you're busy and then I'd be angry cuz I'd be stressing about getting my other stuff done but having to do this cake.

Bake now and forever hold your piece (of cake)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:03pm
post #12 of 17

why don't you do both........why don't you make a cool cake and let them auction that off so everyone can see what you're capable of and then maybe throw in a couple gift certificates for them to also auction off...up to a certain dollar amount! The more people that know about your business the better!!!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 17

a GC order would be the same as any other in my opinion, if they want to book a date, first come first serve. that way it wouldnt be so stressful to cram in more than you could handle if your schedule was already full. just a thought. i like the idea of a mini cake and a gc with limits of course, especially if you are trying to advertise. good luck on your decision, i hope it is anxiety free!

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you for all the replies!

I should have explained my situation a little better maybe. I don't do cakes as a business.....only a hobby. I don't have a licensed kitchen, nor do I want one. If someone asks me if I can do a cake for them I won't refuse (unless it's a wedding cake - don't want to go there - too much stress!), but I'm not looking to get alot of business from this donation. I'd rather teach others how to do it themselves.

I had thought about doing both. One actual cake so people can see that I do know what I am doing and one GC so if someone needs an "occasion" cake later on they know it's taken care of. The only reason I'd put limits on it is so someone doesn't think they're getting a 5 tier wedding or anniversary cake - or one that looks like a purse or a shoe!

Maybe both is the way to go.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:37pm
post #15 of 17

I would rather bid on a gift certificate than a cake. I have bought cakes at fund raisers just to support the cause and then wind up taking it to work or giving it to someone with small children just to get rid of it. The gift certificate would mean I could plan what the cake would be for rather than standing there with a cake wondering what in the heck I was going to do with it.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 17

i would do a real cake. you will get more bids that wy. i would do the cake.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 17

I agree with most...make the cake to take to the auction.

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%