Hammock Between Palm Trees??

Decorating By srski Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 9:41pm by 7yyrt

srski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srski Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might accomplish this? I'm trying to use all things edible and want to put a fondant figure in this hammock but cannot come up with a plan. Any help would be most appreciated!

7 replies
LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 5:04am
post #2 of 8

NO one else has made an attempt so I will try.
Measure around the tree and how far beteen the trees you want the hammock. Then I would roll a thin roll of gumpaste then stick a wire in the middle of the thin roll. Curve the wire after it is in the gumpaste so that is will fit around the tree. THen with a paste machine roll out a piece of gumpaste at number 7 cut it to how big you want it. Then turn it to number 6 run it through. Keep doing this until the desired thinned amount. The thinner it is the faster it will dry so kinda hold it with gumpaste glue in the wire or gumpaste to gumpaste. Hold it for a few minutes for desired shape. You can also just hold it to desired shape then find something to let it completely dry on in that shape then Gumpast glue the pieces together.
I hope that helps or maybe sparks a better idea from yourself,
Ladybug

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 8

Are you familiar with Sugarveil icing - it drapes really well but your figure will need to be fairly light for the icing to hold it. You only need the icing and not the dispenser (I think I also saw someone provide a post on their own recipe to make this icing....).

You could make the hammock 'ropes' in a crisscross fashion; let dry until you are able to drape it (about an hour to a day depending on how humid it is in your work area); tie it around the tree, dry a bit more and place your figure in the hammock. If you use this technique you need to make the 'ropes' fairly thick because they will become brittle.

LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 8

That sugarveil icing sounds fun do you know where to find the receipy?
thanks

lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 8

I made a cake almost like the one your looking for. The cake was the 'space' between the trees. The picture is in my photos. Maybe this would help with your idea. Good luck on your cake.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 8

This is so funny! I have an order for the same kind of cake. It is for a wedding shower and I was going to do the bride and groom laying on the hammockl I was going to make the trees out of gum paste, the sand out of graham crackers and I am not sure what to do with the water...and waves...??? Definitely not sure about the hammock...I was debating on making it out of string like a real one...not like anyone is going to eat it right? Although it would be cool if it was edible....not sure what is strong enough to hold up gumpaste figures...

srski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srski Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet, but I'll let you know. The cake is due this Thursday so I don't have a lot of time.

I really appreciate all the comments and your cakes are wonderful! Keep caking!!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 8

Have you seen the baby blankets on the baby cakes that are made from icing over plastic wrap? Perhaps you could do something like that...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%