First Fbct And Image Is Mostly Black ...questions

Decorating By DebbieHouser Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 11:54pm by SheilaF

DebbieHouser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbieHouser Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first post to CC! I've been lurking FOREVER and getting great advice.

So I want to try my hand at a Frozen Buttercream Transfer. I've attached the image that I need to do. Here are my questions...

1. Because the image is mostly black should I outline in white or keep the black?

2. I usually use the wilton tube of black for details because I hate to make black icing. Can I use that to fill it in or will it be too thick? If I should make my own should i outline in the homemade or the wilton?

Its going to be small...about 4 inches by 4 inches.

Thanks!
Debbie
LL

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 5

Whether you outline in black or not will be up to you.......do you want the outer edge to have black on it??? As far as the icing goes.....I suggest you make your own and use the recipe on this site for frozen transfers....it works really well! I have made a couple frozen transfers and I did the outlines in black and liked the way they look, but I think that all depends on personal preference.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=KHalstead&cat=0&pos=1

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=KHalstead&cat=0&pos=28

oh, and here's the recipe;
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 12:03am
post #3 of 5

what I would do is not do the white outline (on your pic of the helmet) . I'd do it in black then where the mouth guard is I would still fill that in white for stability. Does that make sense? Also it depends on what color your background will be. It doesnt really matter which way you do it.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:55am
post #4 of 5

i think the helmet looks really good like that and would make a really great transfer. i would outline in white and do the white outlines like it is on the helmet. I think you definately need the white to break up all that black.

i used the wilton black before for an outline and it worked fine just get a thick outline on there. i did like 3 layers of tip #3 so if you are planning to use the black to fill in just make sure its nice and thick. you can do transfers a few days ahead just make sure you wrap it well after its frozen. I've used a freezer bag after the transfer was frozen. if you do 1 ahead of time you can make sure its all good before you have to panic at the last min. ok i'm rambling. thats it. goodluck.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 5

I use the wilton black a lot for FBCT's too. Both outlining and filling in. Mainly because I can never get a true black mixing it myself and since I do not do any cakes professionally, it's never been an issue. It's quick and easy and it works. It does bleed though, so you'll want to have a paper towel handy to absorb condensation as it defrosts. If you make the outside a little thinner, you can also press the sides flush w/the cake instead of outlining it. If you look in my photos, Tweety on my last FBCT, after it started to defrost, I simply pressed the outline softly to touch the cake. I was really happy w/the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%