[B]Important - Recall - Please Read[/b]

Decorating By ape Updated 7 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm by lionladydi

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 19

Not only for all of us moms out there, but also for us cake enthusiasts....

Mattel issued a recall on nearly a million toys that contain excessive amounts of lead paint. I personally had some of these toys that I was planning on using as cake toppers. Please take a look at the following site http://www.service.mattel.com/us/recall/39054_IVR.asp?prod=

It looks like the products were only available after May 1, 2007, but I thought it's something that everyone should know!

april

18 replies
GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 19

Thanks for the info!

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 19

Good to know. Thank you

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 19

We had a bunch of these toys, some of which were purchased TWO christmases ago.. don't assume that they are safe just because they were bought a while ago. It just baffles me why they would paint anything.. let alone kid's toys with lead based paints. Yet another reason we need to make sure we manufacture our products in the USA. (The tainted toys were made in a plant in China).

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks for posting... That is good info to know.

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks for sharing!!!!

stacy

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 19

MessiET, I love your snoopy!!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 19

i have the dora car, dora house, and dora figurines. i purchased them before may 2007, but now i'm a bit nervous!... i agree with you, jkalman. first it was the dog/cat food from china. now it's our children's toys. WTH?!!! icon_mad.gif

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 19

My family has always tried avoid anything from China esp. food and electronics... and now we have to avoid toys?!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 19

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I instantly spotted toys my 2 yo has! Time to go clean out the toy box. This truely is rediculous!

angelcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakesmom Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks for the info! I have a few of these toys. thumbsdown.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 19

i work in the import industry. you should always be wary of items coming from china. I even have asian friends who try to avoid items which are produced there - they tell to me avoid china items as much as possible!

FYI to ship to the major retailers (WMT/TGT/KMT/TRU etc) the factory has to have all the items ispected and tested before it is allowed to ship. The problem is the factory will inspect and test an "acceptable item" and then they will ship something else.

But the retailers are cracking down and pulling items off the shelves in the store and testing them themselves and thats when they realize that they have gotten a bad product. Hence the recalls.

I agree we should all start to try to buy goods made in the USA (even germany/europe as they have better protocols and quality control).

But the issue is 95+ % of goods. are made in China. Sometimes we dont have a choice.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 1:48pm
post #13 of 19

We have a few of those toys but they were purchased before May of 2007. The Mattel website says those are not of concern. If they were a problem they would be included in the recall. Jodie

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 19

THANKS FOR THE INFO!

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 4 Aug 2007 , 2:09pm
post #15 of 19

Just a little more info on the recalled products from Mattel, it is a little easier to check for recalled items on the Product Safety Commission Website, they list everything in alphabetical order....I had a really hard time the other night finding stuff on the Mattel site...(thankfully the figurines I had used on a cake in June were ok) But it is not just Dora there are many others too...

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:29am
post #16 of 19

I panicked also when I saw the recall. These figures were included
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=581263[/url]
This was my cake for my two year old. Thank God her birthday was in November!

lmevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmevans Posted 5 Aug 2007 , 4:34am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

We have a few of those toys but they were purchased before May of 2007. The Mattel website says those are not of concern. If they were a problem they would be included in the recall. Jodie

Ditto! Same here.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:12pm
post #18 of 19

4starcakes...those are the ones that I have to use on my daughter's cake too! Mine were purchased LONG ago (at least a year), but I may make a little board or fondant piece for them to sit on just in case.

SCARY stuff!!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 7 Aug 2007 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 19

Hah! Finding goods made in the USA usaribbon.gif .........now that's a chore in itself. It is so discouraging. I used to work in a shoe factory but imports put us out of a job. I tried buying only shoes made in the USA. icon_lol.gif Impossible to find.

Will advise my daughter to go through the toy boxes for these toys. The toys I have at my house are pretty old so doubt that anything is wrong with them.

Thanks for the heads' up on this. I had heard it on TV but never thought about things used on the cakes.

Diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%