Watch Out! Walmart Is Getty Fancy!

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 1 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm by mthiberge

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 22

I saw a cake last night at walmart with a gumpaste fairy...

I thought they were all borders and airbrush---

21 replies
whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 22

my friend who works at walmart, said they buy them from some place online (probably the same place they buy their buckets of frosting LOL). They don't make the fairys or flowers or any other gumpaste decoration there in the bakery.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 22

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif The horror!! I am shocked.... I figured Wal-mart would think a gumpaste anything would be made using Trident & Elmers! Does that mean they are going to charge $1.50 per serving instead of $1.25....... icon_lol.gif

LOL! Ok, that was really mean.... If you think about it, if you are working at a Wal-Mart bakery that is a great way to get practice and try new techniques on someone elses dime. icon_smile.gif

( *** searching for the classifieds... icon_confused.gif )

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 22

Was that one of the cakes in their cake ordering book or do you think somebody had a little time on their hands???

My Wal-Mart is still all borders, ugly roses, and cake kits!!!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 22

I haven't checked out the local Wal-Mart bakery lately, but at Sam's Club they've started putting gumpaste flower sprays on their cakes - so strange!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 22

Perhaps they have Sam's Club Spy who reads these boards and figures "I'll show them!". icon_smile.gif

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 22

I've noticed the "fancier" cakes at my super wal-mart too. They've got some new flavors and they've started doing the doll cakes and a Nascar dashboard. They're charging enough for them.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 22

I heard Walmart is trying to improve their image. Maybe this is part of their "upgrade".

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

I heard Walmart is trying to improve their image. Maybe this is part of their "upgrade".

At this point, the only thing they could do to "upgrade" their image, would be to return the company's policies and ethics to that of the one Sam Walton founded. thumbs_up.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 6:29pm
post #10 of 22

back at easter time the had some cool old fashioned figures , that looked like gumpaste on some cakes.

wal-mart is very good with keeping uo with "the jones" a it were.

and i s'pose for some folks that wil be enough of an upgrade ( not to many I hope )

but seriously i't wouldn't be cost effective for them to do some of the stuff we ( well not me yet !!) do!

heck a lot of times it is't really cost effective for us- which is the difference!!

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 22

I noticed my local H-E-B makes doll cakes, a pink castle cake, and some type of camo. fort for boys.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 22

Just to let you all know Sams and Wal-mart are owned by the same people, so they probly both will each have the same "cake advancements" happening at the same time.

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:03pm
post #13 of 22

Walmart is building a new location in Atlanta...This location is their first try at new higher in products. They are due to start building the beginning of next year. THe add stated that they want to offer new products/obviously priced higher to compete with higher in stores. I guess they are planningto chase away some other stores.

daydreamer7477 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daydreamer7477 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:37am
post #14 of 22

Totally off the cake subject but just came to mind when I read the Wal-Mart discussion.

But did you know that Wal-Mart is getting rid of thier layaway after the end of November.

My hubby has worked for the Wal-Mart Distribution Center for almost 12 years now and they told them it just isnt cost effective for them to have layaway and they are losing too much money allowing customers to put stuff on layaway so they are doing away with it.

I am in shock. I love layaway. Anyways just in FYI.

Nicole

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 2:48am
post #15 of 22

They are making a whole bunch of changes and I am tired of them already. Especially the new scheduling one where NO one will be guaranteed their 40hrs unless they have completely open availability and you still might not even get it then.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:36am
post #16 of 22

Harris Teeter is also starting to give us a run for our money!!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:50am
post #17 of 22

I am reading this thread and am firmly and I mean FIRMLY!!!!! clamping my hand over the ol' cake hole (as it were)
BTW, I am the dept manager at our Walmart bakery (dang, now ya done it ol gal, sheesh, can't keep yer trap shut fer two sec's) Du bist ouggen veh!!!! Oh, sorry talkin to myself again, heheh.

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 3:52am
post #18 of 22

I was at wal-mart tonight and noticed they are making little puppy dogs using two cupcakes.They are really cute but cost $2.50.My little girls wanted one so bad.I told them mommy will make you some at home. icon_lol.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:26pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrbbt420

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

At this point, the only thing they could do to "upgrade" their image, would be to return the company's policies and ethics to that of the one Sam Walton founded. thumbs_up.gif

Agreeing wholeheartedly. Sam would not be proud of his children right now.

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 22

I too am sad about the layaway. I always used it to hide Christmas presents from my kiddos!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 8:29pm
post #21 of 22

We don't have a walmart near us that has a bakery, but we have a bunch of super targets, and they are getting into the cupcake cakes and even are doing wedding cakes!

No offense to Target, but would *YOU* buy your wedding cake from Target??????

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 2:12pm
post #22 of 22

Wal-marts in the states have BAKERIES!!!???
The one where I live is FULL of screaming children, and little old ladies, but there is no bakery...why on earth would anyone want to buy a cake from walmart???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%