Sahm Decorators - How Do You Do It?

Decorating By megankennedy Updated 28 Sep 2006 , 2:55pm by mommabuda

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 4:52am
post #1 of 9

Hi guys, I'm fairly new to decorating and fairly new to this site as well. I'm trying to start an event planning business which the cakes are a part of. One of my issues is that I am a SAHM with a 3 month old daughter(who happens to be an extremely hungry breastfed baby). It is so hard getting things done!!! I have uniced cakes that have been sitting for almost a week now b/c I can't find the time...
Just wondering about tips for making it work. I don't want to be a complainer b/c I know there are alot of moms with more kids involved in alot more on here. Just wondering.......... icon_confused.gif

8 replies
megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 5:07am
post #2 of 9

BUUUUUUUUUUMP....I need help dudes

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 5:20am
post #3 of 9

you basically just have to work around their schedules.....nap times....quiet times.....and i stay up a whole lot of late nights!!!!!

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 5:23am
post #4 of 9

I know exactly what you are going through I am also a SAHM with 3 little girls ages 5,2 and 7 months old.It gets really hard when I am baking a cake.I usually try to do it during nap time or when my husband is not at work so he can help with the kids.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:25am
post #5 of 9

Don't worry! It will get easier!!! Once your little girl starts to eat solids you will find that you have a bit more time. I nursed all 3 of my kids and I know sometimes especially in the first few months it feels like all you ever do is nurse them. Do you have any mommy friends? If so you can see if they can come over to watch your baby while you decorate your cakes and you can return a similar favor for them. If you don't know anyone you should look into joing a SAHM support group/playgroup.

ninas09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninas09 Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:44am
post #6 of 9

I have 2 kids in school and a one year old at home. I also keep another one and a half year old full time. I LOVE to bake and decorate. I usually break things down in steps. I can usually mange to bake a cake and/or make icing while the children play. However, my daughter usually ends up standing on a chair next to me watching the mixer. Usually when I decorate, it's at night. Last night I had to decorate a cake so my husband bathed and put the kids to sleep. My kids lay down about 8:00 so that's great!! I stayed up until about 10:30 then slept until 1:30am and have been up ever since. I will probably take a nap when my kids lay down.

I would suggest getting your work done while the baby sleeps, then afterwards you can catch up on rest. Also, don't feel bad about having projects have done. I find that if I'm just playing around with cakes, I'm less likeley to finish. Whereas if I have a deadline, I get moving. I work much better under stress and I seem to require less sleep as well.

Just remember, have as much prep work done ahead of time as possible..cake boards wrapped, cake baked, icings made and colored, bags prepped. Oh yeah, coffee helps as well.

Good luck and don't give up!!!!!!!!

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 9

It does get easier. Right now your little one needs a lot of attention so the best thing to do is as suggested--work during naps or after she is put to bed a night. When she gets a little older you will be able to work when she is awake--work were she can see you. I don't suggest trying to do a whole cake at once, but some of it at a time during the day. My son learned early that mom loves him but does not have to sit and hold and entertain him all day--he plays very well on his own now.

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 9

Right now, there's not a lot to do except find someone who will hold the baby for a few minutes, or wait til she's sleeping. My youngest went to school this year, so now I have more time, but I still often work after they've gone to bed since they have all their after school activites and homework now.

When they get bigger, it helps to bake a little extra cake with leftover batter, and I let them sit and decorate while I am so they leave my stuff alone, and feel like they're included in what Mommy is doing. They love it, and I get to work without little fingers in my cake!

Good luck!

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 9

I'm in the SAME situation!!! I have a 2 1/2 month old boy and he seems to be ALWAYS hungry icon_smile.gif I just try to get as much done while he's sleeping. I moved his bouncy chair in the kitchen so he sits there and watches me work sometimes... he also will sit in his car seat in the kitchen. Any work that I don't get finished, I wait till daddy gets home then he can watch the baby for awhile while I finish the rest up... it's rough but I'm sure it'll all get easier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%