Hello Several Questions About Airbrushing A Bow

Decorating By NEWTODECORATING Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 3:14am by NEWTODECORATING

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 3

Hey guys and gals I know you are all thinking "Man not another airbrush question" I can only apologize and admit I have no clue what I am doing with this.

I need a RED bow for a cake and have borrowed a friends airbrush. I thought that would be my best and easiest answer.

Here come the questions...
Should I make the bow in pink gumpaste and then airbrush it red or does it matter?
Should I airbrush the pieces of the bow before or after assembly?
And if I need to do them before assembly, how long will it take for them to dry enough to handle for assembly?

Thanks everyone. By the way the friend I borrowed this from has never used it either.

2 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:52am
post #2 of 3

Don't bother tinting the fondant that is redundant and you might as well color it red by hand. I would spray it already assembled. It does take time to dry. Make sure you set-up a "Spray Booth" (I use plastic sheeting,) for over flow spray and get a face mask or you will be blowing red for a week. Long stokes back and forth and up and down. Think Karate Kid......It will take several coats for a true red. When you handle the bow after painting touch the edges only and touch up with a little of the airbrush paint and a paint brush. Good luck, post your pic. HTH. icon_wink.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 3:14am
post #3 of 3

Thank you Tiptop57! I was thinking that would be redundant, but like I said I have no experience with an airbrush. I am hoping to play around with this one and decide if I want to purchase one for myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%