What's The Best Compliment You Ever Received...

Decorating By loree001 Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 5:49pm by cake-angel

loree001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loree001 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 52

That keeps you going when you are down? Mine was from a friend of my daughter who got married last year...she described the cake she wanted for her wedding, and I made it for her just by her description. When she came into the reception hall after the ceremony, the first person she came to find was me, and she excitedly said, Thank you so much Miss Lori, that's EXACTLY what I wanted, it's beautiful, it's perfect, I LOVE it! She was so excited that I had made the exact cake she had in her mind...and it was a lovely compliment and warmed my heart...

What about yours? thumbs_up.gif

51 replies
MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 52

Recently I made a baby shower cake and the mom-to-be looked at it and said "Oh my god, it's gorgeous. I'm so not worthy of all the effort that went into that!"

My favorite compliment is always "You're not going to let someone cut that up, are you?!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 52

When I was starting to push this biz to a new level and had no money to get started. My son, who was still a Marine, called and when I told him my plans, he said he would loan me the $1500. After an argument on whether I could take money from him or not, he said to me:

"Mom, with you the brains behind this, it can't do anything but succeed!"

That's what keeps me going. It will be a success because my son believed in me. He earned that combat pay in the desert of Iraq. I can't let him down.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 52

I was a decorator working for a large in-store bakery for 20 years and was getting very burned out and totally disgusted with the job. When I had a conversation about my miserable frame of mind with a favorite supervisor, he looked at me and said, "But Ramona, you are the Queen!" It still gives me a tear or two thinking that he had such high regard for my work.
I quit a couple years later and have never been happier!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 52

The best compliment I have ever received and I think will be pretty hard to beat came from my Great Aunt (it is my dad's aunt and is only a few years older than him so she seems more like a aunt... anyways)

"Her cakes taste just as good as mom's did" My great grandma passed away before I was old enough to remember. so this was a great compliment. I have been told from the family that I got my decorating genes from her too! I even received the coveted wilton box with all of her decorating tools in it =)

Edited for some silly spelling mistakes! guess it is time for bed

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 1:50am
post #6 of 52

The best compliment I ever received was on my second wedding cake (served 220-4 tier and 2 satelites). I made roses for weeks and took 3 days off work to prepare it. The couple had told the caterer that a friend was doing their cake and tried repeatedly to talk them out of it. thumbsdown.gif

Until I delivered the cake. The caterer kept watching me icon_confused.gif when I assembled it and although I knew it was beautiful the way he was looking at it made me question my judgment. By the time the reception began I was finding it hard to hide that I was a basket case inside. tapedshut.gif

While helping in cleaning up afterward I found out the caterer was so impressed with my cake he wanted to find out if I was available to work for him. icon_smile.gif I will never forget that day. That was in 1994.

Sandy

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:31am
post #7 of 52

The very first cake I decorated I took my husband's grandfather's house for the Easter gathering. One of his aunt's walked into the kitchen, looked at it and asked if they had ordered from *insert family's favorite bakery here*. I was so ecstatic that she thought it was from a bakery I almost cried!

kota77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kota77 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 3:02am
post #8 of 52

I am very new to cake decorating and this site. I love seeing all of the wonderful talent which is inspiring!

This is a great post...I loved reading all of the different comments that people have recieved.

I am a teacher and recently had a co-worker who was getting married. Her cake decorator fell through and she asked me if I could make her wedding cake. icon_eek.gif I had never sold a cake before (let alone a wedding cake) and was very nervous!! When I took the cake to the site, the cater saw the finished product set up and commented how nice it looked. The compliment that stood out was "Your cake looks so much better than some of the established bakery cakes that I have see." I was absolutly thrilled but her kindness. I don't think it is something I will ever forget!!

kbochick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbochick Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:15am
post #9 of 52

Well, since I'm in MD, my favorite compliments would have to be comparisons to Duff. Now, I know I'm nowhere near the talent in the Charm City group, but I've actually had people that ordered from him order my cakes. Probably because mine are so much cheaper, but it still makes me feel good. icon_smile.gif

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:31am
post #10 of 52

May absolute favourite compliment was when a friend asked me to make a cake for her boss's 50th. HUGE party and the cake was an ice-bucket with a (gumpaste) champagne bottle in it and a horseshoe of gumpaste flowers propped against it (they wanted a horse-racing theme).
I got in early to set up and when friend arrived with DH of the birthday girl, they looked around for ten minutes, trying to find the cake! (She refused to cut it for about a week, and still has the champagne bottle and horseshoe 3 years later!

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:04am
post #11 of 52

I was doing a consult with a friend of mine. My 11 year old son told her, when she asked about taste of my BC: "Once you've tasted my moms BC you'll think anyone elses tastes like poo." I was shocked he said that, especially to a customer. But she called me after the party and said he was right.

The other best compliment is Word of Mouth. All my clients have passed my number on. And they say it's worth any cost.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:07am
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneysCustomCakes

I was doing a consult with a friend of mine. My 11 year old son told her, when she asked about taste of my BC: "Once you've tasted my moms BC you'll think anyone elses tastes like poo." I was shocked he said that, especially to a customer. But she called me after the party and said he was right.

The other best compliment is Word of Mouth. All my clients have passed my number on. And they say it's worth any cost.

What a great tagline! "It's better than poo!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:28am
post #13 of 52

I've had lots and since I don't really make any money making cakes - these comments are what keeps me going, like...

The bride who cried when she saw my cake, stating its better than she could ever of imagined and then gave me a $100 tip. icon_biggrin.gif

Got lots with people not wanting to cut the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Asking my MIL if she got the cake from a very upscale (and expensive) store where I live. thumbs_up.gif

Being approached at the same wedding twice, one with a job offer in a bakery and the other wanting to "lend" me money to start a business. Of course the second person might of had something to drink - LOL! icon_lol.gif

Those are the ones that makes me wonder what I'm doing in the job I have now! (nothing to do with cake decorating icon_sad.gif )

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:28am
post #14 of 52

Birthday cake (by which I mean yellow cake with chocolate frosting) is a big favorite in DH's family. It's served at nearly every birthday - except BIL who gets Boston Cream. Anyway, nephew tells me, at his 17th birthday, that it's the best cake he's ever eaten. What a proud moment. icon_cry.gif

I've also had more than one person tell me about my strawberry cake that they don't really like cake..."but can I have another piece? And your card?"
THAT always makes me feel good.

For compliments on deco, I still have people talking about the beer 6-pack I did 2 years ago! And I don't even consider it a very good looking cake! Oh well. I guess it's better than poo! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:32am
post #15 of 52

I hope so Alimonkey icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:35am
post #16 of 52

My mother has been gone for 33 years, I still miss her. Not long ago my older sister was talking about my cakes and she said "Our mother would be so proud of you and the beautiful cakes you create." It made me cry, my mother bought my first KitchenAid mixer for me in 1964, so I have to give her credit for how far I have come since then.

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:36am
post #17 of 52

The best compliment I ever received was from my DH. I made the Pooh cake in my photos for my DD's first birthday and he called in to the kitchen every single person that came to the party and said "Did you see what my wife did?! She did that! She is so talented!" He's my biggest fan. Ever since the Pooh cake any cake that I make (I only do them for my DD's birthdays) he has to bring it to everyone attention that I his talented wife made that. Makes me love him even more.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:43am
post #18 of 52

One of the best compliments I've ever received was here at CC. Someone commented on one of my wedding cakes and said if she had her wedding to do over again, she would choose that cake. I was so flattered!

Last Saturday, at my brother's wedding, a guest (who I didn't know) came up to me and said, "That is the BEST wedding cake I've ever tasted!"

It's nice to get compliments on the way a cake looks, but I think I like the flavor compliments even more.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:45am
post #19 of 52

When my Grand-Nephew wanted to play with his little blue car cake instead of eat it.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:55am
post #20 of 52

I just thought of another one that eclipses all the others, and it happened with a cake that I thought was a disaster.

Shortly after my mom married my stepfather a few years ago, I made a carrot cake for my stepsister's birthday. I started to late and like a dummy, decided to level and torte the layers while they were still slightly warm. Yep, it fell apart. I kind of patched the whole thing together with cream cheese icing, but the sides started collapsing and in the end, it just looked like a pile of carrot cake scraps smeared with icing and dotted with little yellow flowers.

I took the cake to the party, knowing it would taste good even if it looked terrible. I apologized to my stepsister, but her reaction was not what I expected. She got a little choked up and said it looked like a cake her mother would have made. (Her mother had died two years before from cancer). Apparently her mom's birthday cakes were notoriously messy!

I think that cake turned out exactly as it was supposed to.

dawndelicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawndelicious Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:03am
post #21 of 52

1. Getting a black and white picture off the back of some birthday invitations from my nephew of the cake he wanted. He told his mom he had to send it to me so I would know "how to make his cake"! He was 6 at the time, and I was so flattered that he thought I could make a cake just like the one in the picture!

2. Having a cousin of mine who is a self-proclaimed cake connoisseur tell me that my chocolate cake was "The best dam$ chocolate cake she had ever tasted" It made me laugh AND feel good. You can't beat a compliment like that!

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:31pm
post #22 of 52

Recently a teenage girl said to me, "Your cakes make me so happy!"

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 12:50pm
post #23 of 52

I made a cake for my niece's baptism and when my SIL saw it she said she wanted to cry because it was so beautiful... I think that was my best compliment.

The cake is on my pictures, the one that says angels watching over thee.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:14pm
post #24 of 52

The countless remarks I get on my cakes here at CC....my favorite recurring remark is
"when I grow up, I want to be you" icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you so much everyone!!!....it really paved the way for where I am now and where I see myself heading....

The greatest compliment, however, that I will treasure always, came from my mother when she told me that my hands were made of gold.
It was a few years ago and I had no idea she felt that way at the time....but it stills bring tears to my eyes. Love you mommy!!!

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:20pm
post #25 of 52

When someone asks..."who made the cake?" My daught ALWAYS pops up and says "My mom did." She says it so proud!!!

If I didn't make it, she makes sure to tell that too.

Patricia

Chauntelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chauntelle Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm
post #26 of 52

I had the best compliment ever just the other day. My older sister is the pickiest person you have ever met. I made her bday cake a month ago and she loves banana cake. Well i thought she might like Hummingbird cake as well. She has given me a hard time about it since then because it wasn't banana cake. I made a candy overload cake the other day(inspired by people here of course!!!!) and used left overs to make a small one for my family. Well she saw it and my mom had to keep her from digging into the cake box for my order. When she saw I made another one and was waiting for my sister to get home she told me to call her and she would be right down to try some. Sure enough she was and she told me it was the best cake I have ever made. She is not one to be free with compliments so I took that very much to heart. Oh and my mom, who doesn't eat sweets, ate all the scraps from that cake and went on and on about how good it was. I felt pretty good about myself that night!!!!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:31pm
post #27 of 52

Two things from my sons.

1. Whenever I get the mixer out, they ask me 'what is it going to be?'. I love the fact that get so excited to see my cake creations (which are nowhere near as good as sooooo many I've seen here. But I'm their mummy and they believe I can do anything).

2. My elder son (8 yrs old) said to me 'Mummy, you know why your cakes taste so special? Because you have a special ingredient... your cakes are made with love'.

Ooooh... I could cry!
[/i]

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #28 of 52

I just finished course 1, and made a german chocolate cake for a friend. Nothing special...just added some of my little touches, chocolate bc deco, but was told that was the best da*n cake he ever had...so close to his mother's!

My son is my biggest fan...he is all the time telling everyone...yes..everyone that I do cakes. He even carries little pictures of his favorites in his wallet to show people - and he just turned 18!

I also get the "we just can't cut that" and I reply...oh yes you can, gimme the knife...I'll show you how!!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:36pm
post #29 of 52

My kids, of course are my toughest customers. I just did a Transformers cake for my son who turned 7, who wanted a 3D semi-truck like Duff would do, not just drawn on a sheet cake. I told him Mommy wasn't as talented as Duff. icon_surprised.gif Now, I don't do much with fondant, so it's all bc. When he saw it finished, he yelled "That is sooooo cool!" followed by "Mom, I always knew you could do it" and a big hug.

For non-family customers, it would have to be a little girl who got a Barbie cake. I dropped it off at their house and I think she gave me a dozen hugs before I left.

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 2:40pm
post #30 of 52

I made a cake for my MIL for her b-day (3rd cake I decorated) and she wouldn't cut it, she kept it on her table the whole weekend as a centerpiece then still wouldn't cut it until she took it in to work to show everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%