What Is The Obsession

Decorating By twinsline7 Updated 1 Oct 2006 , 10:57pm by Julisa

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 28

WITH CAKE BALLS???? Am I the only one who thinks eewwww bacteria balls???!!!! Its stale cake..... icon_confused.gif

I made them once....I really tried, but couldnt brig myself to mix them and let them "dry" on the counter....so i baked them icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ....nnow dont get me wrong my kids and my brothers family ate them like there was no tomorrow....but I really have no doubt that there is not much they wont eat!!

And Im not looking for a fight...I just dont get all the hype about it!

27 replies
RitzyFritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RitzyFritz Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsline7

I made them once....I really tried, but couldnt brig myself to mix them and let them "dry" on the counter....so i baked them

Help me understand the above. What do you mean by "so I baked them"? The cake balls I make are made from crumbled already-baked-cake so I'm trying to figure out why they would need to be baked again?

They are good if you get the right flavor combination and don't make them too soggy with the "binding" ingredient. However, some folks truly don't like them...and that is okay. icon_wink.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 28

i dont make them with stale cake, i would make them only if a cake didnt come out the way i wanted like the other day i made angel food cake by accident (dont ask) and crumbled it as soon as it cooled and made cake balls. the only other time i made them it was with a cake that kinda fell while baking. its just something to do with scraps i think instead of tossing it.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 28

No one in my house will touch those little suckers! I've made them several different times/ways, and I just can't get past the testure of them! It just doesn't feel right in my mouth, and I can't even make myself swallow them! I would never offer them to customers. I'm afraid they would never order from me if I had them taste one! They tasted ok, but the texture was nasty! My boys and dh, neighbor kids...all looked at me like I was a nut, LOL.

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 28

I love them and so does everyone I've given them to. I've made chocolate ones, cherry chip ones and vanilla/caramel ones. Some "plain" and some dipped in chocolate or white chocolate. If I wasn't going to make them right away, I'd just save up the scraps in a ziploc and freeze them until I had enough scraps to make a bunch of them. Works great.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 28

I don't like them either....i followed the directions on how to make them and they came out like they were supposed to but they were NASTY!!!!!!! Nobody around here will touch them either & my dh will usually eat anything.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 28

I am confused too.... I haven't made them yet, but do we take leftover cake ( like the humps on the top, etc. ) and add liquid creamer and squeeze them together in a tight little ball and then dip those in chocolate?

Did you ever take all of the bread from your sandwich and leave the crust and then squeeze the Wonderbread into a tiny, tough little ball when you were a kid? Perhaps I am the only 'crazy' out there icon_redface.gif but is that like what we do? I have heard so many raving that I want to try it but I can't figure out if I squeeze them really tight or not.... icon_confused.gif

It takes very little to confuse me icon_lol.gif

twinsline7 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 28

by baking them I mean.....I couldnt get past the "wet" already baked cake bit...so I stuck them in the oven!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...but I tried them the "wet/dryout" way too....neither was my cup of tea!

I too just couldnt get past the texture of them...or even just the idea....i really really did try to eat one....but kept thinking "ewww balls"!!

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 28

I have not tried this yet...but can't imagine how they would be gross. It is cake that is mixed with yummy stuff and then dipped in chocolate. icon_eek.gif We'll ask.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I am confused too.... I haven't made them yet, but do we take leftover cake ( like the humps on the top, etc. ) and add liquid creamer and squeeze them together in a tight little ball and then dip those in chocolate?

Did you ever take all of the bread from your sandwich and leave the crust and then squeeze the Wonderbread into a tiny, tough little ball when you were a kid? Perhaps I am the only 'crazy' out there icon_redface.gif but is that like what we do? I have heard so many raving that I want to try it but I can't figure out if I squeeze them really tight or not.... icon_confused.gif

I used to do that with my bread ALL the time whenI was younger...lol! I had actually forgotten all about it. But now that you mention that, yea, that's about the texture I like my cake balls to be. I do not like them very moist. I follow the recipe here on CC as far as everything but the liquid, then I drizzle a tiny bit at a time into the cake mixture just until it will form a nice ball. Then I scoop them out with my little cookie scoop and roll them up. I only like these things if they are pretty stiff and not gooey.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 28

you want to squeeze them in a tight enough ball to hold together. I use my pampererd chef medium scoop to form my balls. I've only made these 1 time, but they only lasted like 10 minutes! Everybody LOVED them. I thought they were ok, but they were really rich. I could only eat 1 and I was done. In fact, I have tons of scraps in my freezer right now. I always take a sampling of candy and cookies to my neighbors at Christmastime, so this year, I'll include some cake balls too!

cakes4all Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4all Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 28

I tried making them too, and I tasted the parts that stuck to my fingers and it tasted wonderful, but I don't think I could just eat the stuff like that. Maybe I added too much liquid, but it seems like it would be like eating brownies that aren't baked long enough. Just really thick and sticky. I'm really finicky when it comes to textures.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcromwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I used to do that with my bread ALL the time whenI was younger...lol! I had actually forgotten all about it. But now that you mention that, yea, that's about the texture I like my cake balls to be. I do not like them very moist. I follow the recipe here on CC as far as everything but the liquid, then I drizzle a tiny bit at a time into the cake mixture just until it will form a nice ball. Then I scoop them out with my little cookie scoop and roll them up. I only like these things if they are pretty stiff and not gooey.

I did that too. I made some last night and the texture is almost like a really moist fudgy brownie. I froze them and when I took them out this morning they tasted better. I dipped them in chocolate and I think they were even better.

If you don't like them that's no big deal. Not everybody likes the same things. I don't like chocolate...so tasting my cake balls was not so fun. But, that's o.k.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 28

I have made them a couple of times. (and not with STALE cake!) The texture is the secret IMO. I call them cake truffles here, because that is what they remind folks of here. They are about the same texture as the oreo truffles (the oreo and cream cheese mixture) And they are a HUGE hit with those who have had them here. I can't make enough of them it seems. They will definately be on my Christmas candy making list for sure.

Maybe you need to adjust your ingredients so they aren't so "wet" - or maybe they are just not something you will like. For those of us who have good luck with them, they really are good!

bakerbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerbean Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:12pm
post #15 of 28

I haven't tried them either but by the descriptions they don't sound too appetizing to me. I'm not big on anything mushy in my mouth.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:13pm
post #16 of 28

What is your procedure? I agree...I would not use stale cake..or stale anything.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 28

If you already have a moist cake, it does not take much liquid at all!!!!!! I only use 1/2 a shot (made per recipe with 2 shots NASTYYYYYYYYYY) It all depends on the moistness of your cake! And I don't squeeze down when I'm rolling it into a ball in my hands! I like them light and just barely moist. By far, the best flavor I've tried so far is white cake (little more than 2 cups), 3 tbs powd. sugar-mix with a fork (I prefer the fork because i can get a better feel for the consistency) Then I put 1/2 shot of milk mixed with lemon extract (I just eyeball it, but not much-that stuff is potent!) then add slowly to cake mixture and toss. Then I get a heaping spoonful and roll lightly in between my hands until it forms a nice ball. Let them set for a while (I used my fridge, but make sure they come back to room temp before coating with choc.) I coated this flavor with white almond bark-didn't have white choc on hand, and they were so good, I won't change a thing!
The liquid changes things, too! The next time, I tried whipping cream instead of milk, and it was a little too dense for my taste!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:21pm
post #18 of 28

If they're mushy there's too much liquid - either your cake is too moist or you added too much liquid. I tried to do this w/ 7UP cake leftovers and the cake was just too moist - they turned into cake puddles.... blech!

I'm in on the bread thing too! I mushed my bread all the time!

Other than that - once I got a drier cake (not stale) - actually it was quite a few days old scraps but they still came out moist and great - I kept it in a plastic baggie. I dipped them in choc. ganache and took them to work - people went crazy over them. I put them in the fridge to harden the ganache a bit and that might have given them a little different texture. The ganache I think gave it a dif. texture too - people thought they were chocolates though - didn't even think they were cake! I'd call them cake truffles too - I think cake balls is a fun name, but cake truffles sounds more like something you'd want to put in your mouth icon_smile.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:29pm
post #19 of 28

I tried making them this past weekend with cake scraps I had left from the cakes I did Friday. I must have added too much liquid because the batter had the consistancy of wet cookie dough. I used the scoop, made a few balls, let the sit out but it didn't firm up enough for me to even put them into my mouth. I ended up trashing the whole batch.

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 28

I've never been a fan of soggy or "mushed" bread, but I love cake truffles. I don't add enough liquid to make them "mushy". I also learned in another thread that some people use bc icing as the binder instead of liquid. I'm looking forward to trying this!!!!! Try that and see if you like them!
For instance, I'm making german choc. cake today (or tomorrow if I can't get my butt away from the computer! lol) I'll take my scraps, add a few finely chopped pecans, and add enough of that coconut pecan frosting stuff to bind it, roll it up and roll those balls in coconut! Sounds good, we'll see how they turn out! My dh can't wait. He made me promise not to share with all the neighbors! (I've been doing that alot lately.) He wants those little babies all to himself! icon_biggrin.gif

BakeQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeQueen Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:34pm
post #21 of 28

Well, I have a cake to do this weekend. Maybe I will try the cake balls again this time using bc. icon_confused.gif

twinsline7 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:42pm
post #22 of 28

ok for the record...when I said "stale cake".... icon_lol.gif its because I think cake craps...stale cake...not because I used stale cake or thought anyone else did.....to me stale cake is cake the next day! thumbs_up.gif

I fed my brother ate a lot of gross things growing up just because he would eat it! but that stopped years ago icon_lol.gif

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:48pm
post #23 of 28

They are too much work for me! LOL I take my cake tops ...layer them with fillings...frost the whole ugly mess...and give it to my neighbor's 15 year old son across the street. HE LOVES ME. lol! Basically, nothing goes to waste,and he could care less what it looks like!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 4:54pm
post #24 of 28

I guess it's all about what you prefer. I love cake balls as does everyone I've ever made them for. I do not use any liquid at all. Just the cake scraps mixed with buttercream to form a ball. Lots of combo options too. Then dip it in choclate candy melts. That's it. They are very rich and very filling!

KimAZ

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:38pm
post #25 of 28

ok hold on what is 7up cake?

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 11:50pm
post #26 of 28

CAN ANYBODY POST A PICTURE OF THESE FAMOUS ''CAKE BALLS''? i WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT! thanks ~ RHONDIE

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 4:54am
post #27 of 28

I have never made these as they are described on here. Adding the icing to the cake crumbs just makes them sound super sweet to me.

I did have a recipe, but lost it, that used cake crumbs mixed with melted chocolate and a few other things. These had more of a truffle texture to me, and were pretty good. Hopefully one day I'll find it again. icon_smile.gif

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 10:57pm
post #28 of 28

Hi, I made these for the first time last night. Baked a whole cake just for them. icon_evil.gif
I tried white cake, powdered sugar, crunchy peanut butter (they are for perschoolers) and carmel ice cream topping. Those did come out too mushy and just tasted like peanut butter balls (you know the ones you make with powdered milk and honey?) My daughter still liked them so I am going to dip them in chocolate for her. thumbsdown.gif

THEN thumbs_up.gif I tried white cake, powdered sugar, very well drained crushed pineapple, coconut, Parot Bay Rum (Coconut extrac for the little ones), pineapple juice for any extra moisture needed. I shaped the non alcky ones into "ghosts" and dipped them in white chocolate after they froze. thumbs_up.gif
I pushed the others into cup cake pan then froze. Took one out, covered lightly with BC (only enough to get the MMF to stick) then covered with MMF. MY hubby loved it. It was more work , but it sure did look pretty. I would have decorated it elaboratly if it had not been 11:00 pm. So I will just dip the rest in white cocolate.

My texture was not mushy with the "pina colada" ones. Also the ones with the Parott Bay did not freeze hard. Just hard enough to dip in the cocolate/ cover with MMF.

I think the trick to theese is the flavor combo and what excatly you use as the binding ingredient. I wouldn't use milk or cream. Wouldn't those tend to spoil? If they are around that long that is. tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%