Very Important...powdered Sugar Info!

Decorating By Wandootie Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm by cmeridge

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 19

Hi, Guys!

I wanted to pass along this information to all of you and stress the importance of sifting all powdered sugar prior to using it.

I agree that sifting the sugar is a big pain in the butt sometimes, but last night when I was sifting a 2# bag for icing, I found a staple at the bottom of the sifter that was in the sugar. And I must stress that this was a brand name-more expensive sugar that is common to most all of us, I'm sure.

I have also found small black rocks from time to time, as well...with this same brand.

I am as guilty as everyone for not sifting all of the time...especially if it's just a cake for my family, but after finding this I know that I would rather be safe than sorry!

Take care!

Wanda

18 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 19

Wanda,
thank you ..........I never sifted before I had the big cake this past weekend, and 24 batches of BC and 3 of CC icing, I sifted every bag of ps...............glad I did, it really helps the texture of the icing.

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks for the info. I agree, better safe than sorry.

iramirez94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iramirez94 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 19

thanks for the info. It gives me a reason to spread PS all over my kitchen!! ha, ha

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 19

Wanda, I totallly agree with you and in addition to sifting powdered sugar, I recommend sifting cake mixes. You wouldn't believe the hard things (like rocks) in a cake mix,

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandootie

Hi, Guys!

I wanted to pass along this information to all of you and stress the importance of sifting all powdered sugar prior to using it.

I agree that sifting the sugar is a big pain in the butt sometimes, but last night when I was sifting a 2# bag for icing, I found a staple at the bottom of the sifter that was in the sugar. And I must stress that this was a brand name-more expensive sugar that is common to most all of us, I'm sure.

I have also found small black rocks from time to time, as well...with this same brand.

I am as guilty as everyone for not sifting all of the time...especially if it's just a cake for my family, but after finding this I know that I would rather be safe than sorry!

Take care!

Wanda

You should write or call the company. I know some companies are better at following up than others, but their quality control people might want to follow up at their processing/bagging plant. Also, they will probably send you coupons or free product. If it were me, though, I would switch brands.

Bec

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:09pm
post #7 of 19

I'm almost sorry I read this post. I never sift - but will do from now on. Would hate to harm anyone with some strange object. Thanks for the information.

Wandootie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wandootie Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 19

I did call the company this morning with the lot/batch numbers from the bag, but I went on to tell them that I had also found the rocks on a few occassions. What really bothers me is that it was one of those thicker-heavy duty staples (what one would use to staple several sheets of paper)...not a standard, thin staple. It could stick in someones throat and cause a serious problem.

They have my name, addy and phone number, but didn't mention any refund or freebies and that's fine with me...if it will keep someone from getting hurt, that's all that matters to me. They did seems really concerned, though, so maybe they'll check it out.

Wanda

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 19

Ick. I hope they do check it out. I can't imagine that there should be any type of stapler near their processing lines (or rocks for that matter). Makes you wonder what else could "turn up" in a bag of sugar.

You've converted me to a sifter!

Bec

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 5:41am
post #10 of 19

Thank You for posting. I sift but sometimes I get in a hurry and skip it. I won't any More.

C.C.C.

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 19

I know this is a stupid question, but do you measure first, then sift, or sift, then measure? Thanks to all.

CourtneysCustomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CourtneysCustomCakes Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 19

I don't measure because I make it in batches. 1lb is 4 cups. I normally make a double batch because I buy 2lb bags. I just poor the sugar into the sifter a little at a time it doesn't take too long. Now I just ordered my forst 50 lb bag of PS and I will have to measure, I think I will measure into a sifter.

C.C.C.

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 19

I also always sift. You should maybe call the company...maybe you will get some free sugar out of this...tell them to send the rocks and staples separately! icon_smile.gif

peeps311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peeps311 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks for the information....I will make sure to sift from now on. I would die if someone I made a cake for choked on something from my negligence.

maggie_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie_14 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for your post and for the follow up regarding your call to the company.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 19

Thanks for the info, I only sifted for certain recipe's. I will sift for all now.

sbarri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbarri Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 19

I always sift my sugar....but this is good info for those who dont...good job!!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:12pm
post #18 of 19

I always sift my PS...never have had any foreign objects in it though.

ChristineJ

Quote:
Quote:

I know this is a stupid question, but do you measure first, then sift, or sift, then measure? Thanks to all.

It is all dependent on how the recipe states the ingredients - for example:

If the recipe says 1 cup sifted powdered sugar - you would sift it into the measuring cup, and level it off.

If the recipe says 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted - then that means you measure the powdered sugar first -level it off- and then sift it.

Just make sure to use the stated quantity, like if the recipe says 1lb...measure out 1lb - b/c 4 cups doesn't equal 1lb.

cmeridge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmeridge Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 10:44pm
post #19 of 19

Thanks, I will make sure to sift from now on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%