To My Bargain Shoppers

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 29 Sep 2006 , 8:24pm by cakesbyamym

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 12:16am
post #1 of 25

Kroger has their butter on sale for $1.77 each. If you are preparing for the holiday season I suggest you rack up now if you don't mind using Kroger brand butter.

I say butter is butter no matter what brand it is. Also, tomorrow Publix will have their Pillsbury cake mix on sale buy one get one free. The regular price at my store is $1.49 so the mix will be about $.745 each. The Publix sell will last thru Oct. 3rd. Happy Shopping!

I'm racking up big time this weekend.

24 replies
rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 12:39am
post #2 of 25

Sounds like Stone mountain, GA Needs a Winco!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 12:44am
post #3 of 25

What's a Winco?

rhondie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 12:52am
post #4 of 25

Maybe it is exclusive to the Pacific Northwest. It THE CHEAPEST grocery store chain EVER!!! Butter NOT ON SALE is 1.78 , Cake mixes brand name are .88 and powdered sugar C and H usually .99 . Neato huh? Cheaper than WalMart! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:04am
post #5 of 25

Wow...must be nice to get those prices all the time. Regular price of butter in metro Atlanta is around $3.50-$3.65 each. Sucks doesn't it.

rhondie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:27am
post #6 of 25

Whoa...Yep!

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:40am
post #7 of 25

Though at Winco you can't always get exactly the brand you are looking for, we have name brand cake mixes for .79 each regularly.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:45am
post #8 of 25

While we are talking bargains. Tom Thumb has there powdered sugar for 4 for $5. I have used it several tims and it come out fine in buttercream and royal. It is pure cane.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:47am
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentCakeBaker

Kroger has their butter on sale for $1.77 each. If you are preparing for the holiday season I suggest you rack up now if you don't mind using Kroger brand butter.

I'm racking up big time this weekend.

I'll be shopping for butter there tomorrow ... unfortunately, I think my local Kroger store doesn't plan too well ... I doubt they'll have enough stock to get my holiday baking even going! But I'll give it a shot.

Thanks fo rthe heads up!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:19pm
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

While we are talking bargains. Tom Thumb has there powdered sugar for 4 for $5. I have used it several tims and it come out fine in buttercream and royal. It is pure cane.

Super Target in my area always has their 2lb bag of powdered sugar priced at $1.05. I always stop here no matter what b/c other stores charge up to $1.39 per 2lb bag.

Vanaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanaya Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 25

Wow.... I pay 5.19$ for butter icon_eek.gif

hockeygirl658 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hockeygirl658 Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 1:58pm
post #12 of 25

icon_eek.gif That is a lot of money for butter.

We just had a Save-a-Lot Foods open up here in our area. I guess they are a nationwide chain (at least their map in the store says so) that sells some well known brands, but mostly their own house brand.

I took a chance and used their house brand Powdered Sugar (.99 for 2 lbs) Butter ($1.49 a box) and Shortning ($1.99 for a large container!!!) and everything came out as it normally does.

In fact, I really liked their powdered sugar better than the C&H I normally buy. No lumps!

Marksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marksgirl Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:01pm
post #13 of 25

Hello everyone icon_biggrin.gif

Costco 4lbs powered sugar 2.19 thumbs_up.gif
Butter 1.62 a pound icon_cool.gif

Just thought I would pass that info

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 25

At the Kroger in my area (Nashville), the butter is 1.69!!! icon_eek.gif Guess where I will be on MY lunch break!!!!

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 6:27pm
post #15 of 25

Thank you AgentCakebaker! Costco is another great place...it's usally that cheap.

I'm not baking anything until after I move this weekend but that doesn't mean I can't stock up. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:15pm
post #16 of 25

You guys are great!!!

I needed hi-ratio shortening and you found it for me at Costco.

While I was there I also found 6x powdered sugar and was able to order 50# of cake flour.

But I never even looked at their butter. You can bet I'll be going back for butter at those prices!

My one big find: institutional sized bags of powdered whipped topping - to use in place of those expensive little packets of Dream Whip for my regular b/c frosting.

SO THANKS FOR SHARING icon_biggrin.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 7:24pm
post #17 of 25

There's hi-ratio shortening at Costco??! I've been wanting to try this for the longest....what brand is it?

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 8:48pm
post #18 of 25

the wal-mart near me has DH cake mixes $.0.78 it was .88 but the lowered it about a month ago.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Sep 2006 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl658

We just had a Save-a-Lot Foods open up here in our area. I guess they are a nationwide chain (at least their map in the store says so) that sells some well known brands, but mostly their own house brand.

I took a chance and used their house brand Powdered Sugar (.99 for 2 lbs) Butter ($1.49 a box) and Shortning ($1.99 for a large container!!!) and everything came out as it normally does.

In fact, I really liked their powdered sugar better than the C&H I normally buy. No lumps!

I always use their powdered sugar, butter and veg. shortening.......but I just found a new store here in South Jersey called food basics and they have butter on sale this week "America's Choice" brand for .99 a pound!!!! I bought ten things of it......I'll probably go back and get more!!!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 11:43pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl658

Oohhh, there is a Save-a-Lot near me too. I will try this store as well. You can't beat those prices. .99 for 2lbs of powdered sugar...wow. I have a lot of shopping to do this weekend.

Does anyone know if Sam's sells high ratio shortening since I don't have a Costco membership?

AgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 7:44pm
post #21 of 25

hockeygirl

Thanks for the tip on the powdered sugar at Save A Lot. I got 5 bags of the 2lb powdered sugar for .99 each. I will be visiting this store more often since it is right across the hwy from my local cake supply store.

I didn't see any shortening though but I'll check again this afternoon.

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 25

great info

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm
post #23 of 25

If your Kroger is sold out of the butter make sure you get a rain check. They are good for up to 30 or 60 days(not sure which) after the date they are issued and since most of their sales items have no limit you can tell them how many you want the rain check for.

annamata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annamata Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 7:59pm
post #24 of 25

THANK FOT THE HEADS UP. I WILL BE GOING THERE RIGHT AFTER WORK. HAPPY BAKING TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 8:24pm
post #25 of 25

My Sam's doesn't carry cake flour icon_sad.gif, but they do have the following that I buy CONSTANTLY...

AA grade unsalted butter (4 pks. =16 sticks of butter) for $6.88
Powdered Sugar (7# bags) for $3.6icon_cool.gif
Crisco Shortening (6# can) for $5.27

If they just had my cake flour...I'd be a happy camper! icon_biggrin.gif

Off to buy more supplies for next week's wedding order...

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%