Pettinice

Decorating By Raisen Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 2:01am by alanahodgson

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:03am
post #1 of 4

I want to try fondant again...have read alot on CC and it seems many people love Satin Ice. Our local cake supply store told me they dont sell it anymore because of issues with it going "bad". Anyway, he only sells white Pettinice. My question is this...is Pettinice easy to add flavor to and color? I need chocolate...plus pink and flesh color...all he has is the white. Or should I just order ready made chocolate/colors online....is it as prone to going bad, from heat, as it seems Satin Ice is? Now I'm totally confused.

3 replies
Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:46am
post #2 of 4

I like the Pettinice, although I have never used Satin Ice. I find it easy to add color to, but again, i have used the chocolate, only the white. it has a flavor a little bit like taffy, and I prefer it over MMF, and DEFINITELY better than wilton.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:48am
post #3 of 4

Pettinice is easy to work with, just a little stiffer than Satin Ice. If you can get chocolate Pettinice, it tastes like Tootsie Rolls.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:01am
post #4 of 4

I just worked with it for the first time this weekend and although it was easy to work with and color, I found the taste rather chemicalish (see how I made that word up). I tried flavoring it with some raspberry extract and raspberry lorann flavoring but nothing would cover that chemical taste. I've never tried satin ice. My local place only carries the colored. thumbsdown.gif I learned after this weekend that the recipe I use, Michele Fosters Fondant, is miles further in flavor and is just as easy to work with as the pettinice was.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%