What Candy Thermometer Do You Use?

Sugar Work By imartsy Updated 16 Nov 2006 , 3:11pm by Kayakado

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 17

I've been wanting to get a candy thermometer so I can make swiss buttercream - I've seen the Wilton one, but I want a good one - is the Wilton one good or do you have other recommendations?

16 replies
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 17

I bought one from Albert Uster when I took a sugar class. I have had it for 5 years and love it, it is so accurate. Pretty expensive but worth it to me. Thomas Scientific is the brand name.

imartsy Posted 28 Sep 2006 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 17

Does anyone else have a recommendation? Maybe a moderately priced option??

imartsy Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 17

so does no one make swiss buttercream or candy or anything else that would require a thermometer? I searched the forums but didn't really find anything on this - I'd like to get one, but if the Wilton one is a big waste of money, I'd rather save my money up for something else...... I just need to know!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 17

I bought a candy thermometer at Wal-Mart...I think I paid like 3 dollars for it....it looks like a really big mercury thermometer and keeps very accurate as far as I can tell.....it works perfectlly....even has all the temp. for frying, candy making, and different things on the side of it and came with a clip so it can hook to the pan......works perfectlly. I think it's Good Cooks brand or something.

LorraineF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorraineF Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 17

I've used the Taylor ones--I've had good luck with them (except when I dropped it!) I like the one that holds the bulb up off the bottom of the pan.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 17

I use whatever I buy in the supermarket. They work.

I wouldn't buy Wilton and really I'm not understanding why one might think they need to.

pbeckwith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeckwith Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 17

Martha Stewart's - on the clearance rack at K-Mart! I like it alot better than the supermarket one I had.

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 30 Sep 2006 , 8:21pm
post #9 of 17

I own this one: http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtml?id=13&pid=7804&step=4

After failing over and over at the swiss buttercream, I gave up. Then I went to make the MS italian buttercream, and the sugar actually clumped up and burnt. My thermometer was showing it was still 20 degrees off from the mark. This is when the lightbulb went off...it wasnt me screwing up, stupid thermometer! It was bought at a grocery store, never again!
I got the above thermometer and I haven't had problems making the buttercream since, its been wonderful.
You can get them cheap, but this is something where quality really really does matter, because even being 10 degrees off can ruin your buttercream or candy. That cheap thermometer cost me more in wasted ingredients and time (not to mention stress!).

And about the wilton one, I know someone on the canadian board makes IMBC allll the time, and this is the one she uses. The only downside I could see with it is because it is rather large, but from everything I've heard it is accurate.

tweety69bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweety69bird Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 17

Hi Everyone!
The best way to know if your thermometer is accurate, is to check it in boiling water. It should read exactly 100ºC and if not, then you know you have a bad one. I wouldn't recommend spending a lot of money on a thermometer. Here in Canada, I buy mine at Canadian Tire, and they're about 3$. I buy them 2 at a time because if one breaks, I always have an extra one handy. They do break easily since they're glass, but if you're not a clutz like me, then they'll probably last you longer.

kristiezen920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiezen920 Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:38pm
post #11 of 17

I make IMBC all the time and for years I have been using glass candy thermometers from the grocery store. You have to calibrate these thermometers in the boiling water like tweety69bird said atleast every 2-3 uses. Sugar temp is absolutely crucial with IMBC. I read in Cooks Illustrated that they rated the Maverick brand CTO3 digital oil and candy thermometer THE BEST to buy. I just ordered one from Amazon.com for about $35. I will let you all know how it workss.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 2:45pm
post #12 of 17

so what do you do if you realize it's off??? Do you just remember that 210 is really 225?? I mean you wouldn't go out and buy a new one every 2 to 3 uses right?? I'm sooooooo cheap!!!! LOL

tweety69bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweety69bird Posted 4 Oct 2006 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 17

You can remember the difference of temp and calculate it that way, or you can just buy a new one... honestly, I have only had one thermometer where it was off temp readings.

kristiezen920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiezen920 Posted 5 Oct 2006 , 3:14pm
post #14 of 17

I found this wonderful site http://www.baking911.com/candy/101_intro.htm

all kinds of answers for candymaking!!!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 31 Oct 2006 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 17

My mother bought me a digital thermometer with the long cord and sensor on the end. Cordless would have been nice, but hey - it was a gift. I attach it to the stove hood by its magnetic bottom and drape the cord down into the pot and set the alarm for a couple of degrees hotter than the target stage. I'd never go back to an analog thermometer now I've gone digital. It is a heck of lot more accurate and I don't have to hover waiting for it to reach temp.

[/img]
LL

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:44pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakado

My mother bought me a digital thermometer with the long cord and sensor on the end. Cordless would have been nice, but hey - it was a gift. I attach it to the stove hood by its magnetic bottom and drape the cord down into the pot and set the alarm for a couple of degrees hotter than the target stage. I'd never go back to an analog thermometer now I've gone digital. It is a heck of lot more accurate and I don't have to hover waiting for it to reach temp.

[/img]

I use the same thing, an instant read themometer. I set the timer for the temp i want and go back and watch tv or do something else. The only thing is the probe should not touch the bottom of the pot or else it will give you the temp of the pot and not the sugar.
I actually prefer my instant read because i can also use it for meats which is what it was designed for.
The main thing in a candy themometer is that the temp goes up to around 400 or so. So long as it does that, it doesn't matter which type of themometer you use.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 3:11pm
post #17 of 17

Praetorian, I have the Taylor Classic Digital 1470 and just let the probe sit on the bottom of the pan. If I set the temp for 238 or 239 and leave the probe touching the bottom, I get perfect soft ball stage every time. It doesn't seem to make a difference, even when I have only about an inch of liquid on the bottom. I have old and very thick commercial calphalon pots and these pots heat evenly and don't seem to have any hot spots. Early on I used to worry about suspending the probe above the bottom and used a wooden spring clothes pin but as I said leaving it touching the bottom seems to work just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%