How Many Stripes Does It Take??

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 2 Aug 2007 , 11:47am by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 11

Hello every one, a new questions im making a 10in birthday cake and a 8 in cake these are stacked, Now my ? how do i determine how far apart the stripes on the 10in need to be to come out even i have to alternate pink and black any info will be soooo great, and do you think a pound of icing would do the stripes and dots on the 8in cake and balls around the bottoms of each.
Thanks gang

10 replies
teasom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teasom Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 11

Wilton makes a cake dividing wheel that makes stuff like this easy. You may be able to find a template somewhere online.

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 11

ok I have one of these and I am embarrassed to admit that I have no idea how to use it icon_redface.gif Maybe someone will tell me then I could answer your question. At any rate here is the link to purchase it. http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30D66E-475A-BAC0-57C5D7D262D8EE2D
I am guessing that it would depend on how far apart you wanted them to be, for example if you wanted them an inch apart and the stirpes them sleves are an inch wide then on a 10 inch cake you'd only be able to fit five stripes and on an 8 inch cake you would only be able to fit 4...I could be waaaayyy off on this. I am sorry I coudln't be of more help.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 11

well this is where I start to use math.
First thing we need to figure out is how wide are your strips going to be?
Second - what is the circumference of the cake.... Ok I won't make you figure it out =) I usually figure about 3/16" icing around the entire cake so I take that into consideration here so....
10" = 32 5/8"
8" = 26 5/16"

So once you determine how wide your stripes are going to be.... I will use 1/2" for this example.

10" cake : 32 5/8" around cake divided by 1/2" strips = 65.25 stripes, so approximately 65 strips a hairline over the 1/2" apart
8" cake : 26 5/16" around cake divided by 1/2" strips = 52.625 stripes, so approximately 52 stripes a tad more than 1/2" apart

Hope I didn't loose you, if you need more explination let me know.

infields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infields Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 11

In case anyone is interested in the Wilton dividing wheel, here's how it works. You put your cake in the center. Then you need to determine how many divisions you want on your cake. For example, if you want to divide you cake into four sections, then mark your cake at every line that has a number 4 on it (the numbers are around the outside of the wheel). If you want 16ths, then mark at every line that has a 16 by it. Hope that makes sense. You just follow the line up to the cake, then make a little pin prick or toothpick hole to mark it.

Renae

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 11

Or you can cut a parchment circle using the cake pan as a template. Then fold the circle in half, and in half again, and again to divide into 8ths. Keep folding to get the amount of divisions you need. Very easy and quick. I lay the parchment on top of the cake and mark up with a toothpick. When I have more than one tier I first do the biggest, mark up and then cut down the same parchment using the next size pan you are using as a guide.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:43am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Second - what is the circumference of the cake.... Ok I won't make you figure it out =) I usually figure about 3/16" icing around the entire cake so I take that into consideration here so....
10" = 32 5/8"
8" = 26 5/16"

So once you determine how wide your stripes are going to be.... I will use 1/2" for this example.

10" cake : 32 5/8" around cake divided by 1/2" strips = 65.25 stripes, so approximately 65 strips a hairline over the 1/2" apart
8" cake : 26 5/16" around cake divided by 1/2" strips = 52.625 stripes, so approximately 52 stripes a tad more than 1/2" apart

Oh, I totally agree.............if you say so! icon_confused.gif

leily, you sound super smart!

I absolutley hate math! icon_mad.gif I'm gonna call you if I have any math questions!

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:03am
post #8 of 11

This is a link to Earlene's serving chart. She lists the circumference for each size of cake, so it makes it easy to do your stripes. If the circumference is like 15", then for 15 stripes, place each one an inch apart. Just another way of doing it!

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

cakebaker1957 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:

10" = 32 5/8"
8" = 26 5/16"

Oh boy did you ever loose me, i would like them about 1 -2 in apart and about 1/2in wide, Alternating them, pink then black i want to end right not with 2 pinks and 2 blacks when i get aroung the cake im not doing the 8in one just Dots on it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 11

[quote="cakebaker1957"Oh boy did you ever loose me, i would like them about 1 -2 in apart and about 1/2in wide, Alternating them, pink then black i want to end right not with 2 pinks and 2 blacks when i get aroung the cake im not doing the 8in one just Dots on it.[/quote]

Sorry!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Well with your information of what you want to do I figured it out... So hopefully this will be a little easier for you icon_smile.gif

10" round cake = Total of 16 strips at 1/2" wide. so 8 pink and 8 black.

There will be a 1 13/16" gap between each strip. So you could measure 2" and go just a tad bit under the 2".

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't confuse you more! Let me know if I need to explain it better.

cakebaker1957 Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 11:47am
post #11 of 11
Quote:

[quote="cakebaker1957"Oh boy did you ever loose me, i would like them about 1 -2 in apart and about 1/2in wide, Alternating them, pink then black i want to end right not with 2 pinks and 2 blacks when i get aroung the cake im not doing the 8in one just Dots on it.

Sorry!! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Well with your information of what you want to do I figured it out... So hopefully this will be a little easier for you icon_smile.gif

10" round cake = Total of 16 strips at 1/2" wide. so 8 pink and 8 black.

There will be a 1 13/16" gap between each strip. So you could measure 2" and go just a tad bit under the 2".

Hope this helps and I hope I didn't confuse you more! Let me know if I need to explain it better.[/quote]

NO this is good , i can do it now thanks so much for help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%