Do You Use Sam's Club Buttercreme?

Decorating By mareg Updated 6 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm by whitet4

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 26

How do you like it? Can you flavor it? If so what flavor combo's do you like? I was thinking of buying one to practice with. THANKS!!

25 replies
Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 26

I use it and It's very convenient, I only flavored it with cocoa to make it chocolate flavor. The cocoa mixed with a little water and the mixed with the buttercreme. It crusts very good and it's great because I can take up late orders because I always have the icing on hand. No need to mix. A great time saver.

Marzbar71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marzbar71 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 26

Do you find this in the regular baking aisle or do you have to get it from the bakery?

mareg Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 26

you have to ask for it in the bakery.

Solecito Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 26

Sometimes you can find it beneath the packaged cookies and danish in front (or around) of the bakery, if not, ask for it.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 26

At our sam's they usually have buckets of lots of different frostings sitting out by the bakery.

I bought my first bucket of their buttercreme and it's ok, but I'm not all that thrilled with it. I prefer a stiffer icing, but it is great when you're in a hurry or just don't feel like making your own. I also find it a little more difficult to deal with as far as getting a smooth finish and it seems to sweat a lot more after chilling a frosted cake than my homemade recipe does.

Their bettercreme I absolutely love! Both the chocolate and vanilla have a really nice texture and taste.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 26

Do those of you who use the butter/bettercreams sell your cakes?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 26

I use the bettercreme on cakes I sell. Some of my customers specifically ask for the "whipped icing!" I picked up some of the buttercream for the first time this week to practice with (using cake dummies) and it's very workable and crusts very nicely. I don't really like the taste of it though so I think I'll stick to home made for my cakes.

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 26

I like the Sam's club icing. It crusts very nice and is already made. I use it for practice. I also put it on my cakes people are going to eat. For them I do add flavor and more PS to my taste. I love it.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:35am
post #10 of 26

I bought a bucket of it last week and have been pleased. I asked for it at the bakery and she pulled one right out for me!
It doesn't taste as great as homemade, but adding a little flavoring helps and for stiffer icing (for roses, etc) I just add a little powdered sugar.
I have given away some of the cakes iced with it this week and they were well received.

It is sooooo easy to grab and practice with and that is what I need! thumbs_up.gif

mareg Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:08am
post #11 of 26

When you add the ps do you use the kitchen aid to mix it?

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:19am
post #12 of 26

how much is it, and can you use the viva method with it?

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:37am
post #13 of 26

Maybe a stupid question, but what is PS?
icon_smile.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:20am
post #14 of 26

I'm in NY Hudson Valley and I paid $27.00. I've used viva and melvira method no problem at all!

PS= powdered sugar thumbs_up.gif

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzycakes

I use the bettercreme on cakes I sell. Some of my customers specifically ask for the "whipped icing!"

So is the Sam's Club bettercreme more of a whipped icing?? I am making a baby shower cake for a good friend this weekend and she likes whipped icing but I usually just make bc so didn't know if maybe I should give this a try instead. Expert opinion should I stick with what I know or try out some of this??

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 26
Quote:

I'm in NY Hudson Valley and I paid $27.00. I've used viva and melvira method no problem at all!

PS= powdered sugar thumbs_up.gif

OK. Now I feel like a numbskull. icon_redface.gif

satgirlga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satgirlga Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:51pm
post #17 of 26

I am now on my 3rd bucket of the Sam's Bettercream icing. I absolutely love it!! I use it on cakes I sell, but sometimes for family I will do my original wilton icing recipe. Everyone who has had a cake with it on it, has really loved it also. I find it easier to smooth and decorate with than my original icing. At my sam's Club it's about $27- $28, and I just ask for it at the bakery. I'm getting ready to flavor mine chocolate this weekend for the first time. Any tips on flavoring?

Shaela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaela Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:55pm
post #18 of 26

Ok... so Sam's sounds like it's a good thing... what about Costco??? I have seen the buckets of the icing (various colors/flavors) under the cookies and what not near the bakery. Does anyone know how it is and what it costs???

Solecito Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:30pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningCurve

Quote:

I use the bettercreme on cakes I sell. Some of my customers specifically ask for the "whipped icing!"

So is the Sam's Club bettercreme more of a whipped icing?? I am making a baby shower cake for a good friend this weekend and she likes whipped icing but I usually just make bc so didn't know if maybe I should give this a try instead. Expert opinion should I stick with what I know or try out some of this??

There are two kinds: the bettercreme is made by Rich's and it has hot pink letters on it, this is the whipped cream icing, the other one is plain with icing, it comes with black letter on the label. Both come in 20 something pound tubs. Both are sold by Sam's.

Chicklets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chicklets Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:33pm
post #20 of 26

How long is the expiration? I would like to try the Rich's whipped icing but don't know how fast I could use up 20lb!

mareg Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:33pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcopeland

Maybe a stupid question, but what is PS?
icon_smile.gif

powder sugar icon_biggrin.gif

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 4:12pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaela

Ok... so Sam's sounds like it's a good thing... what about Costco??? I have seen the buckets of the icing (various colors/flavors) under the cookies and what not near the bakery. Does anyone know how it is and what it costs???

All I've seen at Costco is the fillings, never the icing. Hummmm

CakeEscape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEscape Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 6:16pm
post #23 of 26

what is the difference in buttercreme and bettercreme? Ingredients wise? Or is it prepared differently??

Solecito Posted 2 Aug 2007 , 6:31pm
post #24 of 26

Buttercreme is icing, bettercreme is a kind of whipped topping made by Rich's, actually beettercreme is their brand.

abi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abi Posted 3 Aug 2007 , 6:01am
post #25 of 26

Is this the same that Sam's uses for their cakes?

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 6 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm
post #26 of 26

How long does it last?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%