Wedding Help

Decorating By alabamadecorator Updated 31 Jul 2007 , 3:09pm by PaulaT

alabamadecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alabamadecorator Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:12am
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a wedding cake, and I have never done one before. The bride is getting married this weekend and she wants 3 tiers and it needs to feed approx 150 people. She doesnt care what it looks like, she told me to do what i wanted. She said she wanted them round. I want something that is sort of easy since it is my first and if u have any tips or suggestions as far as what is easier for assembly a stacked cake or a cake with columns and any other tips, I realllllly appreciate it, because i am getting really nervous about it. Why she waited till this past week to worry about it is crazzzzzy. But i just met the lady at a shower and she seen the cake i made for it and asked if i would make her wedding cake. Thanks for all your help

7 replies
Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:28am
post #2 of 8

I would suggest that you make a pillared cake rather than a stacked cake; it is a lot less stressful if you have never done a wedding cake before. Also if you look at my pictures, I have some very simple yet elegant designs that you are welcome to get ideas from. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif If you have any other questions you can PM if you would like!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 4:54am
post #3 of 8

Just remember that a wedding cake is just 3 cakes that happen to sit on top of each other. One cake at a time.... thumbs_up.gif

singsing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singsing Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 8

take a look at the galleries for inspiration. Do something simple, since you don't have a lot of time and simple often looks the best. i just did a nice BC simple one, but forgot my camera. so I can't help you but there are so many nice ones here. Make each layer all white and just alter the design on each layer, one dots, one spirals, one plain etc. Just some ideas.

Start early, I would say thursday if the wedding is saturday to bake the cakes and give them time to cool and settle. and to take a breath in between. I like stacked better than pillared because the pillars sometimes don't fit good and it gets wobbly. but a good stand that is seperated is nice (but expensive, although a good excuse to expand your tools) some pretty cakes are all the same and put on different height stands, saves stacking/pillar stress.

Good luck and post the results!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 8

The push in pillars are easy to use. Very stable.

statecollegecakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
statecollegecakemom Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 8

What about a three-tiered stand?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8

I just took course 3 and we used the push in pillars and I LOVED THEM! It is so nice to use those cause I have done stacked and that made me a little nervous. But, it was easy.
With the push in pillars you don't have to cut any dowels and you can put flowers in between the cakes! You could use silk or fresh! Or you could even do a fountain. Another excuse to expands supplies! LOL

I would do a very plain white cake with some ribbon around the bottom and then add those flowers in between to add some interest. Ask what the flowers are and don't forget to charge for whichever flowers you buy if you do! If you do a stacked cake it could be just as simple as the white cakes with some flowers on top and a couple added for interest on the sides! Check the gallery for examples and you'll be fine!
Good luck! Can't wait to see a pic of what you do!

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 8

Well, good for you for taking on an order at the last minute. A stacked cake isn't that difficult as long as you use enough dowels. For a simple pattern you could use dots and satin ribbon with fresh or silk flowers to match the wedding colors. Make your cakes now and wrap and freeze them. Go ahead and make up all your icing and then purchase or order the flowers. It will go very well as long as you have everything ready, purchased and made up ahead of time. The day/night before you just construct and the day of the wedding have it ready to go out the door! Much good luck to you and please post a pic. You'll do just fine!!! BTW I checked out your pics and you do great work!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%