Has Anyone Used Dacquoise Filling? And How Do You Say It?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 7:28pm by Chef_Stef

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 6

I was reading in my new Baking with Julia book, and there's this wonderful wedding cake in there that has an almond cake filled with a layer of apricot preserve, dacquoise, then preserve again, and it looks wonderful!

Has anyone used dacquoise (it's a meringue disk baked and used between layers)? I may have to try this! yum!

And of course, not being French, I have no idea how to pronounce it... icon_redface.gif

5 replies
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't made a dacquoise in years. I used to make a walnut dacquoise torte with coffee buttercream and whipped cream-cream cheese filling. I don't quite understand putting a dacquoise layer in a cake. Oh, well! I am not sure but I believe it is pronounced Da (like da -da) qwe (a bit like queen without the n).

Actually a dacquoise is a cake made with layers of nut meringue and whipped cream or buttercream, or one of the layers of meringue used in this cake.

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 6

DAH-KWAH

RuthWells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RuthWells Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I was reading in my new Baking with Julia book, and there's this wonderful wedding cake in there that has an almond cake filled with a layer of apricot preserve, dacquoise, then preserve again, and it looks wonderful!

Has anyone used dacquoise (it's a meringue disk baked and used between layers)? I may have to try this! yum!

And of course, not being French, I have no idea how to pronounce it... icon_redface.gif

Actually, the s on the end is pronounce -- "dah-qwaz".

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook

I have made this recipe, it was on a Julia show with Martha Stewart doing the cake. Dacquoise is different, especially in a layer cake. It has a crunch to it but doesn't hold up for long. The apricot jam adds a nice flavor too, but once it soaks into the dacquoise it makes the meringue chewy. It would be fine for a wedding cake assembled and served on the same day but don't think I would want to do it ahead of time.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 6

Interesting about the same-day use..I never thought of that. And the apricot *would* make it chewier, wouldn't it? hmm.

Maybe I'll just try it for us sometime and see what it's like. It just looked so pretty in the picture with the sliced piece on a plate...yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%