Packing Up 200 Mini Desserts

Decorating By auntsushi Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 11:48pm by missyv110

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:17pm
post #1 of 15

Hi All-
So, yesterday was the second time I've done the desserts for the foundations class at our church (I was the one who asked last week about how to approach my friend about getting paid for doing this). Anyway, I talked to my friend and he said, by all means, put in my receipts to be reimbursed. So, I'm glad I got that issued resolved.

Last night I made 100 mini s'mores cupcakes and 100 mini cherry cheesecakes. Both recipes were found on CC. They were really easy to make and turned out really yummy (see attached pictures). It took me just a few hours to make all 200 of them because I bought 4 mini muffin pans (24 per pan).

I am wondering if any of you might have any suggestions on a good way to pack up these little desserts for driving them to the church. I think I did an okay job (with the resources I had) but it could have been much better. I bought a Rubbermaid storage box that was a few feet long and about 18" wide and maybe 9" deep. I put chocolate chip cookies that I had baked for the kids on the bottom, then a half sheet cake cardboard, then the smores cupcakes, then another board, then the cheesecakes. Problem was that there was a few inches on either side that I had no board so I had to put some pudding boxes in there (and the foil). And I also had to find a way to keep the cardboard from crushing the stuff below (more pudding boxes). UGH. It seems so elementary and tacky. Good thing they were only going to the church by someone I know !!! Any ideas on how to transport these little buggers easier and nicer looking? I loved making them.

Thanks for your help everyone.
Suzanne
LL
LL
LL
LL

14 replies
sue65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue65 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 15

Hi

I have already made 200 regular cupcakes and I had 1 1/2 hours of cars to do. I have put some BC under each cupcake and put them on a cake board 15X 21. After the trip they were like I leave home !!

Hope this will help !

auntsushi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsushi Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 15

So, you had to make 200 cupcakes and transport them one and one half hours ??? Is that right? You said you put them on a cakeboard with a little BC underneath them to keep them from moving on the board (right?) - but then what did you put them IN ?? Did you transport them just on top of the cakeboard in a trunk of a car or van? I have a pickup truck, which is really not good for transporting cakes - am looking into getting a different vehicle soon because I want to build my business and transport cakes EASILY.

Thanks again,
Suzanne

bump

sue65 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 15

I have made 140 km with them. 90 minutes

I put my cake board in cake box.
And then, I fill all the floor of my van with boxes who contains cupcakes, and after, I put over a second boxes on top of the first ones (you will have space between your pastries and the boxes) and nothing has moved durint the road. Don't forget to put BC inder each cupcakes and they will be stick on board

Hope this will help

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 15

I had that problem when I made a gazillion cupcakes for granddaughters birthday party at park. Didn't have plastic container large enough so used cardboard box, legos and racks from oven for diffrent levels. Washed legos with soap and clorox, made some towers to support racks, taped legos to cardboard box so wouldn't tumble or move around. Put rack on towers(supports)stacked more legos, taped, loaded cupcakes, made foil bumper around cupcakes so they wouldn't shift, another rack ect...covered top with foil and transported them. They made it. Foil, duct tape and chocolate, main ingredients in my first aid kit!!! Shot of tequila for the big stuff.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:22pm
post #6 of 15

Come again, Sue65! What exactly are you saying?
We want to know! : )

PerryStCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PerryStCakes Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 15

I just went through this 2 weeks ago - 300 mini cupcakes. I bought these plastic containers from sugarcraft.com that holds mini cupcakes and they arrived in top shape. My supermarket uses the same containers to package their mini cupcakes - I should have asked them if I could buy some from them....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 15

Lego Towers! what a cool idea! Do ya think if I bought a set for my granddaughter but used part of them in the business that I could write 'em off? hahahahaha! icon_lol.gif

sue65 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 15

Ok !!

I will try to tell you step by step:

1) I took cake board 15 X 21

2) I put BC under each cupcakes and put them on cake board, each cake doesn't touch the one beside

3) I put the cake board in boxes 15X21

4) I put the boxes on the floor of my van

5) When the floor is full, I put the other boxes on the top of ones on the floor...

6) I arrive on wedding place 90 minutes later, I put all the cupcakes on the rack and bring back with me the cake board...

7) I arrive at home, I wash my cake board and I'm ready to re-use it for another cake !

I think it is the cheaper way to travel with cupcakes !!

Look at the picture, and you will see they were all OK

http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sue65mp/detail?.dir=d1dbre2&.dnm=e783re2.jpg

http://cf.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sue65mp/detail?.dir=d1dbre2&.dnm=a3f0re2.jpg&.src=ph

Other questions ??? (Sorry because English is not my language, but I'm trying to put a lot of details ... )

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 15

Indydebi, you could try! LOL

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 15

I use cake boxes--the full sheetcake size that I have purchased and line them with foil to keep them clean so I can reuse them. I have three boxes specifically for small treats.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 12:03am
post #12 of 15

Ohhhh! Now I get it! A picture tells a thousand words. Thats a great idea!
Thanks for the tip Sue 65 icon_smile.gif

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 1:39am
post #13 of 15

I like to use shirt boxes for the smaller baked items. Even when you're making a million of them, you can easily stack the shirt boxes and you can line the bottom of the boxes with coordinating tissue paper or foil and they are shallow enough that they look like they're made for the small treats.

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:01pm
post #14 of 15

At my local grocerer No Frills, they put out all their boxes so you have the option of putting your groceries in them instead of using bags. I swear by the carboard trays that hold the produce! They are about 2' x 3', and 5" deep - and stackable! There are little groves on the top and bottom that allow them to stack securely and won't slide around. This is how I transport all my cookies, cupcakes, mini cakes, and sometimes my cakes too.

Trust me. thumbs_up.gif

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 1 Dec 2006 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 15

Sue, thanks, that was a great explanation. I'm guessing you could have told us in French OR English, am I right? (just guessing from your location)

Your cupcakes are BEAUTIFUL, I love the deep chocolate contrasted with the ivory colour - lovely.

I like the 'dab of buttercream' under each cupcake too - great idea.
-------------------------------------

UberHipster - my first stop tomorrow morning is NO FRILLS (for the .99 DH mix) and I LOVE your idea of the produce boxes - brilliant!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%