Wilton Professional Turntable ?

Decorating By mkerton Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 5:47pm by AZrunner

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 11

Last night I just got the wilton professional turntable....I excitedly got it out of the box and just slapped the two pieces together....to my dismay it wobbles quite a bit....I was expecting it to turn smoothly without much if any wobble....did I get a faulty one...or is this what I should expect?

I even stuck my b-day cake on it to see if the weight would lesson the wobble....but nope....

edited to say I have emailed Wilton's customer service to ask the same question, but I thought I would throw it out here and see if others are having the same trouble as I am.

10 replies
cmcgarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmcgarr Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 11

Mine also wobbles, but when I put a cake on it, it works smoothly.
Maybe you did get a faulty one icon_sad.gif
Are you working on an even surface, and is your cake centered? (just a few thoughts to cease the wobble)

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:18pm
post #3 of 11

A lot of people on CC hate their wilton turntables, but I really like mine. It does wobble quite a bit, but hasn't caused me any trouble. If you're turning it to decorate the wobble doesn't really interfere since you'd be going slowly anyway. At least that's my experience...

mkerton Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 11

Ok perhaps I need to just give it a try and see how well it works while decorating. I had heard lots of complaints about the tilting turntable which is why I went with this one....

georgies_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgies_girl Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 11

Mine wobbles just a little, but to make it turn smooooooooooothly, take it apart and spray the post with a little wd-40 or I even use canola spray on it. It'll spin all day!

mkerton Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 11

oh thanks for the tip georgies_girl... I am going to try it....thanks for the info all...I knew I would get answers from here faster than waiting on customer service!

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 11

Sometimes the rod that goes into the base is tight especially with a new one, have you tried a little wd 40 or machine oil or grease and lube the inside of the base and the rod, then work the top part all the way down inside the base, sometimes if it does not go all the way down it may cause some wobbling, just a thought. That may not be the problem, but it might be worth a try.

mkerton Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 11

yeah I didnt think it was going all the way in....wonder why it doesnt come with any instructions (I know its only in two pieces) but it might have been helpful to hear about WD40 or something similar.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 11

mine also wobbles and i have had it for 10 years now. i still use it. it doesnt affect me. but i do know that your opinion changes when you were expecting one thing and got another.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 11

I would not use WD40 it is not food safe. I use canola oil or PAM, then I don't have to worry about the food contamination. Mine does wobble but I still love it.

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 11

Ditto here too! Mine wobbles and have even thought of taking it back at first, but have been using it for almost a year now.

Also a slight problem with Wilton's 3-tier stand. The top seems to lean a little when cake is mounted. I've also noticed this with other pictures I've seen as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%