Sunbeam Mixer?

Decorating By CarolinaBelle Updated 26 Sep 2006 , 7:10pm by Bettycrockermommy

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 11:05am
post #1 of 9

Any of you have a Sunbeam model:2346 mixer? I don't want to go to the expense of a KA yet. I thought that this mixer would be nice. Anyone have opinions on this model?
Thanks for your help.

*from the Sunbeam site*
Sunbeam 2346
Full Die Cast Metal Construction for stability
Dual Motor for 3 way beating action
Powerful 450 Watt motor
12 Variable Speeds
Heavy-duty beaters, wire whisks and dough hooks for complete mixing versatility
Synchronized bowl and beater speeds
Two brushed stainless steel mixing bowls

http://www.sunbeam.com/productdetail.aspx?PId=55

8 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 11:20am
post #2 of 9

I was wondering the same thing as I cant quite afford a ka just yet and have seen the sunbeams so heres a bump

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 9

I have one. I bought it when I was making many batches of cookies a couple of years ago. It worked great. I also used it when I started decorating cakes and it worked great for mixing my cake batter and making icing. I have seen some posts on other threads from folks who did not care for it. However!!!, I got an opportunity to get a KA at a phenomenal price and took the leap. I absolutely love the KA and now my poor Sunbeam is totally neglected. I am keeping it though in case I get busy enough to really need 2 mixers.

Cindy

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 9

I have a sunbeam and a KA.

I'm not exactly 100% sure, but I think that's the same one I have. I loved it and I still love it....it's only downfall to me is that it doesn't have a paddle.

When I got my KA, it had a paddle with it.

It is a good mixer.

Have you checked amazon.com for a deal on a KA? They will sell refurbished ones also for a cheap price. Good Luck to you!

praetorian2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
praetorian2000 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 9

I have been considering a sunbeam for the longestbecause I also can't afford KA. On another forum I asked and was told that since I don't bake much and therefore won't use it much, a sunbeam would be a better buy. However, I have seen great prices for KA on ebay.

CarolinaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaBelle Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you for the replies everyone.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 6:01am
post #7 of 9

Looking at Walmart the other day their KA's are just a few dollars higher than the Sunbeams. But I'm sure the wattage might have been lower. I have an aunt who used those Sunbeams and mixing her buttercream kept tearing them up. After buying the KA she used it for 20 or more years until it burned up in her house fire.

heystopthatnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heystopthatnow Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 6:29am
post #8 of 9

A few years ago, I bought a Sunbeam stand mixer and I REGRET buying it. I got to try out a KA a few months ago and it was GREAT!!!!!

1) It is MUCH louder than the KA...I can't use it past 9 PM or I'm gonna have some really cranky neighbors

2) It doesn't have a paddle.

3) It's a struggle tilting the head back for those who aren't lefties!

4) The wire whisks are stationary SO if you want to move the bowl around so that the mixture on the side/edges is also being mixed, you'll need to:
a) scrape the side w/a small spatula while it's going
b) move the bowl moving switch back and forth

5) overall it isn't as strong or effective as the KA.

I HOPE MY SUNBEAM WILL DIE SO THAT I CAN BUY A KA!!

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 9

That is exactly the mixer that I have. the only trouble I have with it is getting the small bowl unlocked and off. As far as mixing goes, I have never had a problem with it. I'd buy another one, if I could afford it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%