Glucose?

Decorating By patooty70 Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 12:12pm by AMW

patooty70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patooty70 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 10:24am
post #1 of 5

Hello,
hope everyone had a great weekend. I was wondering if glucose is the same as corn syrup.

TIA
Rachel

4 replies
AMW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMW Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 10:47am
post #2 of 5

It is not the same, they come from different sources and corn syrup has sulfites in it which some people have allergies to. You can, however, usually use one in place of another.

patooty70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patooty70 Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 11:16am
post #3 of 5

I was wondering about it as I wanted to try to make some modeling chocolate. If I use corn syrup, will it change the properties of the end product? Also, I've never tasted it...anyone have any input?

Cheers.
R

nenufares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nenufares Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 11:23am
post #4 of 5

Well, I am no expert but I have a Wilton glucose jar in my hands and the label says: Ingredients: Corn Syrup.

I really don't know if there is a difference. I use corn syrup instead of glucose to make my fondant and to make modeling chocolate with good results.

AMW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMW Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 5

Well, I would certainly question Wilton if they are claiming that corn syrup is glucose. Corn syrup comes from corn and glucose comes from sugar cane. Corn syrup is generally less expensive than glucose so I use it in my modeling chocolate. The only time I have used glucose was in the case of a woman who wanted fondant but was alergic to the sulfites in the corn syrup. It did not change the fondant in texture or taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%