What Would You Do? Advice Please!

Decorating By ddog Updated 25 Sep 2006 , 1:13am by ddog

ddog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddog Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 10

I said I would do a cake for one of my friends baby showers (for free). I was about to start baking, and my youngest daughter threw up. She has continued to be sick for the past few hours. There is a nasty stomach bug that has been going on around here, and i guess we have it.

Should I cancel the cake?
The shower is tomorrow and the last thing I want is to put them in a bind, but would you want a cake from someone that had a sick kid??

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 10

isolate child in bedroom w/ all needed to stay there while you bake (mr. snuggles, water, music/tv, etc.)

sanitize kitchen counters, pans, mixer, etc. --- any thing cake will contact.

thoroughly scrub your own hands (hot water and soap) and dry w/ paper towels. for extra measure, hit w/ sanitizer too. wear apron that you take off every time before leaving kitchen to check on child.

then bake away.

remove apron, check on child while cakes in oven. (asleep yet?)

resanitize self.

replace apron

on to BC or fondant.

remove apron, check child (asleep yet? hmmm see note below)

resanitize.

apron on.

do about half of cake decorating.

remove apron, check child (not asleep yet -- see my mom's remedy below -- tho' tasty, not reccomended!)

resanitize

apron on.

finish cake.

box cake and stash safely.

remove apron....hopefully child asleep by now.

-------------

of course if any "accidents" happen while checking child, may need to change clothes too.

and isn't there one of those kiddy medicine products that knock them out? sort of like Nyquil does adults? (or am I just remembering the old milk with dark kayro syrup and dash of whisky or rum mom used to give me?)

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 10

DOUG YOU ROCK!

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 10

I, personally, would not want my friend to make a cake if her child was sick. I would want my friend to take care of her family first. I would want to know asap so I could order another cake though. Hope your little girl is feeling better soon!

icon_smile.gif

kos

ddog Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 10

Doug you are hilarious! I always love all your comments!

I am worried mainly cause stomach bugs are so sneaky. They hit so quick you can be fine one minute and the next puking. I have two other small kids that might be sick with it to before the night is over, not to mention my husband and myself. Once one of us gets it we usually all have it before the week is up.

Lucky me! Lots of fun at my house!!! Don't you wish you were here?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog

Doug you are hilarious! I always love all your comments!

I am worried mainly cause stomach bugs are so sneaky. They hit so quick you can be fine one minute and the next puking. I have two other small kids that might be sick with it to before the night is over, not to mention my husband and myself. Once one of us gets it we usually all have it before the week is up.

Lucky me! Lots of fun at my house!!! Don't you wish you were here?

hmmmm....then PS on mom's remedy >>>>>

I often thought that while she made a very small glass for me.....

she made a very LARGE glass for herself! truly: MOM's remedy!

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 10

Why don't you contact your friend & inform her that your child is sick and see what she thinks.

Hope your dd feels better soon!

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:06am
post #8 of 10

I see no harm in making the cake and if possible taking it over to where ever it needs to go tonight if possible. As long as you wash your hands and keep the child out of the kitchen everything should be fine. I think in this day and age we OVER sanitze things and do not let our immune systems do the job they were meant to do. Thus we end up with SUPER bugs that are hard to kill. If we would let our kids play in the dirt and quit running to the doctor for every little sniffle and sneeze to demand antibiotics we would all be healthier in the end. The immune system is like a computer ...it needs input in order to work correctly. Good hand washing is the best thing you can do....period! (RN here)

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 12:21am
post #9 of 10

It would depend on the child's age & how much she needs mommy's tender care. Most kids want to be held or comforted when they are sick. My older boys are okay while I work around the house, but the youngest still needs me more when he is sick.

If I were your friend, I would rather you let me make the decision. Just give her a call.

Doug - that is "MOM'S REMEDY"! It would be mine, anyway! icon_biggrin.gif

ddog Posted 25 Sep 2006 , 1:13am
post #10 of 10

thanks everyone! I did take your advice and called her. she said she would just get a cake from our local bakery. my kids are young 2,3,and5. They do need a lot of care when not sick let alone when sick...

doug if i wasn't pregnant i would definitly have to use your mom's remedy. for now coke and choclate will have to do!!! that is coke-a-cola hehehe!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%