Why Oh Why Don't People....

Decorating By CakeRN Updated 18 Aug 2007 , 3:04am by CakeRN

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:58am
post #1 of 27

why don't people when they download their pictures to the website put comments on them . I love it when people tell what everything is ..ie buttercream, fondant, gumpaste etc....just so I know if it is feasible for me to do. Then people some people never check their comments when people ask them for "how to do's" or what did you use for this....

So please...please please...if you are going to post your cakes write some comments about what you used , how you did it and expect people to ask for directions. AND check your comments to see if people have asked for directions and follow up with them......please share....

sorry for whining.....

26 replies
julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #2 of 27

just to let you know....You are whining.

Erika513x2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erika513x2 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:06am
post #3 of 27

thank u i'm not the only one that thinks that , but then they answer it in the comments when people ask them .....instead of just posting it from day 1

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:07am
post #4 of 27

Sometimes the people that have posted pictures are no longer members and can't come back to read their comments or post directions.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:08am
post #5 of 27

I'm like you, the more information the better!! Then I can decide if I'm gutsy enough to try something that might hopefully resemble their creation!!

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:13am
post #6 of 27

Just to let you know, not everyone receives e-mail notification that comments have been added enabled in their settings, so they might not know someone has asked a question. I've had that enabled, but still been surprised to go look at cakes I posted a while back and seen that new comments (or questions) have been added, because I didn't get the notifying e-mail. No system is perfect. icon_smile.gif I might suggest that if you don't get an answer to your questions, you PM the person who made the cake. It might keep you from getting frustrated.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:14am
post #7 of 27

And also it means you can post better comments, like Oh wow I can't believe that's buttercream it looks as smooth as fondant, or your fondant is so smooth etc etc.... icon_biggrin.gif Or it's a fantastic engagement cake, looks like it would make a great wedding cake too and so on

It is hard to say anything detailed about something you don't know anything about!

icon_biggrin.gif

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:17am
post #8 of 27

I like to read the details that people post about their cakes, cookies, ect.. ..just my two cents worth

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:18am
post #9 of 27

maybe when they post, they just want to upload the pic and go do something else, or really DON'T want to say anything more about the cake.

Then change their minds, there are so many reasons

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:29am
post #10 of 27

I appreciate what your saying but for me sometimes my cakes are so complex it is nearly impossible to describe, especially when I'm making up stuff as I go alone. (My Dr. Suess Gingerbread house is a good example of that). I answer PMs but it takes me a very long time to try and describe things. I usually mention if it's fondant, GP, BC ect. but that's about it. I did do a separate post on how to do a hatbox cake. I'm sure other people have the same problem. It gets a little overwhelming. icon_smile.gif

CakeRN Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:38am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

eggshell said...Sometimes the people that have posted pictures are no longer members and can't come back to read their comments or post directions.

Why would you want to quit a website like this??? icon_surprised.gif Who would be a member then quit??

I would just like to have something other than their name ....it's like walking up to a friend and having someone with you and you don't introduce them at all.
So introduce your cakes ladies....'Hi...I'm an all buttercream princess cake with a royal icing tiara. My ruffles are made of fondant and I have strawberry guts..." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:39am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

why don't people when they download their pictures to the website put comments on them . I love it when people tell what everything is ..ie buttercream, fondant, gumpaste etc....just so I know if it is feasible for me to do. Then people some people never check their comments when people ask them for "how to do's" or what did you use for this....

So please...please please...if you are going to post your cakes write some comments about what you used , how you did it and expect people to ask for directions. AND check your comments to see if people have asked for directions and follow up with them......please share....

sorry for whining.....

I AGREE 100%.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:42am
post #13 of 27
Quote:

So introduce your cakes ladies....'Hi...I'm an all buttercream princess cake with a royal icing tiara. My ruffles are made of fondant and I have strawberry guts..." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

lol!!!!!

I love strawberry guts! I wish I had strawberry guts!

I worry that sometimes I put too much info. But I'm a total chatty cathy and very long winded. Guess I figure if someone doesn't want to know, they won't read it.

sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:45am
post #14 of 27

Shoot, I wasn't finished....

I wanted to say that I'm off to upload new from this weekend...I'll be sure to put as much info as I can.

CakeRN Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:49am
post #15 of 27

yea sarahnichole975.....thanks... oh is that your picture as your avatar? I love to talk once I know someone but I listen first....but love chatty cathy;s too....

RaYiTo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaYiTo Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:50am
post #16 of 27

i am deleting my pics. i dont have beautiful cakes yet because I am starting ,but it feels awful to see so many people had seen your cake and nobody comments.. i love to aprecciate other members cake ands leave comments on theirs. I love this site.love the cakes and i know that someday i will make beautiful cakes like some of the ones I SEE HERE!.

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:50am
post #17 of 27

Hahaha I'm with you Sarahnichole975, my problem is there isn't enough room sometimes for everything i want to say about the cake! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeRN Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 2:15am
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYiTo

i am deleting my pics. i dont have beautiful cakes yet because I am starting ,but it feels awful to see so many people had seen your cake and nobody comments.. i love to aprecciate other members cake ands leave comments on theirs. I love this site.love the cakes and i know that someday i will make beautiful cakes like some of the ones I SEE HERE!.

DO NOT DELETE YOUR PHOTO'S!!! Your cakes are great and we all get better with practice. I am no where close to being as good as most of these people on this forum but I am proud of my cakes and what I have learned. So keep doing cakes and love what you are doing....

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:34am
post #19 of 27

i agree dont delete your pics. i mean look at mine. you can definitly tell which was my first. but even so i am still proud of every one because that just means one more towards becoming better. display your cakes with pride, even if they end up upside down on the floor lol.

also we do need more info on cakes. ladies chat your heart out as long as we know details about the cake you can talk all night lol.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 3:41am
post #20 of 27

I write what I would like to read... that way I figure maybe someone will say hey thats cool to know what size it is.... I should do that next time! icon_lol.gif

My problem is that sometime I would like to do that and I have no idea what size it is! icon_lol.gif Sometimes on messy pics you can tell, cause there will be a teaspoon or a measuring cup or something! But once I thought a cake was made with cupcakes and hen found out it was the ball pan! icon_lol.gif BIG difference!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:11am
post #21 of 27
Quote:

sorry for whining.....

I've started threads on this topic in the past. At the risk of sounding full of myself, I have to say that I get so many comments that is impossible for me to read them all....let alone answer them all. I do go over my photos now and then....I do read them, I do appreciate them all....but it's only when my schedule allows it. Life comes first, right?
I put short general descriptions on my photos, but I have practically begged to be pm'd with questions instead of leaving them in the comments.
I simply don't want to not answer someone's request. I think most of you will agree that I try to help whenever possible. If you pm me, it may take a little while(or not), but I guarantee you will get a nice loooong descripive answer with a welcome for more questions and a great big thank you!!!
Did I sound conceited? I hope not, but I don't know how else to explain my particular situation.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:34am
post #22 of 27

RaYiTo-the fact that a person takes the time to click on and view your cakeisa comment in itself--it's a compliment! I, too, am just starting out and there aren't many comments on my cakes. I'd love for there to be more feedback on my cakes, but new photos frequently are only shown for a few seconds and after that people have to just sort of trip over them. Just keep baking and posting, and let us enjoy your progress with you!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 4:39am
post #23 of 27

there was quite an extended period of time where each time i tried to upload a photo, if i put anything other than the title, it never completed, so after a dozen attempts, i'd leave it blank, because that was my only option.

there was also a question about answering questions that are left in the comments of a picture. there ere times when it may be a very descriptive answer, and so i'll pm the individual instead.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:03am
post #24 of 27

I always feel bad for the decorator who has all those comments that just say "Please pm (or email) me with directions for this cake!" Then once one person does it there will be like 10 (or more) comments like that! icon_lol.gif

sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:21am
post #25 of 27

Hi CakeRN! I'm always open for a good conversation about ANYTHING! And yep, that's my cheesy smile!

And write away Nicole, because as much as I like to talk about, I like to hear about!

And for, rayito, everyone starts somewhere. You'll enjoy looking back one day. Now I'm off to look at your pics!

sarahnichole975 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 5:33am
post #26 of 27

Okay, so I went and looked at your cakes. First I want to say you give good info about them. Secondly, I can PROMISE you that I have an entire album of cakes that plenty of people wouldn't think are that spectacular. But I had to learn some where! And I can assure you if I had known about here back then, I'd have been displaying them and no one would have been impressed! But they're still special to me. And I remember every ordeal with EVERY one. And the multiple of times I found myself crying because they just wouldn't work. And it has taken me YEARS, and there's still sometimes when I do! For a beginner, I'd say you're well on your way. No DELETING! Keep on posting, and I'm gonna watch you grow!!!

CakeRN Posted 18 Aug 2007 , 3:04am
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:

sorry for whining.....

I've started threads on this topic in the past. At the risk of sounding full of myself, I have to say that I get so many comments that is impossible for me to read them all....let alone answer them all. I do go over my photos now and then....I do read them, I do appreciate them all....but it's only when my schedule allows it. Life comes first, right?
I put short general descriptions on my photos, but I have practically begged to be pm'd with questions instead of leaving them in the comments.
I simply don't want to not answer someone's request. I think most of you will agree that I try to help whenever possible. If you pm me, it may take a little while(or not), but I guarantee you will get a nice loooong descripive answer with a welcome for more questions and a great big thank you!!!
Did I sound conceited? I hope not, but I don't know how else to explain my particular situation.

No you do not sound conceited...not in the least. Usually if i want directions on something someone has done I do go ahead and pm them and ask if they would mind sharing. I too don't want anyone to think I am ignoring them by not aswering questions. I have had to give out directions on a cake to many people and instead of writing the same thing out over and over I just copy and paste from the first directions...works well... thanks for all your input!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%