Crusting Whipped Cream Frosting???

Decorating By good36 Updated 26 Sep 2006 , 11:12pm by agagnier

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 9

Is there such a thing. I have never made a whipped icing before and I really don't know how YIKES! Can anyone help me? I am doing a three tier wedding cake on Thursday afternoon and need your help. She wants a "whipped frosting" so it isn't so sweet!
thank you
Judy

8 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 9

I've never heard of a crusting whipped cream. I don't think they usually contain the ingrediants required to make it crust.

But here's a bump.

MSurina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MSurina Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 9

Good question!! I would love to know this as well!! I LOVE whipped cream icing.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 9

I have no idea if this would work, but I'd add 1T of meringue powder to about 4 cups of the cream just before you're done whipping it. That's all I can think of!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 9

I dont know for sure...but I dont think so. It needs to have a certain amount of sugar to fat ratio to make it crust. In the whipped icings there is not as much sugar so they dont crust...I think i needs to be somewhere in the area of 1 cup fat (crisco/butter etc) to about 4 cups sugar.

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 9

The whipped icing i make will crust..........somewhat, but not like a regular buttercream icing. I frost the cake as smooth as possible, put it in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes the take it out and smooth it with the hot knife method.
Here's the recipe i use:
2 cups shortening
2 poungs conf. sugar
1-2 tsos clear vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups of whipping cream

Cream the shortening and add the vanilla and salt.
Gradually add the sugar about a half cup at a time letting it mix well in between intervals with your mixer on low - medium speed. After you get about 1 1/2 cups of sugar in, the mixture will begin to get a little pasty, so i usually start adding just a little bit of cream then (less strain on your mixer). When all the sugar is in add the remaining cream and mix on a medium speed for a few minutes, then increase the mixer speed to a high setting for about 10 minutes.
This will give you a great tasting , pure white buttercream that won't taste greasy or overly sweet

Hope this helps.
I use this icing a lot of my cakes. If you look in my photo's the unconventional wedding cake was done with this icing. as well as most of the other cakes too.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 9

This looks great jwm; thank you sssooo much!
Can I ask if you do your roses with it as well?
Looking at the unconventional wedding cake the roses are beautiful!
Love that cake for the unconventional couple!

jwm296 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jwm296 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks. No, my roses are done with royal icing. The whipped icing is way too soft for them.

agagnier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agagnier Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 9

I use the wilton whipped frosting. A little more expensive but well worth it. It holds it shape well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%