Am I Just Being Cranky????? Please Someone Tell Me

Decorating By laneym Updated 1 Aug 2007 , 3:53pm by chigurl

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:10pm
post #31 of 68

Something should only be expected for free if YOU offer it! If your niece was having a birthday and you said "oh as my gift can I make her cake?"

Otherwise, I think it's quite rude to expect something for nothing. The last birthday cake I made was for a little boy who attended my daughter's first birthday party. They bought my daughter these beautiful pop up books. Well she asked me to make her son's first birthday cake because she wanted something "nice" She fully expected to pay me a lot for his cake but when she showed up I only charged her what it cost to make the cake. I told her that my time and "expertise" were my gift. She was very pleasantly surprised and grateful. I was the one who felt kinda rude like I should have given her the whole thing -since I said it was a gift -but she was very happy to pay cost.

I hope you made em pay for their cake thumbs_up.gif

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:11pm
post #32 of 68

I have really enjoyed reading this thread!

I just had to add -- my sister's boyfriend's parents (who will probably be her in-laws before too long) are very, very, very (that's really not enough very's!!) wealthy. The mom orders a lot of cake from me, as she does a lot of entertaining and does not cook at all. In May, she ordered three small cakes for their family birthday celebration, as they had three birthdays in May, and one of them was for my sister. Before we hung up the phone, she said "since it's ____(my sister's)___ birthday, do I have to pay for these cakes?" I could have died!

Then on the other hand there are the people that I know for a fact are barely making ends meet or have recently had a family tragedy or have recently fallen on hard times who have helped me during my life or someone I know, and I want to discount their cake or give it to them at no charge and they insist on paying full price! I even had one sweet little woman in our church that I knew really couldn't afford the cake for her granddaughter, but was willing to scrape it together, who I wouldn't let pay me the day I delivered it, but she really tried to insist and the very next day I received a check in the mail. Of course, it never got cashed, but it really warmed my heart!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:17pm
post #33 of 68

I am a victim of this also, such a pushover. I don't know if i'll ever learn. Even the ones willing to pay know what a cake costs at walmart and are thinking I should be able to do it for the same price. Look in my photo's the under the sea cake, I was paid $35.00 for that cake, I added up my ingredients and my costs were around 35.00 didn't make one dime on that one. It was for an aquaintance, not a close friend, but a friend, and I think she really thought she was paying me alot. Its my fault though, Its really hard for me to ask for money for my my work, its been a hobby mostly, but with 3 wedding cakes in the last few weeks and I have done them all for free, i'm getting tired of it. Can't complain though, because it is my fault, its a problem I have, so i'll have to just deal with it. I'm one of those people pleasers, can't say no.

sparklineagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklineagle Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:19pm
post #34 of 68

I have gotten this same treatment from people in the past...I guess since I am a cake decorator for a living they think that when I decorate from home it should be free....NOT! I finally put my foot down a while back and now I tell them upfront before I even buy one ounce of powdered sugar that I expect X amount of money for supplies and my services

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 5:19pm
post #35 of 68

It seems that we CCer's certainly have a hard time talking about money upfront.....I firmly believe that the price should be agreed upon prior to the oven warming up it is only good business practice. Matter-of-fact all cakes should have some sort of contract so we agree to size, colors, design, favors, time finished, delivery, return of plates etc., etc., etc.......no matter if the cake is for the President of the United States or Mom's SIL's, cousin's child, twice removed & next door neighbor. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (I know.....smarty pants talking.)

But really, the price should be agreed upon prior to the oven warming up! Cuz if we don't we are only asking for trouble.

frostingfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostingfairy Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 6:44pm
post #36 of 68
Quote:
Quote:

I live with a stand-up comic .... and I'm his head writer! Laughing

No kidding?!? My hubby is a stand-up comedian, too (although I know I'm funnier). I also need some backbone to "Just Say No" free cake!

chigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chigurl Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:12pm
post #37 of 68

I am so happy I found this post. I had a coworker as me to make a volleyball cake for next Friday. She requested it a week and a half ago. You know the large round cake on the bottom, half volleyball cake on the top, with grass under the volleyball. I had made a similar soccer ball cake for another coworker about a month ago. Well, I had forgotten to ask if she had wanted something written on the larger cake so I emailed her. She told me her husband is not willing to pay the price I quoted her for the cake and she is sorry if she caused me any inconvenience. Why do people do this? Yes, I bought the supplies needed but I probably will use them in the future. I guess my being new to this, I shouldn't be upset and expect it from time to time. I'm sure they are probably not aware of the work that goes into making their "special cakes".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:18pm
post #38 of 68

chigirl, in the manufacturing world, when a customer cancels an order and the materials have already been bought, then they are invoiced for the materials. We can't use them ..... we are not eating the cost.

tiptop57 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:19pm
post #39 of 68

chigurl - Good for You!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif Oh by the way, welcome to the boards! icon_wink.gif

tiptop57 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:23pm
post #40 of 68

Well Indydebi then there is always the restocking fee, but let's not scare the newbie icon_eek.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

cakesuzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesuzette Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:31pm
post #41 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by pklundberg

Yeah...know the feeling.
I recently made a cake for the girl next door. It was a pair of flip flops and a beach ball cake. Since my 2 young children were invited to the pool party, each of them took her a present as well. When we discussed the cake, I told her I would only charge her for the ingredients to make it. Well......while we were at the party, the little girl kept telling everyone I made it for free. (I didn't want that kind of advertising.) Then the mother pipes in, "she owed us, since I mowed her front yard a few weeks ago."
Okay....so what about the "FREE" labor I gave you on the cake. Didn't that count for anything. It took me 6+ hours and it only took her 35 mins. Thanks for telling me ahead of time. I wouldn't have made the beach ball cake. It didn't even get cut anyway.
I was so ticked off. Maybe if she had told me before hand, I would have accepted that.
P.S. - We never asked her to mow our yard. She just did it, since she knew we were out of town and she was already mowing hers.

Thanks for letting me vent a little.

OMG! That is beyond tacky on so many levels! First of all, how did a 5 year old know it was free?! Does mom discuss this sort of thing in earshot? Second, saying you "owe" her?! In front of guests?!

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:32pm
post #42 of 68

Restocking Fee! How did I forget that one!! icon_lol.gif

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 7:45pm
post #43 of 68

i'm having a little trouble getting over the "first crack" at the cake. you want FIRST CRACK? make 'em one of those bare butt cakes from the naughty gallery. "and that'll be $50 for my first crack!"

malika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malika Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:09pm
post #44 of 68

I'm currently going through something similiar. I haven't made the cake yet, but she told me, "let me know if you need anything", and I'm assuming she's expecting it for free. I hope not.

tiptop57 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 8:59pm
post #45 of 68

Here is a fabulous cake by Beachcakes that I would love to give as a free cake to a few people talked about on this list.....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=29454

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:26pm
post #46 of 68

I find it really hard to charge friends...even when they are willing to pay. I don't even like to do cakes for people I know because I know I will just tell them "don't worry about it" when the whole time I'm thinking I could really use some grocery money this month!!!! ARGH. I don't know why it's a problem, it's just uncomfortable. The graduation cake in my photos more than likely took me 6 hours from beginning to end (after doing the cap, diploma, etc) and I told her "don't worry about it" when she asked what she owed me. I have GOT to get over myself. I need Indydebi to follow me around with a hot poker for awhile.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:33pm
post #47 of 68

I've nodded so much reading this thread I have a headache!

In the words of Barney Fife... NIP IT! NIP IT IN THE BUD!!!

Edited to pull in the dirty laundry..sorry I don't usually rant! tapedshut.gif

Steph2325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steph2325 Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 9:53pm
post #48 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by malika

I'm currently going through something similiar. I haven't made the cake yet, but she told me, "let me know if you need anything", and I'm assuming she's expecting it for free. I hope not.

Malika,
If you're making cakes as a profession (as opposed to a hobby), then it is your responsibility to BE VERY CLEAR on all details, including payment. It is unprofessional to not mention money at all, worry about whether they are going to pay you or not, and then dump an unexpected amount on them when you deliver the cake. (because they MAY be assuming it's free). Don't hate me, but this is your responsibility, not theirs. (cuz people will take advantage of anything IF YOU LET THEM!) icon_biggrin.gif

Happy Day,
Steph

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:23pm
post #49 of 68

Actually I think whether you do it for a profession or a hobby, you need to be upfront about money. Even my colleagues who order cakes and who I give discounts too pay me a deposit to book their cake in. I never accept orders through people, oh so and so would like a cake, can you do it, I say here's my phone number, email have them contact me. And I suppose friend and family wise I'm pretty lucky, none of my friends expect free cakes, I love seeing their faces when they get one, and my family have come down hard on me that if I'm doing the cake then that is the present and I'm to stop buying extra presents.

I never start baking until I've given a quote and it's been accepted.

icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:25pm
post #50 of 68

LOL tiptop! He didn't get the joke, either! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 10:33pm
post #51 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

I know I will just tell them "don't worry about it" when the whole time I'm thinking I could really use some grocery money this month!!!!

For those with "Wussy-Syndrome" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif try looking at it this way.....

If you were applying for a full time job and when they got to the how-much-it-pays part, would you sit there and say "Oh don't worry about it" and work for free? Heck no!! You'd expect a check every week!

So why don't you expect a check for every cake?

If you don't take yourself seriously, how do you expect others to take your seriously?

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 31 Jul 2007 , 11:56pm
post #52 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine76

i'm having a little trouble getting over the "first crack" at the cake. you want FIRST CRACK? make 'em one of those bare butt cakes from the naughty gallery. "and that'll be $50 for my first crack!"

That cracks me up (pun intended!) Some ppl!!

My worst was a co-worker / friend.

I hadn't yet started selling cakes at all, but my boyfriend volunteered me to make this friend's wedding cake. I didn't mind since I thought it would be a great way to try new things out. We agreed to a simple design I could do as well that he would cover the cost of supplies (the labour was my gift.)

Well, at the wedding, everyone came over and thanked me for the wonderful gift - it was really nice to have the families thank me as well.

But wouldn't you know, 10 months later, I still haven't been reimbursed for the supplies even though I provided receipts. He thought a simple little lunch would cover it! yeah... right! I haven't even gotten the lunch!! And here I am complaining even though I don't have the guts to confront him about it. The guy perpetually claims he is broke.

*sigh* just slap a sticker on my forehead that say "Is willing to be taken advantage of"

Now with my friends I state a price as soon as I know the final design and before I do any work!

my other vent - I used to bring in baking all the time as I tried out new recipes and such (i'm fat enough as is!) and now I started to actually sell my baking, the guys are so resentful they don't get as much for free anymore (figured out my recipes) that is all they harp on when some nice person buys somes to bring in and share with the group - "when do we get free stuff again" or, " I love your baking, too bad it isn't free anymore, hint hint", "Why don't you bring us in baking anymore?"

I definitely screwed myself in the foot with that one!

Ok rant done!

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:09am
post #53 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdqueen

I find it really hard to charge friends...even when they are willing to pay. I don't even like to do cakes for people I know because I know I will just tell them "don't worry about it" when the whole time I'm thinking I could really use some grocery money this month!!!! ARGH. I don't know why it's a problem, it's just uncomfortable. The graduation cake in my photos more than likely took me 6 hours from beginning to end (after doing the cap, diploma, etc) and I told her "don't worry about it" when she asked what she owed me. I have GOT to get over myself. I need Indydebi to follow me around with a hot poker for awhile.

I have the same problem ,I cannot even ask money from the friends who are offering to pay .The thing is I donot wnat to hear one of them say that I ripped them off.Peopel REALLY have no idea how much money or time goes in to these cakes.So I do free cakes for GOOD friends and get out of making cakes for people I know.Recently I got a call form some one I have only met once or twice at parties if I can make her daughter a wedding cake for free.I was soooo excited to do it it was going to be my first wedding cake .But my DH told me no way .,I was so upset but now I am so glad he made me refuse .

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:20am
post #54 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubia

....The thing is I donot wnat to hear one of them say that I ripped them off..

If you tell them the price up front and they agree to it, I don't see how they can say they were ripped off. If they think it's too high, they won't agree to pay it.

The fact that YOU are afraid they will feel "ripped off" tells me that you are not confident in your skill and talent and that you don't think it "deserves" the price. (I'm going to email you my foot ..... if you will kick yourself in the a$$ with it, I'd appreciate it!)

You are talented. You are good at your craft. Your quality work merits a quality price.

If you don't believe in the value of your work, how do you expect others to believe it?

(wagging-mom-finger going back in the storage box for awhile, now!)

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:38am
post #55 of 68

I know exactly how you feel...usually the friends and family that I make cakes for are really good about compensating me, but I have one neighbor in particular that just burns me!!! Last year she asked me to make her son his bday cake, and because I didn't speak up, it ended up being a free cake (she didn't even offer to pay me.) The end of August we are having a neighborhood block party, so this neighbor "asked" me to make her son's bday cake again, and bring it as my "contribution" to the party!!! I was so dumbfounded that I just didn't know what to say! I've finally decided that I'm going to bring it to her house the night before the party and tell her that I need x amount of $ for the ingredients (and pad that number a little!)

Some people just don't get it.

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 12:52am
post #56 of 68

Folks, it's pretty tacky to surprise someone with a bill at the last minute as you are handing them the cake. You will not run into this if you settle the money issue right up front.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 1:21am
post #57 of 68

I agree indydebi>

If they could do the cake themselves, they wouldn't come to you to make it. It would cost them to go get the supplies to make it so why shouldn't you charge for supplies. If they want free labor--"hey, make it yourself".

Price should not be an issue--your time and talent is valuable.

Just today I have had 5 calls for orders this weekend. 2 wanted sculpted cakes. I told them sculped cakes START at $60.00. "Oh, well let's just get a sheet cake." Another wanted a 3-tiered sandcastle cake "like on www.freedsbakery.com". Told her that my tiered cakes START at $50 and that particular cake would run her over $90 (she only needed to serve 30). "Oh no, I'm not spending that much on a 5th birthday. Let's just do a sheet cake".

Quote from Norman Davis "People do not realize what goes into making a cake." To further show how dense people are, he had a lady call for an elaborate cake. He quoted a price. She asked why it was so expensive. Norman explained that cake would take several hours to decorate. She said, "Well, they made the same cake on the Food Network in an hour." icon_eek.gif

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:50am
post #58 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac

"Well, they made the same cake on the Food Network in an hour."

Ha Ha!!! Do you know what those decorators on Food Network make per hour? plus they get to do a lot of work in advance. Geez, I guess you should believe everything you see on TV!!!!

indydebi Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 2:58am
post #59 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leta

Geez, I guess you should believe everything you see on TV!!!!

My computer geek friends and my photographer friends are always laughing about what they see on TV. It's become a standard joke in our house: "Why it must be possible! They did it on CSI!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 1 Aug 2007 , 3:00am
post #60 of 68

It's not even just 8 hours...like you said alot is done in the early morning before the show. And the actual taping is usually 3 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%