Is "sour Milk" Buttermilk?

Decorating By Uberhipster Updated 26 Sep 2006 , 4:52pm by kjgjam22

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:43am
post #1 of 20

There's a chocolate cake recipe that calls for sour milk. Is that buttermilk? I can't imagine using bad milk in a cake... icon_confused.gif

19 replies
newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:49am
post #2 of 20

Sour milk is an alternate for buttermilk. Sour milk can be made by using either white vinegar or lemon juice and adding it to regular milk and letting it rest a few minutes

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:50am
post #3 of 20

I believe they are the same. When I need buttermilk/sour milk, I just added one tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to one cup milk for the substitution. It worked!

peajay66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peajay66 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:50am
post #4 of 20

You can substitute "sour milk" i.e. milk with vinegar or lemon juice added in place of buttermilk in most recipes. I prefer "real" buttermilk though.

HTH

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:52am
post #5 of 20

No, but you can use it. You get sour milk by adding lemon or vinegar to regular milk. The acid in the lemon/vinegar reacts to the baking powder/baking soda in your recipe to act as a leavening agent. Where as buttermilk is actually "cultured buttermilk," meaning it is manufactured by adding lactic acid bacteria to non-fat or low-fat milk. It is slightly thicker in texture than regular milk, but not as heavy as cream. The acid in buttermilk has the same effect as a leavening agent.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:55am
post #6 of 20

Ever since I started using sour milk in my choc cake instead of regular milk, the cakes have been more moist. I swear by it. They turn out fluffier as well and are still carvable if need be.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 2:56am
post #7 of 20

They aren't exactly same but you need will need the acid for the baking soda to work. Also when people say sour milk they don't really mean the stuff that has gone bad in in the frig.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 3:01am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhipster

There's a chocolate cake recipe that calls for sour milk. Is that buttermilk? I can't imagine using bad milk in a cake... icon_confused.gif

Sour milk and buttermilk are NOT the same thing, exactly. There are lots of chocolate cake recipes that call for buttermilk. Soured milk is a decent substitution. If you don't have soured milk on hand you can make it yourself: Put 1 t. vinegar in a cup, add milk until you reach the 1 cup mark. Stir and let sit. It will become a little "chunky" and start to separate a bit. This is okay.

I don't think that soured milk and buttermilk offer exactly the same properties to your cake, however. It will still taste pretty good, but I find that butermilk actually works as a "tenderizer" of sorts in your cake. I have a really great banana cake recipe. It calls for sour milk. One day, I discovered that I didn't have enough milk in the house to sour for the recipe. But I had a quart or so of buttermilk. Now, I am NOT a big buttermilk fan, and I am even LESS of a banana fan, so I figured that the smell of the buttermilk was similar enough to the soured milk I would have made, so I decided to use it. The resulting cake is even more tender and has a better texture than made the old way, so I changed my recipe!

So I would have to say that more than likely you can interchange the two products (sour milk/buttermilk). Take it for what it's worth, but everyone here wants all of us to be successful. Give it a try and let us know how it comes out.

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 24 Sep 2006 , 3:33am
post #9 of 20

Wow, that was very fast and very helpful! And I was feeling pretty confident in my baking prowess... icon_lol.gif seems there's still so much more to learn!

Thanks everyone!

mid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mid Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 6:56am
post #10 of 20

This is a very good topic....I am scared to try the sour milk formulae...But can I use plain yogurt istead?????? icon_rolleyes.gif

shimerin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimerin Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 9:59am
post #11 of 20

Hi,
I agree with everyones method of lemon juice or vinegar into milk to make sour milk, but I disagree that sour milk is like buttermilk, buttermilk is the sweeter side of sour milk, my parents drank buttermilk when I was a boy, in fact its still advertized as a refreshing drink whereas sour milk would turn your guts if you drank it straight.

icon_eek.gif

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 10:30am
post #12 of 20

Sour milk adds a tad bit of a twang to foods, similar to Buttermilk, however buttermilk adds a thickness and creaminess that sour milk can NEVER duplicate. I soak my fried chicken in buttermilk overnight and it adds a wonderful flavor and the viscosity of the buttermilk helps me get a much better crust on my chicken.

I also love to drink the stuff... just not after the chicken has been in it. ROFL

Rachel

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 11:04am
post #13 of 20

My grandmother uses sour milk. There's a difference between rotten and sour though. She'd never use sour milk that has clabbered.

Cookie_Brookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie_Brookie Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 1:25pm
post #14 of 20

I always use sour milk in my recipes instead of buttermilk. I use the vinegar to make mine. I have never had a problem with my cakes, everyone loves how they turn out.

LittleBigMomma Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 20

hmmm....

then what would happen if we used sour cream in place of buttermilk or sour milk?

I think we'd get close to the same results...

right?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 2:45pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsright41401

Sour milk adds a tad bit of a twang to foods, similar to Buttermilk, however buttermilk adds a thickness and creaminess that sour milk can NEVER duplicate. I soak my fried chicken in buttermilk overnight and it adds a wonderful flavor and the viscosity of the buttermilk helps me get a much better crust on my chicken.

I also love to drink the stuff... just not after the chicken has been in it. ROFL

Rachel

I do that to my chicken too! It makes it very tender and juicy. I think I learned that from a Martha show while ago. For baking, sour milk is a good substitute in a pinch, but NEVER can compare for drinking straight!!! YUCK!!!! I believe you can use them interchangably if you just need the chemical reaction for your cake to rise. It depends on your recipe I guess.

LittleBigMomma said "then what would happen if we used sour cream in place of buttermilk or sour milk? I think we'd get close to the same results... "

Seems like sour cream would be way too heavy to add without altering your recipe.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 3:34pm
post #17 of 20

1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup yogurt
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (let stand for 10 minutes before using in recipe)
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup water PLUS 4 Tbsp powdered buttermilk (reconstitute before using or add dry to dry ingredients and wet to wet ingredients before mixing
1 cup buttermilk = 1/4 cup milk PLUS 3/4 cup yogurt
1 cup buttermilk = 8.5 ounces
1 cup buttermilk = 242 grams

Found this conversion chart for you.

LittleBigMomma Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 3:46pm
post #18 of 20

Then sour cream could be used in the place of yogurt?

I would think the 1/4 milk and 3/4 c. sour cream would be the best way to go....

when a buttermilk/sour milk substitution is taking place.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 4:02pm
post #19 of 20

Thank you Narie, for the Conversion chart! thumbs_up.gif

usaribbon.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 26 Sep 2006 , 4:52pm
post #20 of 20

everything i have read on substitutions say that milk with and acid added, vinegar or lemon juice is the substitute for buttermilk. i live in jamaica and buttermilk is not always available. when i need it i make it. it works fine for me. i always use 100% cream milk...non fat or lowfat milk wont change well.

i also have an orange cake recipe that the liquid is half milk and half orange juice and it thickens just the same, oh and my pineapple upside down cake i use half milk and half of the juice in the pineapple tin and it changes too. but those two liquids also change the flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%