My First Wedding Cake Was A Success!

Decorating By Franluvsfrosting Updated 30 Jul 2007 , 3:25pm by Franluvsfrosting

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 33

Thank You, Thank you, thank you to CC and all the help I got here! It turned out so pretty that I kept going over to look at it. I just couldn't believe that I'd made it!

I assembled it onsite and when I got there the bride was supposed to have some pearls that she wanted around the base of the tiers and flowers for the top and sides. Well, she didn't! The florist used all the pearls and nobody thought to order flowers for the cake!?! The florist had flowers left over (it was a friend of the family who did them in the church kitchen). So I snagged some and faked it. Keep in mind I don't know the first thing about flowers! (I did put some plastic wrap under them since I don't know what's poisonous and what's not).

Later, when it was done the photographer (who knew I was nervous about doing the flowers) told me it was every bit as beautiful as any cake she'd seen and that it looked professional. That made me feel a whole lot better (especially since I know she's been to tons of weddings).

When the bride and the mother of the groom saw it they both gasped and exclaimed and loved it (Okay, so the mog is my sil but it still felt great! lol)

And then it got better!

They started to eat the cake and all over the place I heard people exclaiming how great the cake was. The photographer came over and told me that she'd tried a lot of wedding cake in her time but mine was the best she'd ever tasted (and that she didn't even normally like cake!) She told me I should be charging a lot for my cakes and when I told her I wasn't in business she told me I should be. icon_biggrin.gif I had several people ask me for my business card and the photographer later asked me if I did birthday cakes because she wants me to make her birthday cake from now on.

Melvira, thank you so much for your tutorial on making the frosting smooth. I don't know who all I should thank individually besides her because you all helped me so much. From the cake itself (WASC) to assembling it, to making sure the frosting didn't slide off in the heat. I was nervous because it was a first (and I've only made about ten cakes total!) But all the info on here and the ability to ask questions made me feel like I could do it. So, thanks again! thumbs_up.gif
LL

32 replies
cshelz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cshelz Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 33

Your cake looks beautiful! Great job icon_biggrin.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 33

Really a lovely cake Fran. Every detail is perfect, the cakes are all level, no lopsidedness, the icing and piping are flawless. The design is understated and elegant. Congratulations on the first success, there will be many to follow I'm sure.

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 33

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif EXCELLENT Job! Here is to many more to come for you.......it's really lovely. icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 33

Your cake looks great, so elegant and classy. You should be proud and then to have people say it tastes good, how much better can it get. icon_lol.gif Congrats

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 33

lovely cake ,you should be very proud of your self.FLAWLESS

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:16pm
post #7 of 33

What a beautiful cake! Definately should feel good and give yourself a pat on the back! It turned out amazing=) Jen

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 33

Very nice, clean work. Simple, yet elegant. Great job on your first cake.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 33

I'd like to thank the acadamy...

lol

Thanks everyone!

trinity021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trinity021 Posted 29 Jul 2007 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 33

Absolutely beautiful! Great Job.

laneym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneym Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:06am
post #11 of 33

Wow, that is your first wedding cake, it is absolutely beautiful.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:07am
post #12 of 33

Fran ...your cake is breathtaking....You did a great job on it. What tips did you use for the border? Plus your flowers turned out great too!

Teri

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:11am
post #13 of 33

That's a beautiful cake ...be very proud of that one!!!
There will be many more to come...that's for sure!!!

Great job thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Franluvsfrosting Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:59am
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeRN

Fran ...your cake is breathtaking....You did a great job on it. What tips did you use for the border? Plus your flowers turned out great too!

Teri

Thank you!

I used a size 12 for the rope and a size 3 (both Wilton) for the "dots". I did the rope and then put dots all along the edges of it because she had originally wanted pearls. She ended up really liking how it turned out. thumbs_up.gif

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:03am
post #15 of 33

Congratulations! Your cake iw beautiful. You must have a very steady hand!! Wow!! I wish my was!

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:08am
post #16 of 33

Great job!!! I am sure that after this, you will be kept very busy with your cakes!!! Wonderful scroll work and "Way to GO!" for keeping your cool under pressure - "No pearls...No problem!!!" icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun with wherever this path takes you!!!
Lish

icon_wink.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:09am
post #17 of 33

Gorgeous! My first wedding cake is coming up in 2 weeks and I'm really nervous. You are great inspiration!

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:14am
post #18 of 33

Your cake is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so glad it turned out to be such a great success!

Bec

jlewis888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlewis888 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:16am
post #19 of 33

Wonderful! Absolutely beautiful! I am impressed. Your scrollwork is amazing!

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:19am
post #20 of 33

A Big HUGE CONGRATS to you on a job extremly well done

SueB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueB Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #21 of 33

It is absolutely gorgeous! What a cool head you kept dealing with the pearl and flower situation. I wish I could stay that calm!!!!!! Congrats!

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:38am
post #22 of 33

Gorgeous!!!!! My first wedding cake is in a couple of weeks, I hope I do half as well as you did!
thumbs_up.gif
Kathi

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 1:40am
post #23 of 33

Great cake!!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:42am
post #24 of 33

Your cake is absolutely beautiful! I love the scrollwork also. WOW! thumbs_up.gif

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 11:50am
post #25 of 33

WOW!!!! This is a beauty, I can just imagine if this is your first cake what your next cakes will look like.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:17pm
post #26 of 33

Your cake is beautiful!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:37pm
post #27 of 33

Great job! Very well done.

Gale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gale Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:43pm
post #28 of 33

Great job! This is beautiful. Would have never guessed it's your first. It is very elegant.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:48pm
post #29 of 33

So elegant. You are very talented.

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 30 Jul 2007 , 12:54pm
post #30 of 33

Its so beautiful. Great Job. May I ask how much did you charge for this first wedding cake? Again, Its beautiful.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%